PDA

View Full Version : which bottom pour melting pot is best, and why?

Dthunter
01-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Whic bottom pour Lead melting furnace would you buy?

Lyman Mag-20
RCBS Pro-Melt

Are there any other quality makes?

I just found a dealer that offers the RCBS For $350.00
And the Lyman Mag-20 for $293.00

Let me know what you guys think.
I will be buying next week.

I need info/experience/pros/cons/etc.

thanks guys!

Cmemiss
01-07-2012, 12:32 AM
After looking and reading comments here and elsewhere I am getting a Pro Melt delivered on Tuesday.

engineer401
01-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Buffalo Arms is a little cheaper. http://www.buffaloarms.com/casting_furnaces_pr-3902.aspx

jimkim
01-07-2012, 03:56 AM
I bought a Lyman Mould Master XX furnace for $50.00 including shipping. George Damron is THE MAN!!!!:guntootsmiley:

If I couldn't find a Lee, or a used RCBS or Lyman, I guess I'd get the RCBS, because they have a really great two year warranty for the original owner.

Jammer Six
01-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Jimkim, I don't understand your post.

Matt_G
01-07-2012, 09:30 AM
I would get the Pro Melt.
In the interest of fairness though, I have to admit I have never used a Lyman Mag-20.
However, I have been using my RCBS Pro Melt for a long time and love that thing.
It doesn't drip, it's a good size for long runs and it holds a consistent temp all the time.

Looks like the link engineer401 gave you is the cheapest around right now.
When you get your furnace, whichever one you get, let us know how you like it. :)

bobthenailer
01-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Ive owend the lee , saeco , and tried a friends lymans 20 lb pot before buying my RCBS pot, 20 years ago , i do like the lymans mould guide better than rcbs and installed one on my RCBS pot.
When i bought my RCBS pot they had a LIFETIME warentee.

Cowboy T
01-08-2012, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't overlook Lee's Pro 4-20. The reputation that it has in some circles of being a "drip-o-matic" is a bit unfair, as a dirty pot is usually what causes this. Keep it reasonably clean every now and again, and it'll work great and save you plenty of $$.

Lloyd Smale
01-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Ive had a few lee pots when i first started and detested them. I then went to two lyman 20s and had them for many years till they were lost in the fire. they were decent pots but any pot will eventualy wear out heating elements and lyman charged to replace them. I went with rcbs pots this time and have two 20s. There a bit better pot in my opinion although they cost more and should be. The main reason i went with them is rcbs stands behind there stuff and doesnt charge a guy a 100 bucks when they go bad. So far they havent but they dont have near the miles on them the old lymans did.

Shepherd2
01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I've got to disagree with you Cowboy T. After my 40 year old Lyman pot bit the dust I bought a Lee Pro 4-20 and it dripped from the get go. It didn't have a chance to get dirty before it started to drip. I tried all the fixes, vise grips, etc, etc and it dripped. I finally sold it to a member here for little more than the cost of the postage and bought a used Lyman Mag 20 from another member. I've been a happy caster ever since.

I'm not knocking Lee Precision in general just their lousy casting furnaces. I've got lots of Lee products but I'd cast over a campfire using a tin can and a spoon before I'd buy another Lee dip-o-matic. If I had to buy another furnace today I'd get the RCBS for the warranty but I'd have no qualms about getting a Lyman.

Jammer Six
01-08-2012, 09:40 AM
I see that there are more than one dissatisfied Lee pot owners. According to my research, these pots represent the lowest cost pots out there.

RCBS, on the other hand, represents the highest cost pots out there.

So what I'd like to know is this: are there any dissatisfied RCBS, top-end pot owners out there?

ronbo
01-08-2012, 09:48 AM
I used my old Lyman 61 for almost 40 years with some minor wiring repairs done by me (burned off wire ends by the thermostat) and it still worked when I sold it, bought a new Lyman Mag 20 pot last year and so far it has been great, like the mould guide better than the RCBS but Lymans warranty is not the best.

John Ross
01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I see that there are more than one dissatisfied Lee pot owners. According to my research, these pots represent the lowest cost pots out there.

RCBS, on the other hand, represents the highest cost pots out there.

So what I'd like to know is this: are there any dissatisfied RCBS, top-end pot owners out there?

Not at this house. The Pro-Melt was designed and built by Ohio Thermal and first offered for sale at $120 retail in 1978. I bought one then and added another to my casting room some years later after RCBS bought them out. They are identical apart from the paint scheme.

33 years later, no issues with either. Original one on the bench, RCBS green one on the floor at left. Different alloy.

The Lyman mag or whatever looks to be well made but I have no personal experience with it.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn302/JohnRoss_07/021220112776.jpg

barkerwc4362
01-08-2012, 06:29 PM
I have three RCBS Pro-Melts. All have modified Lyman mould guides on them. I also have various Lee pots, that I never use anymore. The Pro-Melts are worth the extra money! I received my first Pro-Melt as a Christmas present in the early 90's. The last one was purchased from Midway when they were on sale, plus the RCBS $50 rebate. A really quality product and slick to use with a Lyman mould guide fitted.

Bill

Jammer Six
01-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Any dissatisfied RCBS owners? Any at all? This is your chance...

Anyone?

Shedhunter
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Good thread. I think my next pot will be the RCBS, most people love them but they are pricey. I think the Lee 4-20 I use now will be only for melting down WW because it has started to drip more than usual, even after tearing the pot down for a good cleaning.

Reload3006
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
when I buy another it will be RCBS ... I still am gagging at the price. but if you want good tools you pay for them i suppose.

captaint
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure I got the lifetime warranty with mine too. Bought it in about the mid to late 80's. I like it a lot. No complaints here... enjoy Mike

Springfield
01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I started out with LEE's have gone through 4 of them. Had a couple of Lyman's and they were better but too small. Still have my RCBS and my Magma(RCBS is NOT the most expensive pot out there!) I do most of my work with the Magma and use the RCBS for all the pure lead work, like C&B balls and some maxi balls for rifles. My main gripe with the Lee's, beside being too small, is they don't keep a steady enough temp for me as the sensor in not on the pot but in the tower behind the pot. Too much lag time, too many frozen spouts. Plus the drips. If you are only dong a hundred bullets I suppose that's OK but I like to do large batches so I am always adding lead to the pot.

jimkim
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
The two year warranty is from the RCBS website.
http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty/

fredj338
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
I've used both & like the RCBS a bit better. For the money though, tough to beat the Lee mkIV. Mine works great,. Don't smelt in it or run it dry & it rarley drips. If I was spending $300 for a bp pot, I would probably look at the magma 40# for a bit more. I like very little of what Lee makes, but their 20# pot works pretty well.

Jammer Six
01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Ah, the Magma. I forgot all about the Magma.

Any dissatisfied Magma users out there?

I'm thinking a pattern is emerging, that pots that give satisfaction cost more, and in lead pots, you can actually judge what you're going to get by the price.

cbrick
01-10-2012, 12:43 AM
My only gripe with the Magma 40# is that I didn't get two, may have to remedy that. I even got the PID for it.

It takes about 10 minutes longer for the Magma to heat up 40 pounds than the RCBS to heat 20.

I tried for a lot of years to wear out my RCBS but it wasn't having any of that, runs today just like the day it was brand new (1984). Now like Springfield I use the RCBS for my soft alloy and the Magma for my regular alloy. There ain't nothing like starting out with 40 pounds of the same alloy.

With the Magma there is a double spout, fills two cavities at once, how nice is that?

Rick

Jammer Six
01-10-2012, 01:00 AM
The pattern continues...

Anyone? Anyone unhappy with either Magma or RCBS?

jimkim
01-10-2012, 11:55 AM
If I couldn't find a Lee, I guess I would buy the RCBS.

1bluehorse
01-13-2012, 12:41 PM
I started casting with a dipper and a steel pot. Decided to move into the 20th century and purchased a Lyman 61. (this was a while back) Used that for quite a few years, redid the wiring on it once. Gave it to a friend about 5 years ago, it is still working fine for him, I just wanted a bigger pot. I purchased a Lee Pro 20-4 or some such thing and have been using it ever since. To shorten this story a bit, ( and lessen the agony ) I just ordered an RCBS Pro melt. Not real sure what I'm gonna do with the Lee at this point. I don't know anyone I dislike that casts, so that's out... well, I'll find some kind of use for it...

MikeS
01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
The Lee 4-20 pot is a nicer pot than Lee's 10lb pots. It's slightly more expensive than them too. It's also a LOT less expensive than either the Lyman or RCBS pots. The only pot other than my Lee 4-20 pot that I've used is a Lyman 10lb Big Dipper pot, but it's not a bottom pour pot. While I'm sure the Lyman & RCBS bottom pour pots are nicer than the Lee, they're also more than 5x more expensive than the Lee, so even if the Lee lasts you less time than either of the other, you're still money ahead!

Having said that, the pot I really want to get is the Magma 90lb Cast Master pot! Magma sells it primarily for alloying, not actual boolit casting, for that they sell the 40lb Masterpot. but I think you can also cast boolits with their 90lb pot, as I'm pretty sure I remember some folks here doing just that. Their 40lb pot is the same one used on the Master Caster, so anyone thinking about getting one of those casting machines might be better off getting their smaller pot. I don't see going with machine casting myself, I have way too many 4 or more cavity moulds, and machines can't use them. But the idea of having a 90lb pot sounds really good to me, I would be able to retire my turkey fryer, and just mix up my alloy right in the casting pot! I currently use clean metals to make my Lyman #2 alloy, but I'm using stereotype plates that have already been cut in 4, as well as a 26lb brick of pure lead, and only use the dutch oven / turkey fryer due to the size of the raw lead I start with, so I shouldn't have a problem alloying them in a 90lb pot. (it's not like I'm melting down used wheel weights, which if done in your casting pot can make a mess as it introduces lots of crud into your bottom pour casting pot).

To my way of thinking, I would say the Magma pots (either one) would be a better upgrade than going with either a Lyman or RCBS pot, as with them you're not getting any more capacity than with a Lee 4-20 pot, just more expense, and quite frankly, unlike a mould where quality makes a BIG difference in how a mould works, I can't see where there's such a big difference from a Lee pot to justify the additional cost.

jimkim
01-13-2012, 05:16 PM
I think more than likely the nicest regular pot would be a Magma Engineering Masterpot, but I'm probably gonna' stick with my Lee's. I cast my own bullets and they work. They drip now and then, but apparently so do the more expensive ones. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=51996

cbrick
01-13-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm probably gonna' stick with my Lee's. They drip now and then, but apparently so do the more expensive ones.

Really? That's news to me. I've been using my RCBS for 28 years and a drip is a very rare occurance, been using the Magma for several years now and I'm still waiting for the first drip.

Rick

jimkim
01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
a drip is a very rare occurance

Like I said," They drip now and then, but apparently so do the more expensive ones".
Thank you cbrick for verifying that the magma pot is the better of the two and that your RCBS pot DOES in fact drip. I appreciate it. It's so nice when you can have someone confirm you observations. :coffeecom

cbrick
01-13-2012, 06:57 PM
your RCBS pot DOES in fact drip.

Hhmmm . . . Seems you left out the part about "a very rare occurance" and only stated that it does. A very rare occurance is a far cry from the piles of lead I've seen pictures of from LEE pots.

Odd. :coffeecom

Rick

jimkim
01-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I just said I thought the Magma was the better pot. Your'e magma doesn't drip, but you're RCBS does, ergo the Magma is better.

Hhmmm . . . Seems you left out the part about [COLOR=navy][I]"a very rare occurance"
Rick
A "very rare occurrence" is in fact an "occurrence". So it does in fact drip, "every now and then."

From Webster's Dictionary: Occurrence- something that occurs.

From Webster's Dictionary: Occurs- To come into existence : Happen

MikeS
01-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Rick: Yes, some Lee pots drip. I'll bet not nearly as many of the 4-20 pots leak as folks would have you believe. Or that if/when it does, that those folks would be willing to admit that it was probably due to their own stupid action(s) that caused the leak. Another thing to think about is this: 2 guys get lead pots, one gets a Lee, the other an RCBS. At exactly the same time they both do something to cause a leak (either getting crud into the spout, etc.), the RCBS pot guy says to himself "This is an RCBS pot, they're the best, so it must have been something I did" the Lee guy says "They were right, the Lee pots are junk" pulls out his digital camera, and clicks a few pix of the modern art that gets created by the leak, and posts it to a forum as further 'proof' of what junk the Lee pots are. Now I'm not saying that this is what happens, or that it happens all the time, just saying it could happen. Admit it or not, but there are lots of equipment snobs on this forum, just as there are on almost any other forum, and because of all the high praises heaped upon the RCBS pots, somebody that has one that leaks might not admit it for fear of having the snobs jump on them.

I have a Lee pot, and so far it works for me. Perhaps an RCBS or Lyman pot would work much better for me, but I'll never know unless I find one dirt cheap, as I'd rather wait to get a Magma pot. And the main thing I like about the Magma is it's capacity. If Lee came out with a 50-100lb pot, I would probably buy that one.

dromia
01-14-2012, 03:26 AM
I've got two Pro Melts and love them, one was bought new and the other was bought second hand, it had some parts missing and RCBS replaced them FoC, I told then I'd just bought the old pot second hand and that the parts were missing but they replaced them just the same.

I've had a succession of Lee's, two 10 lbers and two 17 lbers and they all leaked and I tried every fix anyone has thought of and they still kept leaking, a couple of them I plugged up and removed the pouring parts and used them as dipping pots, they were OK at that. I also didn't like there ergonomics, the spout is invisible unless you raise the pot up to almost shoulder level and I was never comfortable with that.

The RCBS's have never leaked and I can see the spout at table level. Also the position of the pouring mechanism on the RCBS means that they have plenty of room if you want to dip so double as a dipping pot without modification.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a Magma but I don't really need a 40lb pot and I like the flexibility of two RCBS 22 lbers for different alloys.

If I needed a larger pot I wouldn't hesitate in getting a Magma though.

CollinLeon
01-14-2012, 03:54 AM
I have the Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot... Perhaps the "4-20" model that someone previously mentioned? I have not had a problem with it dripping, but I keep an ingot mold underneath it, just in case it either drips or I spill some... The only complaints that I've had about it was when I was casting some 405 gr bullets for my .45-70... It seems that the flow of lead is slow enough that the bullets just did not come out that great initially... I turned up the temperature of the unit a bit and it seemed to work acceptably... I've had the nozzle clog up a couple of times while casting the 405 gr bullets and even with the temperature turned up, it did not unclog... Putting a propane torch to the nozzle quickly fixed it though... Maybe my alloy was contaminated with zinc and the propane torch produced enough heat to melt the zinc? Not sure, but the bullets seemed to cast ok...

bslim
01-16-2012, 03:15 PM
My Magma is just over a year old. I've pushed over 60,000 CAS bullets thru it without cleaning it or having to do any maintenance work on it. And yes I do get the occasional drip but nothing I'm going to worry about for now. I only flux with sawdust and this seems to keep the pot clean with no build up on the sides. I'm not sure what the bottom of the pot looks like because I've never emptied it yet. Being new to casting, I had enough to learn without having equipment issues to deal with.

Recluse
01-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Not real sure what I'm gonna do with the Lee at this point. I don't know anyone I dislike that casts, so that's out... well, I'll find some kind of use for it...

I'm kind of in the same quandary.

So far, here are a few ideas:

1. Fill it up with molten zinc and use it as a wheel chalk for the nosewheel of my Cessna.

2. Fill it up with molten zinc and use it as a trotline anchor weight.

3. Fill it up with molten zinc and use it as a makeshift anvil.

4. Fill it up with molten zinc and let it drip, creating zinc-art, then sell the individual art pieces on Ebay as "vintage NEA-sponsored sculptures." (I really like this idea as it should net me enough money, off of each art piece, to buy a Star sizer for each caliber I cast)

Just a few thoughts that have come to mind. . .

In reality, I'll plug the spout and use it for ladle casting, of which I do quite a bit.

:coffee:

cbrick
01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Recluse, I like number 4 except then you'll get rich and famous and then of course snotty and not talk to us common folks anymore. :mrgreen:

Rick

Mal Paso
01-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I have a Lee pot, and so far it works for me. Perhaps an RCBS or Lyman pot would work much better for me, but I'll never know unless I find one dirt cheap, as I'd rather wait to get a Magma pot. And the main thing I like about the Magma is it's capacity. If Lee came out with a 50-100lb pot, I would probably buy that one.

Lyman and RCBS both have Real Thermostats whereas Lee has an infinite switch like an electric range. I'm sure the quality is better than Lee too.

That said I have 2 Lee 4-20s with K thermocouples brazed into the bottoms cuz at $57 I felt free to drill holes in the bottom.

Since I moved alloy mixing to a smelting pot and quit stirring with a wood stick, my (2nd Generation) Lee Pots don't drip.

I'm with Mike. If I'm shelling out real money, I want more than a 20 pound pot.

jimkim
01-16-2012, 11:46 PM
I don't know anyone I dislike that casts,

Ask anyone, I'm kind of a jerk. Send it to me. Really I'm horrible.

BossHoss
01-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I like my very old LYMAN Model 61 with mould guide. Outworks my Lee , outmelts my Lee,..fatter spout, more adjustable.

Sasquatch-1
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I have the little Lee 10lb front pour pot. It leaks quite a bit. That being said I got into casting to save money.
After nearly burning my face off casting on the stove and having a lead eruption due to moister in a piece of lead, I bought the little Lee. It is a pain having to twist the stopper pin constantly to stop the dripping but for what I paid for it 25 years ago I'll deal with it until it dies. When that happens I might consider something better.

It all depends on if you have a Kia budget or a Lexus budget.

CollinLeon
01-17-2012, 06:37 PM
If Lee came out with a 50-100lb pot, I would probably buy that one.

For a 50 lb pot, you're going to need an inside diameter of about 8" with a height of 8". For 100 lbs, you're looking at about 10" inside diameter and 10" in height.

For the most part, I prefer a pot that is a bit taller than it is wider so that you minimize the surface of lead exposed to air and as such, you should also reduce the lead oxides produced.

BossHoss
01-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Gunshows are the way to find a pot that needs a home.

I got my LYMAN Model 61 for 20 bucks at a gun show. Can't beat that with a stick.

yup, I had to fix her up a bit, clean it, fix up the connections. But boy, it sure outworks that Lee 10lb dripper. I worked that Lee over, and it is a good pot, it works. period.

But the LYMAN that is twice it's age or more outshines it by a mile.

It seems there are multiple tacks one can take in getting equipment. New: budget or premium, or Vintage. It seems to me I gravitate towards Vintage ....

Like that old Frigidaire refrigerator.....it still works at 65 years and counting, or the old ......well you know.

Vintage......and the patience to find it.

sig2009
01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Lee 20 lb pot. I would never pay $300 for a pot to melt lead!

h8dirt
04-13-2014, 08:36 AM
"I'll bet not nearly as many of the 4-20 pots leak as folks would have you believe."

True, no doubt. But, when the flimsy operating arrangement on my 4-20 (mine had the slotted stem with the adjustment screw apparently made from cast off jar lid material) decided to fail and dumped about 5 pounds of molten lead on my workbench, shop floor and everything in between, I didn't find the aforementioned fact particularly comforting. And, I'll bet I'm not alone.

If you have a 4-20 and are happy with it, good on ya'! However, my advice would be to have a recovery plan just in case. Keep about 5 pounds of lead scraps (culls, sprues, etc) handy to use as a "kill shot". If you get that unstoppable flow, just unplug the pot and dump in the cold lead. That will save the situation and allow an appropriate recovery. I figured this out after the first time -- and after the 3rd or 4th time, I bought the RCBS unit.

Doubless
04-13-2014, 10:53 PM
I have two RCBS Pro-Melts and an original Ohio Thermal that I bought used back in the early 90s, if memory serves. I have had the Ohio Thermal pot converted to a ladle pot only (spout welded shut and legs cut off so the pot rests on the stand), and use one of the Pro-Melts. The second one, bought used about two years ago, sits in its original box, ready to go if and when I ever need it. But I am not holding my breath...

Le Loup Solitaire
04-13-2014, 11:47 PM
I bought an RCBS Pro-melt in 1979. it never dripped or acted up in any way; its still in service for me. Forgot what I paid for it then, but it was a lot less than what they charge now. No experience with the Lyman line other than starting out with a 10# pot and a ladle one upon a time. Did have a Lee 10# many years ago...Tough to stir in and it leaked a lot...was always afraid to leave it alone for more than a minute or two. LLS

MT Chambers
04-14-2014, 04:05 PM
I like the RCBS and "danged the cost", I believe that the pot is lined in Stainless steel and if so, should last a long time, won't comment on Lees.

kcajeel
04-18-2014, 04:21 PM
I just read the "limited warranty" from RCBS. It may say what it does but I had a sidewinder tumbler fixed last winter that I bought used. The RCBS people never asked me for a receipt or if I was the original purchaser. All I was told was to send it into the shop with a note and they'd fix it. And they did for free.
It looks like they have the warranty but they go ahead and fix it anyhow.
I still buy RCBS when I can. Just bought a Pro Melt furnace.

afish4570
04-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Have be melting lead in my old Lyman Pot and refilling my trusty Lee to keep up with production on my 6 cav. lee molds. Running two pots makes a large run possible without having alot of wait time till one pot heats up enough to be productive.....Works for me.....My old Lee Pot is one of the early ones....still plugging along. If I replace it I will buy the Lee 20# pot for around $70 or whatever they are going for.....afish4570

cwskirmisher
07-20-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm kind of in the same quandary.

So far, here are a few ideas:

1. Fill it up with molten zinc and use it as a wheel chalk for the nosewheel of my Cessna.

2. Fill it up with molten zinc and use it as a trotline anchor weight.

3. Fill it up with molten zinc and use it as a makeshift anvil.

4. Fill it up with molten zinc and let it drip, creating zinc-art, then sell the individual art pieces on Ebay as "vintage NEA-sponsored sculptures." (I really like this idea as it should net me enough money, off of each art piece, to buy a Star sizer for each caliber I cast)

Just a few thoughts that have come to mind. . .

In reality, I'll plug the spout and use it for ladle casting, of which I do quite a bit.

:coffee:

OK - Lee is getting an undeserved bad rap. I have been using a Lee Pro-4 20 lb bottom pour pot for 20 years now. It never fails. It occasionally drips, but a quick turn of the stem fixes it. Clog? A paper clip up the spout fixes it. 20 years, and it works as advertised. Like you, I use a dipper for larger caliber moulds, and with that configuration, it works flawlessly - my usual process. If you try to adjust the flow to get maximum, you can over adjust and the spout will not completely close - probably what is happening to many who say it continually drips - just trying to get too much from the spout. For the money, the Lee Pro 4-20 is a best buy. The new production have a removable/replaceable spout that just screws out/in. Lee also has a refurbishment program for 50% of retail - send in your tired pot, they send it back as new, with a new warranty. Since I really don't like to use the bottom pour much, if anymore, my next pot will be the Lee Magnum Melter. It's the same furnace as the 4-20 without the bottom spout. Inexpensive - yes. Effective - Yes. Gets my vote.
Oh, and if you use 'chalk' for your Cessna landing gear, you should not be flying. Chalk is for the classroom blackboard. Myself, I use a chock for my aircraft. ;)

DerekP Houston
07-20-2016, 11:55 AM
I went with a promelt and have been very satisfied. The lee 4-20 served me well for quite awhile and taught me how to pour. It has its quirks but does fine for the price point. I personally just wanted an upgrade and that's what I selected. If you go that route, there is a $75 rebate available from RCBS, I just got mine in the mail.

Bulliwig
07-20-2016, 01:57 PM
I first had the smallest LEE, without any spout only for ladle casting. But there was something wrong with the thermostat, every now and then it freezes and it reqiuered nearly twenty minutes to get it back to temperature, in this time my molds were cold....
Understandable that I was someday really in anger, went in and ordered a ProMelt. Even if we can buy LEE pots here at about 100 to 150 Euro and the ProMelt is over 500. But since then, I never look back. This melter is awesome. Yeah, it was expensive, really expensive. Would I do it again? I don't know. Do I regret that I've done it? NEVER!!

Wish you all a nice evening,
Timo

lightman
07-20-2016, 07:17 PM
This is kind of an old thread, but I've had really good service from my ProMelt. I also had good service from my old Lyman 10# pot but the cord seemed to be the week point. If not for the RCBS pot I would look at the Magma 40# pot.

Strtspdlx
07-25-2016, 11:19 AM
My Lee pot drips to no end. However fluxing recently what I thought was clean lead in the pot when alloying I pulled out easily 3-4 tablespoons of brake dust or debri. I had always thought my I gots where clean. This has led (no pun intended) me to believe that I'm not doing my part so the pot can do its part. Once again all my I gots go back into my rendering pot to be cleaned for the third time.

DerekP Houston
07-25-2016, 11:30 AM
My Lee pot drips to no end. However fluxing recently what I thought was clean lead in the pot when alloying I pulled out easily 3-4 tablespoons of brake dust or debri. I had always thought my I gots where clean. This has led (no pun intended) me to believe that I'm not doing my part so the pot can do its part. Once again all my I gots go back into my rendering pot to be cleaned for the third time.

I need to get another bag of sawdust for my next recovery melt. I'm probably guilty of not fluxing them quite as much when I started out. I just save all the dross and skimmings and will flux all the valuable scrap back in for the next batch.

bob208
07-25-2016, 12:32 PM
back in 72 I bought a layman 10lb. pot. still using it. it went back about 25 years ago and they put a new thermostat on it. I use it for pure lead. in 81 I bought a new 20 lb. pot for mix lead still using it no problems at all.

the only thing the new thermostat cost me was shipping back to layman.

Pee Wee
07-25-2016, 12:53 PM
I have a 20 year old RCBS pot and about 2 years ago it decided to drop all 20lbs of lead that I had just set up to cast. Called RCBS got an RO# and sent it back. They completely went thur it and put all new parts in it and did not charge me anything. I have had nothing but good dealing with RCBS. That is why I try to buy RCBS when I can.

edwardware
07-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Yeah, another vote for the Lee 20# pot. . .

I enjoy the hobby, but I don't need a Lamborghini of a pot to melt with. I bought the Lee, read the directions, and have never wanted for more.

Well, maybe a casting boy to cast my bullets for me, for free, but other than that. . .

robg
08-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Lee 10lb pot is cheap works OK for me drips now and then so what I keep ingot mold under the spout catches drips ,whole pot is in an old baking tray on my bench so no worries .holds enough lead to cast for an hour or so ,that's all my wrists can take .would never have started casting if it cost much more .

lolbell
08-06-2016, 09:56 AM
I bought the Lee pot as a starter pot to see if casting was something I wanted to do bad enough to stick with. The pot was inexpensive and cheap. The Lee didn't get the name "Drip-O-Matic" because a "few of them dripped". Most of them do. If yours don't you have the exception not the norm.

I am not a Lee basher, there is more Lee stuff on my bench than anything else. Lee makes good products for a good price but that casting pot ain't one of them. If I had not gotten a better pot I would have quit casting I believe. I use Lee molds, sizers, dies, trimmers, and a turret press. All of that works great for me. The pot don't.

If Lee would up grade the bottom pour spout, even if they charged a few dollars more it would still be a good buy. They could put $50 dollars in to the spout upgrade and it would still be a great buy.

I now have an RCBS pot and really enjoy casting. It holds a steady temp and has never dripped, not even a little bit. I don't think I have heard anyone complain about an RCBS pot dripping. It did cost about 4x what the Lee did but I guess it was worth it. I have already recouped about 1/2 of the cost in savings by not having splatter holes burned in my long sleeve shirts.

Leadmelter
08-12-2016, 08:49 PM
RCBS: Bought in the 1980's, still casting like crazy!
Leadmelter
MI

Moonie
08-13-2016, 06:38 PM
I am really enjoying my new Lyman 25.

bajacoop
08-16-2016, 08:16 AM
anyone use the 90 lb magma cast master?

Beau Cassidy
08-22-2016, 09:41 PM

I believe there are 1 or 2 people on here with them. I believe it is 220 which limits most folks. I have the 40 lb'er myself and love it.

No Blue
10-01-2016, 04:54 PM
I've had a Lee 10 bottom pour for 20 years, doesn't leak. It uses a conical shaped pintle into a conical shaped valve body, which I assume the Lee 20 also uses. Any of you know exactly what kind of valve RCBS uses in their $400+ thang? I'm curious as to how it doesn't leak working in the same environment with liquid metal as the Lee's.

Best design would be some kind of circular knife edge on the moveable part that seals on the valve body. That would be a higher seat pressure to cut thru any crud that would tend to hold it open. They would have to be made of heat treatable steel and accurate in dimensions, but CNC would make that easy and cheap enough. Some kind of spring to push it closed as well.

10-01-2016, 05:32 PM
No doubt the RCBS & Lyman are better units, five times the price of a lee but not 5 times as good the lee is easily the best value for $.
Another thing to keep in mind is the numbers in service, I would guess there would be more lees in use than every other brand combined, goes some way to explaining the increased complaints about lee.
I'm looking at adding a second pot and am more than happy with my lee and PID, will probably set the second pot up as a feed for the first giving me a continual molten lead supply.

jsizemore
10-01-2016, 09:28 PM

I bought one not too long ago. I had to run a new dedicated line, but not that big a deal. I've cast with it a couple times. Pour spout is a bit back and takes some getting used to. Total heating output is 3000 WATTS. It's like sitting beside a volcano. It pours some great boolits. After the spout clears from your pour there is absolutely NO DRIP.

hunter74
10-02-2016, 11:04 AM
Cast Master isn't that for smelting and cleaning dirty lead? I've also thought about this pot if I can also cast with it. I see that you can remove the orfice plate for ingot pouring.

Sent fra min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

jsizemore
10-03-2016, 09:13 PM
You can remove the orifice plate from the bottom to pour ingots or leave it on and cast. Pours great boolits or 1 oz RB's.

Kskybroom
10-04-2016, 03:45 AM
Have a Bud that hates is RCBS Pot...
He's getting up there, He said when my pot dies he's done casting..
Won't Die.....

Walks
10-05-2016, 01:03 AM
I have had a PRO-MELT since RCBS brought them out, Hate mold guide. RCBS fixed it once about 20yrs ago. Don't remember why, no charge. Talked to RCBS 2 months ago, they said they would fix a PRO-MELT for $90.00 regardless of the problem, return s&h included.

LYMAN MAG 20 is fantastic too. Had 1 20+yrs BEST MOULD GUIDE I've every used. Had same guide on old LYMAN 61 (STOLEN).

MAG 20 is now out of production. No longer covered by warranty. Replaced by cheap chinese **** called mag-25.

Buy PRO-MELT, find and fix LYMAN MOLD GUIDE (no longer made) to yet. Best thing going.

clum553946
10-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Save yourself some grief & get the RCBS. Customer service is 1st rate & the pot works great. I've had the Lee for 3 days, packed it back up & sent it back. To me anyway, they are an accident waiting to happen & not worth the monetary savings. Also, there's a $75 on all RCBS products right now making the gap a little closer.

MT Chambers
10-05-2016, 10:04 PM
If I couldn't find a Lee, I guess I would buy the RCBS. Okay, this is called baiting and not generally accepted on this type of forum, in fact too much baiting could make you a, wait for it, a master baiter.

Wolfer
10-07-2016, 06:29 PM
I started casting with an old pot and ladle on a Coleman stove sometime in the 70s. Still do on big boolits.
Several years back my sil bought me a 10 lb drip-o-matic for Christmas. When it starts dripping I run a piece of wire up the spout while catching the excess in an ingot mold. Only takes a moment and usually fixes it for quite a while.
Being the thrifty sort that I am when this one quits I'll just buy the 4-20

Half Dog
10-07-2016, 07:13 PM
I have a RCBS and I have no complaints.

shoot-n-lead
10-07-2016, 07:35 PM
I am sure the RCBS is a good pot...but, I am also sure, that it is not 6x as good as the LEE.

However, there has to products to support the saying..."A fool and his money are soon parted"...green pot, is one.:)

DerekP Houston
10-07-2016, 07:53 PM
I am sure the RCBS is a good pot...but, I am also sure, that it is not 6x as good as the LEE.

However, there has to products to support the saying..."A fool and his money are soon parted"...green pot, is one.:)

shrug, it was worth it to me =). my hobby is supposed to be relaxing not an exercise in frustration. Constant fiddling with the knob and it not flowing properly bugged me.

zomby woof
10-09-2016, 08:17 AM
I started with the LEE 10 LB then the 20. I now have the Lyman 25. I love it!

alamogunr
10-09-2016, 08:57 AM
When I started casting about 25 yrs ago, I bought the Lee Pro 4-20. Yes, it dripped some but not excessively. About 10(?) yrs ago I found a RCBS Pro Melt 220V unit on sale(clearance?) at Midway. Since I had 220V service in the shop, I jumped on it. I use both but mostly the RCBS.

I agree that the mold guide is not the best(far from it) so I fabricate my own for use with 4 cavity molds. These guides are usually just 2X4's milled to fit the mold in question. The RCBS lends itself to this solution since it is open at the back.

clum553946
10-10-2016, 05:22 AM

Was worth it to me as well. The Lee drips and is much flimsier than the RCBS. To me, the extra price is well worth the cost of potentially not getting seriously burned! At the end of the day, however, it's ultimately your call.

shoot-n-lead
10-10-2016, 06:12 AM
Was worth it to me as well. The Lee drips and is much flimsier than the RCBS. To me, the extra price is well worth the cost of potentially not getting seriously burned! At the end of the day, however, it's ultimately your call.

Lee pot is NOWHERE near as top heavy as the RCBS...come on.

It is fine to justify having the green pot, but don't make **** up.

dragon813gt
10-10-2016, 08:32 AM

Where is this potential burn coming from? There is nothing on the Lee pot that screams "dangerous". Mine does not drip unless I put dirty alloy in it. I will not pay up for another brand. The Lee pot is priced where it should be. The others are taking advantage of a niche market. I voted w/ my wallet.

Dragonheart
10-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Any dissatisfied RCBS owners? Any at all? This is your chance...

Anyone?

No complaints with the Pro Melt Pot, but the down rod is a problem if you use any of the old H&G molds with the exposed screws on the bottom of the molds. The screws hang on the horizontal rod. I modified mine so I now have a flat stainless guide plate that is adjustable and I also added a wide stainless base plate so I have a place for multiple molds. As far as pots I don't think there is any thing out there that is better.

DerekP Houston
10-19-2016, 06:37 PM
No complaints with the Pro Melt Pot, but the down rod is a problem if you use any of the old H&G molds with the exposed screws on the bottom of the molds. The screws hang on the horizontal rod. I modified mine so I now have a flat stainless guide plate that is adjustable and I also added a wide stainless base plate so I have a place for multiple molds. As far as pots I don't think there is any thing out there that is better.

huh, I only have 1 h&g mold but the screws aren't exposed. I just widened the guides and it works awesome. Not sure how I would cast with that pivoting mold guide the lee pot had, it always moved at the worst moment.

No complaints with my promelt here.

dansedgli
10-19-2016, 06:49 PM
I bought the Lee 4 20 a few weeks ago. The first 2 melts dripped but it seems to have stopped now. I've done 5 more sessions with no drips.

After the first go i put a pid on it. Works great. The pivoting guide is annoying when it turns but no biggy and easy to fix when I get around to it.

Someone should make an option with a bigger pot that doesn't cost the earth.

alamogunr
10-19-2016, 07:17 PM
huh, I only have 1 h&g mold but the screws aren't exposed. I just widened the guides and it works awesome. Not sure how I would cast with that pivoting mold guide the lee pot had, it always moved at the worst moment.

I have a H&G 4 cavity #50 mold with the exposed screws. I made a guide from a short piece of 2X6 with a 1/2" dado down the middle. I secured a piece of phenolic in the dado. The screws straddle the phenolic strip. Whenever I use it I just swing the rod guide out of the way,

DerekP Houston
10-19-2016, 07:24 PM
I have a H&G 4 cavity #50 mold with the exposed screws. I made a guide from a short piece of 2X6 with a 1/2" dado down the middle. I secured a piece of phenolic in the dado. The screws straddle the phenolic strip. Whenever I use it I just swing the rod guide out of the way,

kinda ashamed I had to google "dado"...

dragon813gt
10-19-2016, 07:31 PM
kinda ashamed I had to google "dado"...

Someone never watched "The New Yankee Workshop" :p

Mr Humble
10-19-2016, 09:05 PM
I have owned a Lyman and own a Lee and RCBS.

The RCBS is a brute, there is no other choice.

ghh3rd
10-19-2016, 10:08 PM
My Lee 20lb bottom pour is the best, because it makes really cool drip art.

dannyd
10-19-2016, 10:50 PM
I have a RCBS pro melt, Lyman Mag 25, 4 lee 20 lbs, 2 lee 10 lbs and a little Lyman pot may be 10 lbs. I like them all.

Silverboolit
10-19-2016, 11:39 PM
I have had a LEE 4-20 for four years and it hasn't had one drip. When I got it new, I removed the valve pin and put some valve grinding paste on it and seated it with a drill, you know, like grinding valves on a Chevy motor. LEE's valve pin is a little light and between the steel pin and the offset weight, there isn't much to hold the pin down. LEE should make a heavier pin and I am sure some of the problems with drip would go away.

warf73
10-20-2016, 05:40 AM
Been using the Lee 4-20 for almost 15 years now, it does drip now and then. Nothing like it did before I started fluxing my smelt better, which is key "CLEAN ALLOY".

I really want a larger pot, been eyeing the Magma pots. I really like the idea of the cast master pot but not read much about people using them for hand casting. Would be GREAT to fire up the pot and pour boolits for hour and half and not have to worry about adding alloy.

ghh3rd
10-20-2016, 09:35 AM
LEE should make a heavier pin and I am sure some of the problems with drip would go away.
But... the drip is a trademark!

Dragonheart
10-20-2016, 10:00 AM

The original H&G molds have two big exposed slot head screws on the bottom that secure the handles. I have 4 of the old H&G molds with the exposed screws, but these old molds turn out better bullets than my new molds. I know my H&G #80 7mm mold was made 78 years ago and I have never seen another #80 mold or a cast bullet like it.

I have considered trying to change out the screws, but since I made the plate for the Pro Melt the molds slide easily, so new screws hasn't been a priority. I suspect to do this I would end up having to make the screws and at the present it's not broke, why fix it.

alamogunr
10-20-2016, 10:09 AM
The original H&G molds have two big exposed slot head screws on the bottom that secure the handles. I have 4 of the old H&G molds with the exposed screws, but these old molds turn out better bullets than my new molds. I know my H&G #80 7mm mold was made 78 years ago and I have never seen another #80 mold or a cast bullet like it.

I have considered trying to change out the screws, but since I made the plate for the Pro Melt the molds slide easily, so new screws hasn't been a priority. I suspect to do this I would end up having to make the screws and at the present it's not broke, why fix it.

I would agree about the results with an old H&G mold. MY #50 casts the most consistent WC boolit of several. I would like to come up with a guide for the Pro Melt that would better accommodate more of my molds. I just don't like the single rod. The only problem I have with a universal guide that I'm capable of making is that it probably wouldn't be adjustable so I could vary the distance from the spout to the mold. Some of my molds work better if I lower or raise the guide.

Dragonheart
10-20-2016, 10:29 AM
JOHN, Take a look at my post #85 the plate will tilt, swivel, move side to side and move up and down. It does not move front to back as it will support everything from a one cavity to a six cavity, but that could be done.

alamogunr
10-20-2016, 11:04 AM
OK! I'm convinced. I'll see what I have on hand in the shop. I have aluminum plate but it would probably drag so stainless would definitely be better. I would probably have to have a machinist drill a lengthwise hole in the plate support but everything else I could probably do with my limited tools.

I'm assuming the swivel feature is attained by one screw(flat head) thru the plate into the support. Loosen to adjust, tighten to secure.

Dragonheart
10-20-2016, 02:17 PM
John, Yes stainless works better as it doesn't transfer heat well. Any lead landing on the plate immediately hardens, does not stick and just get brushed off.

What I did was take a short length of round rod and center drill it to the size of the existing RCBS downrod. This would slide on the 90 degree bend of the existing rod. I then milled three flat spots the length of the rod then drilled and tapped 4 - 1/4"x28 holes in the rod so two were on the bottom in the flat spot and two on the side. I then centered and welded the rod to the stainless plate with a flat to the plate. I used 4 set screws then just slide the plate on the downrod and tighten the set screws. It would have been less work if I had a piece of square stock which I didn't have so I used the round stock I had on hand. I think the second photo shows it pretty well.

LeadHead72
12-09-2018, 11:31 PM
So, this is resurrecting a VERY old post, but what do you guys think of an old Ohio Thermal 10-Kilo pot? The thermostat is a dial knob on the left side of the unit. Might have the chance to pick one up but don't know anything about their reliability or how much I should pay.
Thanks!

Dragonheart
12-10-2018, 10:03 AM
I have to say I have never heard of an Ohio Thermal, but old pots like Saeco turn up from time to time selling for under $100.

LeadHead72
12-10-2018, 10:11 AM
I have to say I have never heard of an Ohio Thermal, but old pots like Saeco turn up from time to time selling for under $100.

Someone further up the thread (page 1, I think) mentioned that Ohio Thermal used to make RCBS's Pro Melt.

Mike W1
12-10-2018, 09:45 PM
back in 72 I bought a layman 10lb. pot. still using it. it went back about 25 years ago and they put a new thermostat on it. I use it for pure lead. in 81 I bought a new 20 lb. pot for mix lead still using it no problems at all.

the only thing the new thermostat cost me was shipping back to layman.

Just looking over the old replies. Never heard of a layman before though.

Mr_Sheesh
12-10-2018, 10:20 PM
Lyman, maybe?