PDA

View Full Version : 1887 Winny

Hednign
01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I just took an old Winchester 1887 12 ga. shotgun to the range today. I got it just a few days ago. Not a very nice looking specimen, but a great shooter. Thing is, this one is one of the first 28000 that has just one extractor. On the range today I brought just brass shells. I did not have any issues with extracting. But I found some once fired plastic shells on the range, and figured I would reload them as plastic and paper shells works better in the tube. However there is one major issues here. It will not extract anything but brass shells. Just tried all kinds of plastic shells and a few paper shells.

So I would like to know if there is anyone out there that know where I can find some parts and make it a double extractor.

thanks

cajun shooter
01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I will tell you that several good gunsmiths have a lot of knowledge and working time on the 1887 original and the reproductions that are made today. They are but a click away on the SASS forum.
Lassister is one and Coyote Cap is another. I purchased a 1887 from Cap about three years ago and although he does great work it took over 6 months to receive it back.
I know if you go to the SASS forum you will find what you seek if you do a search or post a question.
I had more fun shooting my 87 with BP loads for a few years and It was my favorite gun to use. I did however find that out of all the hulls that I used the brass were the hardest to eject and that was with a model that had two extractors.
I used the Federal and Fiocchi Paper hulls and never had a problem.
Coyote Cap does say that he has the best luck with hulls that have a case rim that is no larger than .05 I also had no problem firing the Remington STS or Nitro 27 hulls.
You may have an enlarged chamber or just a bad extractor.
The gun was designed by John M Browning at the request of Winchester. Some of the early models also had weak barrels that showed problems with the firing of BP shells. I would have the gun checked by one of the known smiths that work on them. Take Care http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_59204ef26844419d4.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3076)[url=http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?

Hednign
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Thank you. I will do a little research and enlighten myself. You might be right, perhaps this one has a big chamber. All the used shells I have found rattles a bit in there.

I have send a request to Ballistic Products asking if they got some empty paper hulls in stock. Their pages says so, but I havent received an answer yet. Thay might be primed, and that makes it difficult to send them across the Atlantic. I send an email to Cheddite in Italy aswell just to check if they can send me some empty hulls. I want this old timer back in business.

I got one 10 guage 1887 too, used just plastic hulls. Double extractors.. Not a big succsess. They kind of "welds" to the chamber walls and makes extraction very hard. So far I have not yet been able to find anyone that makes 10 ga paper hulls. Cant find any old shells either. Rocky Mountain Cartridge got them brass hulls for it, but they are spendy. And they are not a very good partner with a repeating shotgun. Is there a recipe to make paper hulls yourself? Using the brass out of plastic hulls or somehing.... I guess not as I have heard that it is an itchy process.

Springfield
01-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Make sure you don't use ribbed plastic hulls, they are more difficult to extract than the smooth ones. They work fine in my Chinese copy '87 12 ga.

Muddy Creek Sam
01-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Try contacting Fireball over on the SASS Wire, Lassiter also my be able to handle the job.

Sam :D

Hednign
01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the advice... Keep them coming.

I actually tried to log in, but it failed. Ill try again.

The hulls I got for the 10 gauge is the ribbed ones. Only one they got when I ordered for some hulls. I wonder if it helps to glue some aluminum foil on the inside of the hull to prevent the heat a bit. Or on the outside, but crimping would become kind of iffy.

Oh, and one little question about how these 87`s lock up. Is it just those two areas in the rear that lock up or is it something more? I got a feeling that most of the stress is taken cared of by the casing itself. By pressure and friction. So a low pressure load makes more stress to the rear than a high pressure load. Just because a low pressure load wount make the casing stick to the chamber walls. Thats my thought on any black powder cartridge, smokeless is a different world though. Any opinions?

cajun shooter
01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
You have as many others on this forum failed to show your location. When you ask a question you will receive answers that pertain to people living in the the USA.
Your comment about shipping across the Alantic would have changed my original answer to you.
If you would be so kind to disclose your location it would be a great help in trying to render help in your request. Later David

Hednign
01-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Sorry about that. I totally forgot. It should show my location now. Eastern Norway. About one hour east of Oslo...