PDA

View Full Version : FN Mauser 30-06 back in action

Newtire
03-03-2007, 10:52 PM
A month or so ago, I picked up a raggedy looking FN Mauser complete with an equally haggard looking Weaver K-4 on a mount with a built in Ghost ring on the back but no front sight to go with it. It was $322 out the door after paying the boys to investigate me again and sales tax. The bore was perfect and after alot of elbow grease and a ton of fun cleaning and refinishing everything, it got it's first shots thru it. A quick boresighting corrected the little problem of splintering the side of the target frame and the loads I brought along made me proud to be a cast boolit guy. The Saeco 316 150 gr. flatpoint with 11.7 gr. Unique and the RCBS 165 silhouette with 12.6 grs Unique both shot to same point of impact and under an inch at 50. In fact, I shot some RCBS 165's with 19 grains of 2400 and they shot only a bit higher.

I put some J-word bullets thru it and then back to cast and still just nailed the center of the bull. A real great day like I said on another post. I also shot my Ruger rifle in .44 mag and my M-1 carbine and found the loads they liked the best.