PDA

View Full Version : my new venture

Phat Man Mike
01-07-2012, 12:50 PM
well it's been the works for a bit, but I start school Tuesday morning at Murray State . I hope to be accepted into the gunsmith program. but my first classes will be math ,history, and of course English. so don't know how much interweeb time I'll be having. :coffee:

blackthorn
01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Good for you! Best of luck into the future!

Olevern
01-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Great, go out and pursue that dream.

beagle
01-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Good going and hang in. Murray's in a good area and LBL has a pretty good range. You'll enjoy any free time./beagle

Recluse
01-07-2012, 02:58 PM
GOOD job!

I'm looking to retire "full time" end of this year and wondering about going back to school--a trade school--to learn something new.

Gunsmithing fascinates me, as does machining.

Have no idea what I'm going to do.

Keep your head in the books but take time to come up for well-deserved air.

:coffee:

exile
01-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Good for you. Hope you enjoy it.

exile

WILCO
01-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I start school Tuesday morning at Murray State .

That's great! Best wishes in your endeavor.

Phat Man Mike
01-07-2012, 08:16 PM
well it's been on the burner for a while. the professor only accepts 20 students a year and I've been waiting for a while. I had my interview last fall and will start with the other classes this semester. when I took the tour of the school it was nice and looks like you learn how to be more than a parts swapper. I made a mistake and sent in for some stuff from penn-foster . YIKES that was a real joke.

canyon-ghost
01-07-2012, 08:22 PM
This is a selfish question, granted: Are we to have another CastBoolits gunsmith on board?

Crawdaddy
01-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Fantastic...good luck and keep pursuing the gunsmith gig.

Phat Man Mike
01-18-2012, 01:25 PM
well folks I'm here at school. and the shock is still going on! the youth going here scares the pants of me. lazy no dressing and stupid. I mean MTV is all that's played in the lunch room. YIKES

oneokie
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
well folks I'm here at school. and the shock is still going on! the youth going here scares the pants of me. lazy no dressing and stupid. I mean MTV is all that's played in the lunch room. YIKES

I've been to the campus several times and have never encountered the type of people you describe.

Phat Man Mike
01-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I've been to the campus several times and have never encountered the type of people you describe.

what class room did you stop in? I'm living here on campus and have to eat in the lunch room and all it play's is MTV u, and in my classes the students sleep, play with their I phones. now the gunsmith group is a different bunch! all of them are great folks. ( but they have a dress code in the class)

ErikO
01-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Congrats! Like Recluse, I'm interested in machining and gunsmithing. I'm kicking myself soundly for avoiding metal shop.

When I had the option both my brothers were machinists and both developed an allergic reaction to some of the newer die cutting solvents. Also, they were both struggling with horrible work enviornments and suggested that I try computers. Now I find myself almost lusting after the milling machines my brother has in his basement for his brassworks.

Never too late to learn a new hobby/trade. :) If you do what you love and get money doing it, it isn't work.

oneokie
01-20-2012, 03:21 PM
what class room did you stop in? I'm living here on campus and have to eat in the lunch room and all it play's is MTV u, and in my classes the students sleep, play with their I phones. now the gunsmith group is a different bunch! all of them are great folks. ( but they have a dress code in the class)

The gunsmith building and the animal science building.

Phat Man Mike
01-28-2012, 10:27 AM
well I made a mad break and caught a ride home this weekend. ( going to shoot some stuff up!)

Phat Man Mike
01-28-2012, 10:29 AM
The gunsmith building and the animal science building.

those two departments have better student codes than the GEN ed ones. I share a dorm with 3 of the gun guy's nice people polite and will offer help . it's the others and that MTV.U that bites.:takinWiz:

smoked turkey
01-28-2012, 10:36 AM
I envy you. From the posts you have made I sense that you will go to the head of the class. I believe many times that "older" folks do better because they have more desire to be there and tend to have their head more screwed on straight if you know what I mean. How many hours do you have to have to graduate? I am not sure but it sounds with the other classes you are going after a college degree. Good deal and Godspeed.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I envy you. From the posts you have made I sense that you will go to the head of the class. I believe many times that "older" folks do better because they have more desire to be there and tend to have their head more screwed on straight if you know what I mean. How many hours do you have to have to graduate? I am not sure but it sounds with the other classes you are going after a college degree. Good deal and Godspeed.

I think it's called Maturity.

WILCO
01-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I think it's called Maturity.

Yep. College is another thing big brother has messed up. Too easy to get loans and everyone is entitled to go. :veryconfu

ErikO
01-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Gotta put folks somewhere, with the lack of factories these days.

Phat Man Mike
02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
well the two young men that I share a dorm room with are looking for ways to help fund their class projects. I've told them we could sell brass on here to help. does anyone see a problem with that. they just don't have the extra money to get all their mauser parts need. must use a after market trigger and a few other things. :)

oneokie
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
well the two young men that I share a dorm room with are looking for ways to help fund their class projects. I've told them we could sell brass on here to help. does anyone see a problem with that. they just don't have the extra money to get all their mauser parts need. must use a after market trigger and a few other things. :)

Have them join and be active participants on the forum so they get the reqired number of posts. Make sure they understand the header in S&S.

44fanatic
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Well dang, If you need a material for your class, I got a sportorized 1917 that needs some work.

waksupi
02-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Mike, if you wanted to be the middle man and handle the sales, that would work. Just keep in mind if you do, that you will be ultimately responsible to see to it that all deals are followed through on.

ErikO
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
I'd have no problem buying brass from folks trying to put themselves through school. :)

Phat Man Mike
02-02-2012, 09:09 PM
ok figured I'd need to make sure the brass was handled right and shipped. the young guy's are in class 50 to 60 hrs a week. and don't do much interweebin. we have some 41 mag brass in the cleaner and .38 waiting . they are making fixtures to work on the Mauser rifle. I took one of them home last weekend and we shot some different pistols and rifles at the house. he's hooked on casting and hand loading. next time he wants to try his hand at casting.

Stick_man
02-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Congrats PMM. I kinda know what you mean about going to school with "younger kids". My wife and I returned to school to finish off our undergrad degrees when we were both 29. I believe one of the best things you can do is get an education in almost any field (I question the Lib Arts majors though). That is one thing no creditor or government can take away from you.

Phat Man Mike
03-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Well here's a update. In school I'm hanging in there! In the young people area I'm working on it! One of the young men I'm in the dorm with came home with me over the weekend and I took him to the gun club. He had never shot in a pistol competition before, so one of our club members showed him the ropes. :) He was happer than a pig in the mud! We also had time to cast a few boolit's .

Taylor
03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
If you ever decide to come down to Clarksville,give me shout.The wife and I come to Murray all the time for the flea mrkets.

Phat Man Mike
03-17-2012, 10:31 AM
If you ever decide to come down to Clarksville,give me shout.The wife and I come to Murray all the time for the flea mrkets.
I'm thinking you have the wrong Murray State in mind. The one with the gunsmithing school is in Oklahoma. :coffee::coffee: Well I've made it to mid-terms with out quitting, so maybe that's a good sign. :mrgreen::mrgreen: