PDA

View Full Version : Redding Saeco Lube/sizer quality?

Jerry Lester
03-04-2007, 02:03 AM
In a few weeks when funds permit, I'm going to buy a lube-sizer. I've tried the LEE, and was not too impressed to say the least. It worked but was very messy, and somewhat tempermental to use.

I've been seriously considering buying the Redding Saeco lube sizer. From what I've read about it, it seems to be a top notch sizer. Do any of you use one, or have any first hand experience with them? I know they're just a bit higher priced, as well as needing the higher priced dies, etc. , but from what I can tell, it seems like a very good set up.

I'd greatly appreciate your opinions.

Thanks!

45nut
03-04-2007, 02:14 AM
I have owned RCBS,,LYman 45 and my Saeco. I much prefer the Saeco,,no more shaved sides, holds pressure very well. Top notch.

rbt50
03-04-2007, 02:20 AM
i have both the saeco and lyman 450,i like the saeco the best.

lurch
03-04-2007, 02:48 AM
I've used a Lyman 45 and own an older Saeco that I picked up on Evil Bay for a little under a C note. I don't know how old it is though - it's brown...if that means anything. Given a choice - it's the Saeco hands down. I really like the lube pressure spring. You can run it at a fairly constant lube pressure for several boolits before you need to crank on it some. The number depends on how well the lube flows and how much you need for a boolit. I can do about 20 429421's or 25 to 30 429215's before adjusting the lube pressure with FWFL. 38 caliber lets a few more pass between tweaks. I have not used it with really big honkin' rifle boolits though so can't give any guidance there. For the pistol boolits I cast it's definitely a keeper. Sure beats size a couple and crank.

cbrick
03-04-2007, 03:15 AM
The SAECO was my first lube sizer but many years ago when I got the Star it now does all of my sizing. I have discovered though the SAECO is fairly good at sizing 1/2 of the front driving band (so the bullet fits into rifle chambers) when properly adjusted and the bullet sized nose first.

When John Adams retired and sold SAECO to Redding I bought several of his moulds and his lube sizer, the Star. hhmmm . . . why was the owner of SAECO using a Star.

Rick

bobthenailer
03-04-2007, 11:06 AM
i had a saeco on 2 different ocassions , my only complaint is you use it sidways insted of straight on , ive been useing my 2 stars for 20 + years and will never regret buying them, its like comparing a singel stage press to a dillon 550

lovedogs
03-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I use a Saeco and am satisfied. I used to use a Lyman and think the Saeco is somewhat better.

buck1
03-04-2007, 05:42 PM
I have a Saeco & RCBS. If I HAD to get rid of one it would be the RCBS and its damn good.
My Saeco is proabliy 30 years old , My dad bought it new from saeco for $30.
But dies /top punches also cost more, and sizes seem to be more of a issue.

Sundogg1911
03-04-2007, 11:50 PM
have you looked into a Star? I have a Saeco, a Lyman 450 and a Star. The Star wins hands down! If I could have only one it would be a star. If I could have only 2.......two stars! :-)