PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets in a Mag-na-ported BBl ??

Wayne S
01-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Does any one have a experience with shooting cast in a Mag-na-ported barrel ??

yovinny
01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a 6" mag-na-ported barrel on a S&W 66.
I dont shoot it much anymore, as I like the heft of the 6" 686 better, but I've shot tons of cast through it over the years and havent noticed any special issues or problems.

Cheers, YV

sagamore-one
01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
I completely wore out the first cylinder in my 6 1/2 inch model 29 which is Mag na Ported. No problems at all with the ports. I estimate over 30,000 rounds of cast.

243winxb
01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
S&W M29 8 3/8" works great . The red sight will turn black, but clean up well. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/th_Mag-na-port29.jpg (http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/?action=view&current=Mag-na-port29.jpg) http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/th_IMG_3306B.jpg (http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/?action=view&current=IMG_3306B.jpg)

Wayne S
01-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Since you have the heaviest recoiling pistol of those that posted, What did the MP help with the most felt recoil [ what makes your hand hurt] or muzzle flip where the muzzle flips up to past 90* ???

Heavy lead
01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
I have problems with the only magnaport handgun I have, an old model super blackhawk someone decided had to be magnaported, one of the ports cuts into a rifle land, it builds up with lead.
The barrel is going to get shorted to 6.5" because of it with a new sight installed, a good way to get rid of the red insert anyway.
Just don't like ports or any kind of brake at all on anything, don't care how big the gun is. I would rather have the recoil, or muzzle rise than the darned muzzle blast anyway.

Tatume
01-11-2012, 07:40 AM
My Magnaported S&W 625 builds up lead around the ports. It flakes off easily and does not cause a problem. It scared me the first time I saw it because I thought the ports were being eroded.

runfiverun
01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
i use cast in a dan wesson ported bbl, it's much different than the magna port as it surrounds the bbl.
i just clean any lead i happen to get in the holes out. it hasn't affected accuracy for me.

243winxb
01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Since you have the heaviest recoiling pistol of those that posted, What did the MP help with the most felt recoil [ what makes your hand hurt] or muzzle flip where the muzzle flips up to past 90* ??? Porting cuts down on muzzle rise. Easy to shoot full loads of W296 double action & hit what your aiming at. Never 90 degrees with or without porting. The trigger guard on the M29 would hit my middle finger knuckle on recoil. This is cured by putting an extra finger in there, 2 hand hold. The Ruger SBH, ported, helped more with muzzle rise, as the grip does let the gun roll up. As said above, there will be lead deposits outside around the ports. This is removed with Hoppe's #9.

fcvan
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
I have a Glock 22C which is a .40 S&W with factory ports. The slide ports show buildup of powder residue and likely lead as well. The residue cleans easily from the slide ports and the barrel as well. I have fired the same rounds through a standard Glock 22 for comparison and there is a noticeable difference in muzzle flip.

Watching the flames rising up in a 'V' pattern is pronounced when firing in low-light conditions such as indoor ranges. Smokey boolit lubes are a pain when firing close-quarter drills at hip level as is the blast of gasses. This was generally not a problem as I generally shot this course of fire when training with our version of a 'SWAT' team and I would be firing my duty weapon with jacketed bullets.

I had a lot of smoke with Rooster Red boolit lube and Unique powder which was a rather dirty combination. I am trying a different powder and some home-made boolit lube which has been cleaner from my revolver. I just haven't loaded up any .40 S&W since I made the lube last week. The powder residue was almost non-existent on the revolver with the new powder/lube combo which I shot first checking for leading (none). I then fired my old loads which dirtied up the gun quickly.

During cleanup I only had to wipe the gun to clean the residue. During previous outings the cleanup took more effort so I'm thinking the new lube having gotten all over the gun kept the residue from bonding as well as during previous outings with just the old lube/powder combo. I am itching to load up some .40 S&W with the new lube/powder and see how much of a smoke/residue difference there is.

As far as shooting only jacketed bullets through a Glock, well, I didn't get that memo until after I had fired several thousand cast boolits through the gun. The only time I shoot Jacketed bullets through my Glocks is when I forget to empty my carry ammo from my magazines before I start shooting at the range. Frank

PS, I haven't actually seen lead in my barrel, it is usually traveling too fast for me to notice :)

EDK
01-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Way back when, I had a Model 58 S&W converted to 44 magnum and the Mag-na-ported. No problem with cast boolits for years. The gun got sold to my buddy who moved to Colorado....wish he was closer so I could talk him out of it!

One of my latest purchases was an Original Size RUGER VAQUERO some one had cut to 3.5 inch barrel and mag-na-ported. No real problem other than having to clean debris off the front sight periodically....well, it shoots about 8 inches LOW with 240 grain boolits, but I can trim the front sight and cure that problem.

I would consider other alternatives to mag-na-port. You trade recoil for muzzle blast...which bothers me more! Higher pressure loadings get better results in recoil reduction, BUT I don't load that many of them. The afore mentioned S&W probably would have worked just as well with a set of PACHMAR grips. The RUGER can't be used for Cowboy Action Shooting competition because of the porting...works very well with a set of EAGLE GRIPS Gunfighter model grips.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

Forrest r
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Well, I guess it's just my luck. I owned a Taurus 44mag that was factory ported. Because of the design of the porting it leaded up extremely quick & was a real pain to clean.

They designed it by ending the bbl before the holes. Where the holes are have an open chamber (bigger) & then it shrinks dowwn with a sleeeve at the end of the muzzle. The true bbl crown is back benind the port holes. Here's a pistol that was just like the one I owned.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267839483

MtGun44
01-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Lots of ported barrel, but not that particular brand. No problems, a bit of lead builds up
outside the ports on the side of the sight base on my 629, no problem. Pop off chunks with
a hardwood scraper.

Bill

bobthenailer
01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I have handguns magnaported from the 22lr to the 454 Casull and also 1 rifle a total of 7! in them cast is no problem ! the only down side is that the base for the front sight gets some light lead deposits on the side of the sight base which i remore with a real copper penny and some flitz polish .

suba
01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Cast isn't a problem with a ported gun. I had my ported 7 1/2 FA 454 cut down to 5 1/2 so it would carry and handle better. Porting definitely kept the muzzle down better, but the balance is better now and it's much more portable.

From what I understand there is a velocity loss with porting. I figured that my 5 1/2 is producing the same velocity as the 7 1/2 ported barrel. The only thing I gave up was some controllability with higher end rounds, but I normally shoot around 1200 so don't really need the advantage of porting.