PDA

View Full Version : It might be a good load

Jack Stanley
01-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Last winter I was using up a bunch of bullets I cast years ago . The mold was an old NEI made by Walt and it worked very well but pretty slow at only two at a time .

What I ended up with last winter was a R-P case trimmed to length . A forty-five grain gas checked bullet lubed with paste wax and liquid Alox and sized to .225" . Powder is eleven and a half grains of 2400 and the primer is a Winchester small pistol magnum . Overall length is 2.050" with just enough crimp to remove the belling from the "M" die .

This winter I found a small batch of "Frontier" cases I thought I'd see if I can wear out . Still I started low and worked up but the same charge works for these too . I don't know how fast it is but I bet it's enough to ruin a wood chucks lunch [smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Jack

Wayne Smith
01-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Cartridge? 22 caliber, obviously.

Jack Stanley
01-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Yep , it's a .223 Remington in a Stevens model two hundred rifle and I'm still using the simmons scope that came with the rifle . I did have to have the stock steel bedded to get the flex out of the stock and groups are much more stable now that the rifle is solid .

Jack

6.5 mike
01-11-2012, 08:23 AM
What weight boolit, Jack ? I'm planning on doing some work with the 223 this year.

Jack Stanley
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Mike , it's a forty-five grain bullet from an old NEI mold . It takes a gas check but I didn't weigh it with a check on it .

Good luck with the load developement .

Jack

6.5 mike
01-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks Jack, the only 22 mould I have right now is a bator, waiting on the 55 gr NOE.