PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation for CB owners, moderators, members and sponsors

Wilson
01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I just wanted to express my thanks to the members here for your help when I first started casting three or four years ago.
The information that you’ve shared with me via responses to my questions or even more so, everything I’ve gleaned from reading through the site has made a major difference in my family’s shooting.
The first year was a real bear trying to get through the learning curve, not to mention find a supply of wheel weights, but we made it.
When I began it was purely for economical reasons. There are six shooters in my family and several more worthy kids in our church. Casting was the ticket for dramatically stretching our shooting budget and it has worked out very well. Up until last year I cast only 9mm 125 grain RN from a Lee 6 cavity mold and 147 grain from a Lyman 4 cavity. 30K boolits later I’m very comfortable with the process, comfortably dropping a bit more than 1k per hour. In addition, my youngest son (17) and his good buddy are able to man our second pot, casting just as good as I can. They also man the Star which really helps!
Last year I started casting for my .444 Handi with a 310 grain Lee mold that was suggested by one of you. I after applying the GC and lubing with Carnauba red, everyone agreed that was a pretty boolit! It has worked very well too. Last year I killed a couple of varmints and this year I took a nice meat doe and a good pig with that bullet. As you CB hunters know making meat with your own handloaded CB adds a bit more satisfaction to the whole process.
I cast my first HP last month, a 9mm Lyman Devastator and I just received my fist MiHec mold in 40 cal HP and I’m on two group buys.
Last month while volume casting 9mm and .40 for the 2012 USPSA season I found my self thoroughly enjoying to the whole process. I cast in 3 or 4 hour secessions and it wasn’t long before I had 187# of 9mm and 67# of .40. That’ll give us a good start.
So all that to say thanks gentlemen. By the way, I just signed up as a TeamBoolits patron.
Best regards to all.

Recluse
01-05-2012, 06:24 PM
So all that to say thanks gentlemen. By the way, I just signed up as a TeamBoolits patron.

Best regards to all.

I would say that the "thanks and appreciation" work both ways. :)

:coffee:

leadman
01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
And how much money did you save??

Wilson
01-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I've never saved one penny reloading or casting, but I am able to shoot a whole lot more per dollar!

geargnasher
01-06-2012, 01:29 AM
I've never saved one penny reloading or casting, but I am able to shoot a whole lot more per dollar!

Bingo!

Gear

Wilson
01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
leadman,
Just went to Graf and Sons to get updated prices for my particular components for 9mm.
If I were to buy primers and powder today, including shipping and hazmat, it would work out to cost:
Primers $24 per thousand
Powder $10 per thousand
Brass is picked up for free at the range.
Lead is picked up for free at the tire shop.
Total, $34 per thousand 9mm
Graf has 9mm Magtech on sale for $284 per thousand

$284 in components allows us to shoot 8,352 rounds.

Time to clean up wheel weights (cast iron pot and propane fish fryer) and cast and lube 1,000 bullets less than 2 hours (RCBS Pro Melt, Lee 6 cavity mold and Star.)
Time to load 1,000 rounds of 9mm less than one hour (Dillon 650.)
Time spent working along side my kids and friends, priceless.

Loading .40 S&W and 10mm and .38 the numbers just get better.

So, I save no money, we just get to shoot more.

Harter66
01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Yep the dollars go way farther this way. Id have to sell the 45Colts if I had to pay that $34 a box prorated out to the about 2000th round at current rates comes out $208 most of which was dies and 2 moulds. Current available shelf ammo cost $1360 for the same 2000 rnds. I'd say that looks like $1100 I didn't spend.

44man
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
You comments are right on the money. Some of us could not shoot at all if not for saving money. SS does not go far and even buying a new gun means parting with treasured guns.
I get shots down to 10 cents each.
The important thing is everyone here will go far, far out of their way to assist. No bloated chests or swollen heads, just hard working shooters.

deltaenterprizes
01-15-2012, 11:27 AM
This a great site, I am glad I stumbled on it!

Thanks to all that keep it running!!

Down South
01-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Hehe, It looks like you got on that GB you asked me about.