PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Weights

joeatact
01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
This maybe a dumb question but I have a 308 160gr mold that throws 170 gr boolits. They should be loaded for the actual weight they are correct?

warf73
01-07-2012, 09:56 AM
yes sir use data for a 170gr boolit and you will be ok.

williamwaco
01-07-2012, 02:58 PM
This maybe a dumb question but I have a 308 160gr mold that throws 170 gr boolits. They should be loaded for the actual weight they are correct?

Joe,

Molds rarely drop bullets weighing exactly what the catalog said they would. Ten grains over is 6% above the expected weight. I don't think I haver heard of a mold being off that much.

But you are correct. If the bullet weighs 170 grains. Use data for 170 grain bullets regardless of what the mold is supposed to drop.

You didn't mention your alloy. Most manufacturers rate their molds with an alloy known as Lyman #2. Clipon wheel weights produce bullets that weigh very close to Lyman No 2.

I suspect your alloy is very nearly pure lead. That will cause the bullets to weigh significantly more than what the mold is rated.

Bullet Caster
01-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the post WilliamWaco. I was wondering why my Lee 255 grain mould dropped boolits that weigh 265 grains for most of the boolits. I guess that big ol' hunk of lead that I've saved for nearly 30 years musta been nearly pure lead. It weighed 23 lbs. before I cut it up into chunks that would fit in my pot. That was my first and second casting sessions where I cast 400 .452 255 grain boolits and 400 .356 124 grain 9mm boolits. The smaller boolits came closer to what the mould was supposed to drop. The majority of them came out to 125 grains. I was told that it was the alloy. Now armed with this information I think I'll save that particular lead for use in my muzzle loader flintlock and cap 'n ball pistol as soon as I can afford to buy a couple of RB moulds. And I'll use the load data for 265 grain boolits. Thanks again for the post. BC