PDA

View Full Version : Are you man enough to 'fess up?

Molly
03-03-2007, 09:37 PM
There's those of us who never make mistakes, but I'm sure not one of them. I've had a lot of firearms experiences that - in hindsight - are funny, but mostly made me feel stupid or embarrased at the time. I thought I'd share one with you, and see if anyone out there is man enough to own up to his own blunders and flounderings. So here goes:

My stupidest / most embarrassing firearms moment was actually a series of misadventures due to a combination of youthful enthusiasm and a dearth of both information and parental supervision. Bear with me a moment while I establish the context:

My father taught me to shoot at a very young age. One of my earliest memories is looking up to the muzzle of a Mossberg .22 standing on the back porch beside me. Dad and I were shooting at some pop bottle caps on a bank behind the house - or rather we were competing to see who could come the closest to his cap without hitting it. I don’t remember learning to shoot.

My first gun was a .22 (S, L, LR) rifle for small game, entertainment, and for annoying crows - and to keep me away from my dad’s deer rifles. As I recall, a box of Remington 22’s sold for thirty five cents at a little general store about an hours walk away. And that price wasn’t easily come by either!

The crows in those days were no less intelligent than they are today, and it didn’t take long for them to learn the significance of my presence, nor the limits that the rainbow trajectory of 22 rimfires placed on the danger radius. They seemed to delight in cussing me from just out of range. I decided to surprise them.

I pulled the bullet from two 22 LR shells, pushed one of them up the bore far enough that I could dribble a double charge behind it, and very carefully inserted one of the primed cases in front of the bolt. In retrospect, I don’t think this increased the danger to crows very much, as the loss of accuracy from the loading procedure probably more than compensated for any slight improvement in trajectory. However, it made a most satisfying “bang”. But it left me with an unused bullet and a perfectly good case that I couldn’t see wasting, so I went to town and bought a can of FFFFg.

One of the paperback books I read extolled the (mostly fictional) adventures of Dan’l Boon - a distant relative, BTW. In it, a savage in a distant tree was making things rough on the defenders of the fort until ol’ Dan’l put a heavy charge (‘four fingers worth’) of powder in old Betsy and brought the distant sniper down. The author explained that the unusual measurement showed that the amount of powder was sufficient to fill the bore to the same height / length as four fingers laid across the breech. And thus did I learn the right way to measure gunpowder. I figured that if it was good enough for ol’ Dan, it were good ‘nough fer me!

Well, I decided to be cautious: I’d heard that some folks had been hurt when their guns didn’t take to reloads, so I only used THREE fingers worth in my 22. And it sorta worked, but I’d never seen so much fouling in my life! But I knew how to fix it, because I read everything I could get my hands on, particularly if it was about guns. And one of the things that I’d read was that fouling from black powder could be almost eliminated if you put a little smokeless powder behind it. And all I had to do to get the smokeless was to tear down another 22LR shell ….

Well, that rifle must not have been too good, ‘cause the stock cracked on the very next shot. But no real harm was done, because the rifle itself was worn clear out anyhow: The clip was buried in the dirt, and I’d lost the extractor somehow.

So I needed another rifle. And a summers worth of manual labor for a neighbor was prepaid when he gave me a really nice little .222 Remington and about a box and a half of factory ammo. Man! Those cases were HUGE. With all that power, those darn crows were in deep doo-doo now!

I don’t recall if I actually took any crows with it, but I do know that the ammo didn’t last too long, and I had to buy more. And I STILL remember going into financial shock upon learning that .222 Remington shells cost a good deal more than 22 Remington shells. Fortunately (?), the proprietor of the store took the trouble to explain something about modern reloading, and gave me a pamphlet from someone (Lyman, I believe) that showed how it was done. Seems all there was to it was to replace the primer, powder and bullet you’d shot away earlier.

Well, I had plenty of bullets and powder, so all I bought was a package of primers. Hurrying home, it didn’t take long to drive the old primer out with a pin, and to seat a replacement with the assistance of a gently wielded carpenter’s hammer. (Don’t laugh ... it actually worked!

For a supply of powder suitable for 22’s, I had all those left-over 22 shells that I didn’t need since my old rifle had worn out … and the same would supply bullets …. After all, 22 bullets were 22 bullets, and 22 powder was 22 powder. But having been duly impressed with the effects of trying to add more powder behind a 22 bullet, I decided to play it extra careful and use less powder this time. So I only filled the case about half full of salvaged powder from the 22LR ammo before I gently pushed one of the slugs into the neck with a pair of pliers. The same pliers served to crimp it lightly in place. Man, was it ever pretty, and was I ever proud! I took my rifle out back of the house and loaded it up.

I have been seldom accused of great intellectual brilliance. Sometimes I need to repeat an experience quite a few times before I really understand it and learn something. But that was not true of this particular instance. When I pulled the trigger, I learned an astonishing number of things in a time interval equally astonishing for its brevity.

I learned the value of ear and eye protection, from which I have never since strayed. I learned that there are considerations involved in gunpowder selection besides bore diameter. I learned that the pressure developed by a given round cannot be adequately predicted by the depth of the powder alone. And I learned that a little knowledge can indeed be a dangerous thing.

Well, that was all long ago and far away, and it happened to an eager, but ignorant, moon-shining, barefoot hillbilly kid who has since improved somewhat (I hope). Having been suitably impressed with the failure of pure logic unassisted by knowledge, I’ve accumulated a rather sizable library that fills most of my den from floor to ceiling. I have ammo cans of different bullet molds, I have file cabinets of different types of gunpowder, my reloading gear is probably worth more than my guns, and I haven’t inventoried my guns for quite a while. It’s just amazing how they can accumulate over 45 or 50 years: They’re like dust bunnies under the bed. One minute there is little or none, but just let a decade or two go by, and the place is thick with ‘em. But I only need a few more, and I’m about done.

Along the way, shooting has brought me into contact with some of the nicest folks I know - and not too many of the others. It’s been a trip!
Molly

45nut
03-03-2007, 09:47 PM
the entire internet cannot possibly hold my written mistakes,,but one thing I have done that was not a mistake is this forum and the knowledge preserved therein.

Dale53
03-03-2007, 10:18 PM
>>>Are you man enough to 'fess up?<<<

No...

Dale53

Ranch Dog
03-03-2007, 10:33 PM
...but one thing I have done that was not a mistake is this forum and the knowledge preserved therein.

Amen to that brother!!!

felix
03-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I shot three SEE conditions in a row. Each of the following was to assure the previous was indeed real and wasn't a joke. How stupid can one get!!! ... felix

dk17hmr
03-04-2007, 01:13 AM
I am only 20 but granted I have done a fair share of "what the hell were you thinking" acts.

First time we went p-dog hunting I was 14 or 15 I took my 308 as my main weapon and my 22. I remember walking down the ridge with 100 or so reloads that 788 and a shooting stick. No ear plugs. I got back to the truck with out a single loaded round left and couldnt hear my brother shooting the 223 on the bench less then 20 yards away....I learned something that day, always wear ear protection, dont keep shooting once your barrel gets hot enough to burn you, and not to shoot that many hot 308s with just a tee shirt on.

Another time I was home by myself and I got the bright idea to pull some 22lr bullets, reseat them backwards and flush with the case mouth. Learned about a thing called pressure, hard to open the bolt with a 2x4 block and a framing hammer. No harm to the rifle though I have shot probably 2000 rounds since then.

MT Gianni
03-04-2007, 02:15 AM
When I was 10 I had a benjamin 177 pump. I shot pellets and bb's in it. I would roll out the bb and catch it in my hand when I went to unload it then dry fire it. Once as I was catching the bb the trigger went off even though my brain said there is no way your hand is near the trigger my right index finger betrayed me. I had a wounded palm luckily with no bb in it as I went to great lengths to conceal it from my parents. I did know enough to look for a red infection streak headed for my heart which never happened. I had washed it with water and peroxide but never did see the Doc. I did learn a lot about firearm safety and am considered by some downright anal about where the muzzle is at all times. Gianni.

robertbank
03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
When I was about 14 I decided when my folks were away to shoot a hockey puck with a 22LR down in the basement. First round was a HP. Bullet did not exit the puck. Being afraid I might miss I decided in all the wisdom a a 14 year old can muster, to lay the puck at my feet and try again. 2nd rd was a solid . Went through the puck, hit the cement floor and splattered. I was wearing sock only at the time and spent 10 minutes rubbing my bruised feet. Learning something about HP and solids that day and it wasn't until I reached my early 20's that a few other lessons began to sink in.

Take Care

Bob

Ricochet
03-04-2007, 04:47 PM
dk17hmr reminded me about ear protection. When I was a kid I couldn't stand to shoot anything louder than a .22LR rifle, being very noise sensitive. Saw a set of American Optical headphone type ear protectors advertised in the 1965 Shooter's Bible, talked my Dad into buying them for me, and was happy shooting the "big guns" right away. I've always been careful to wear ear protection when shooting, except for one day in the summer of 1984 when I attended a Mensa picnic of all things, in North Alabama. Several of us brought guns. I had my Italian Colt Walker replica (which coincidentally I happen to have beside me now.) It was hotter than blazes that day, I was sweating profusely, and after a while I started taking my ear muffs off for comfort while reloading the Walker behind the firing line. A couple of guys were shooting a hot loaded Ruger Number 1 .45-70 and a Remington 700 7mm Remington Magnum a short distance away, which at first bothered me a lot but quit bothering me shortly. However, when I left there my ears were ringing. They've never entirely stopped ringing since that day.

DLCTEX
03-04-2007, 05:12 PM
An early lesson that I barely survived ocurred when I was ten and my uncle was 14. He sneaked Grandpa's 16 ga. pump out and shot a bird with it. We were concerned abut it kicking, so I immediately stepped up to ask if it kicked. He jacked another round in with his finger still holding the trigger. I recieved a powder burn across my tummy. In raising my five sons, I always let them shoot any of my guns any time they wanted, with my supervision, thus helping to relieve the interest in a healthy way. Noise and recoil can dampen youngsters curiosity better than warnings, and it didn"t stop any of them from wanting to shoot when they were big enough to handle it. DALE

Molly
03-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi Dale,

...In raising my five sons, I always let them shoot any of my guns any time they wanted, with my supervision, thus helping to relieve the interest in a healthy way. ...

Take a bow sir! That's exactly how I raised my own sons, and they have turned out rather well. Neither has a police record, nor have they ever injured anyone.

I began teaching them to shoot when they could hardly walk, and were literally still in diapers. Yeah, I had to watch them but that's part of the training. We actually had a semi-formal rifle match every friday evening after work. It was held in the back yard at distances determined by how far I could toss a can. It was attended (enthusiastically) by every kid around who could get written parental permission. It was conducted with a CO2 Benjamin air rifle, and lasted for hours - or at least until dinner time. The safety rules were simple, inflexible and rigorously enforced:

1. ALL shooters had to remain within the confines of a fenced in porch.
2. All those waiting their turn had to remain behind the shooter and refrain from talking to him/her.
3. Shooters knew that unless it was aimed straight up for safety, the first time the muzzle strayed from the targets, their turn was up, and the rest of their turns cancelled for the day. (A MOST motivational rule.)
4. Shooters got three shots at a minimum. As long as they continued to get a clang from the tin cans (or whatever), they could continue to shoot for up to ten turns before they had to relinquish the air rifle to the next shooter.

Plenty of applause greeted each hit, and jeers motivated the less skilled. And a good time was had by all (especially me). I fell in love with teaching kids, and have been doing it every day. I especially treasure a photo of our Preachers 12 year old daughter in her easter fineries, very studiously aiming an air rifle in my basement range.

Molly

Buckshot
03-05-2007, 08:09 AM
...............I did that 22LR pull a bullet and pour in some more powder thing :-) Did it in a Remingtom M582 bolt gun. The right extractor and the extractor spring are still orbiting. Blew the bottom of the rim out of the round in the chamber but that was it. Should have shot it across a chronograph.

................Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
03-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I have seen aboriginal hunters make solid shotshells fo rtheir single barrel shotguns to shoot crocs. Firstly, take two shotshells, remove lead. melt down in mum's cookpot, make mould by sticking thumb (carefully) into the wet sand on the beach, poke thumb in from other way to get it just 'so.' Pour in lead. When loading cartridge, use powder from both shotshells. Sneak mum's pot back into kitchen. Works a treat. I politely declined a shot. Mick.

Jim
03-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, gentlemen, all good stories, but I believe I'm gonna take first prize.

15 years old and a single shot .22 rifle down in a Sweet Gum swamp huntin' squirrels. Had a big one workin' toward my calling and I was gettin' edgy as this was the first time I ever went by myself. The ground was wet and soggy and I had the barrel, of all places, on my boot. No more brains than a tobacco beetle, I'm standin' there fidgiting with the safety. BANG!! I shot myself in the foot bigger'n life!! Doc said it was the derndest thing he ever saw. Went right between everything and didn't bleed more than a teaspoon. Big dummy.

Hairtrigger
03-05-2007, 09:38 PM
The most embarassing thing I have done.
I took an old single shot 12ga to the local gunsmith to put a new bead on the barrel. When I picked the gun up I handled the gun then went to pay the guy. I put the but on the floor and the barrel on my hip as I reached for my wallet. The gun fell over and the end of the barrel was now D shaped instead of round.
The gunsmith is a hell of a great guy and did not more than smile as he began to get the muzzle back to reasonably round by inserting small 3/8 drive sockets into the muzzle and tapping the barrel with a brass hammer.
It was a beater gun then and still get use when I float the creek for squirrels