PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Question

jinxer3006
01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi everybody. Long time lurker--first real post. I'm fairly new to casting so go easy on me. :smile:

I'm working on some boolits for my 454 Casull. I slugged my gun and am looking for boolits @ .452. I'm using a Lee C452-300-RF mold and straight WW. I tumble lubed one coating of 45/45/10 and am now installing gas checks and sizing with a Lee sizer (.452).

After doing a few I took a quick look and realized that the driving bands were not being touched at all by the sizer--only the gas checks. A quick check with a micrometer confirms that the gas checks are .452, but the driving bands are .4510 - .4517.

Any thoughts? Will these be likely to lead the barrel? Is having just the gas check @ .452 good enough?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

runfiverun
01-08-2012, 12:32 PM
you'll have to try them, the load and alloy might make them work for or against you.
i'd look at lapping that mold out.
lesson learned here......measure boolits from a new mold.

i have been working over a new lyman mold over for a couple of weeks now getting it larger and rounder bit by bit.
need another thousandths of an inch to make my alloy work.

jinxer3006
01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
you'll have to try them

That's what I was thinking. I was just hoping somebody had some previous experience with this situation.

lesson learned here......measure boolits from a new mold

No kidding. This is my fifth mold and the first one that has cast SMALLER than advertised. I'm just glad I noticed it before I went through too many gas checks.

Wolfer
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
They will probably shoot just fine as far as the leading goes. I have that same mold but I can't recall what size it throws but I think it was .452. I shoot mine in a 45 colt at about 850 fps and while they are very accurate up close ( say 20/30 yds) when shooting at my 200 yd gong they tend to land in about a 6 foot circle. I always believed it was too blunt. It may do better with a little more velocity. I would be curious to know how they work out for you. I have never shot a deer with this boolit but believe they would hit like Thor's hammer
You could beagle that mold also. It works a lot better than you might think.
Lee molds lap out pretty fast so go easy.

stubshaft
01-09-2012, 02:20 AM
What do your chambers and bore mic? If you want larger cut the alloy with Lino.

noylj
01-09-2012, 04:41 AM
If you are shooting high pressure, then a hard alloy has a chance to obdurate and fill the bore. The GC may also help.
You could, theoretically, have a .452" bore and find that 0.451" boolits (of some specific alloy) would work great. Likewise, you could find that 0.453" boolits would not work well. It is all a combination of pressure, alloy, and guns just being individuals.
If you want a larger diameter, use a "harder" alloy.
I stick with as-cast and, if a GC is needed, I break out the old Lubrisizer and the larger sizing dies to install the GC and not touch the driving bands.
Remember, it isn't that hard to remove any leading.
Just inspect frequently, I would expect, with that cartridge.
PS: have you measured the barrel's throats?

jinxer3006
01-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Remember, it isn't that hard to remove any leading.

Yeah. I know. I've used the Chore Boy method in the past and it was pretty easy to deal with. I just get concerned about potential loss of accuracy as the barrel leads during a shooting session which is why I like to keep the leading to a minimum.

What do your chambers and bore mic?

The bore slugs right at .451. I'm at work and don't remember the chambers--I'll have to look at my notes at home.

If you want larger cut the alloy with Lino.

If you want a larger diameter, use a "harder" alloy.

Now THAT is some good info to know. I did not realize that the hardness of the alloy would have an impact on the cast size of the boolit. Interesting.

Wolfer
01-09-2012, 08:54 PM
For whatever reason my Lee 452-255-rf will cast a slightly larger bullet when I cast with a ladle instead of a bottom pour pot. My Lyman molds are just the opposite.

jinxer3006
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I finally got around to trying these things out. I only shot a dozen so far, but with absolutely NO leading at all. Either the gas check is taking care of things or the high pressure of the .454 is getting them to obtruate and fill the bore. Either way, I'm happy with the results. Now if I can only learn how to shoot the thing!! Thanks for the replies everybody!

RayinNH
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Jinx if this firearm is new to you try loading it down a bit or shoot .45 Colt through it until you get used to the feel. Heavy recoil sure makes it tough to get comfortable...Ray

jinxer3006
02-08-2012, 03:22 PM
shoot .45 Colt through it until you get used to the feel. Heavy recoil sure makes it tough to get comfortable

I think that's the plan from here on out. I was trying to work up a good .454 load for it, but I've come the the realization that I need to work MYSELF up to it first!