PDA

View Full Version : Casting Metals Pricing?

little willie
03-03-2007, 04:46 PM
After reading the meatls speculation thread, I must ask, what are casting metals worth.

Since I had to quit casting a few years ago and don't foresee resuming it any time soon, I'm looking to clear out most of my old stash.

I've got several hundred pounds of linotype, probably a couple hundred pounds of solder, 50-50, 60-40 and 95-5. I've also got some, but not much, pure lead too.

Any ideas as to what a per pound selling prices should be?

Thanks in advance for any input,

little willie

dmftoy1
03-03-2007, 08:40 PM
WW Ingots on Ebay seem to be about $1 per pound . .I'd say anything in that area is about right. I think the linotype goes a bit higher.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

Greg
03-04-2007, 09:36 PM
I just bought some soft lead (roof flashing) Friday, at the local junk yard. I gave market price $ 0.38 per pound. He had some, I wanted some...we both ended up happy!

jdhenry
03-05-2007, 03:28 AM
I just paid .35 lb at the scrap yard and .25 lb at the tire shop for used ww. Around here in Oregon ww ingots are going .75-1.00 a lb. hope that helps.

As far as linotype goes if I could find some to buy around here, I would be able to tell you but I can't find any.....:( So I can't help you there....

Jeremy

Buckshot
03-05-2007, 03:40 AM
.............LAst lino I bought was $0.75/lb. Had some soft lead on a lead from a friend and they were wanting $0.40/lb. Prices from individuals are scattered between $0.25 for WW's in the wild to the mentioned $0.75/lb for lino.

................Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2007, 06:39 AM
why dont you post where your from there may be someone on here intersted in buying all of it.
After reading the meatls speculation thread, I must ask, what are casting metals worth.

Since I had to quit casting a few years ago and don't foresee resuming it any time soon, I'm looking to clear out most of my old stash.

I've got several hundred pounds of linotype, probably a couple hundred pounds of solder, 50-50, 60-40 and 95-5. I've also got some, but not much, pure lead too.

Any ideas as to what a per pound selling prices should be?

Thanks in advance for any input,

little willie

little willie
03-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi Lloyd and all,
I'm in North Central IN, from the sounds of things, I way undersold my last batch of bullet alloy ingots, ww with 2% tin added, 20 cents a pound and I rounded the weight down.
My loss I guess, live and learn.
If someone's in range of picking it up, let me know and we'll see if we can work out a fair deal to both of us.little willie

Freightman
03-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Cast it in shipable sizes and advertise it on Ebay as 50# and flat rate shipping of $8.10 per box. The lead seems to always move and you will get more than the junk yard will give you.
Set up a Bid Pay account or if you have to a PayPal account and reap the benefits.
line the flat rate boxes with 1/8" panneling, will let the box survive the shipping and get you a good rep on Ebay.

little willie
03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks freightman, I took a quick look on E-Bay and saw some wheel weights and linotype moving.
Since I've had a bunch of on-line and local "chain jerkers", E-Bay was not my first choice, but it might be my best choice.
I'm already set up to take Master Card, Visa, Discover and Pay Pal so that part is ready to go. I just have to set up a seller's account on E-Bay now, but I need to anyway, I've got a whole lot of stuff to peddle to get my life manageable again.

thanks again, little willie

GLL
03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
little willie:

If you are interested in selling your solder I would like to hear from you via PM.

Best Regards,

Jerry

Little Joe
03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I have about 800 lbs of wheel weights.I have about 2000 lbs of type metal i got from a print shop and I have about 4 or 5 hundred pounds of pure soft lead.I also have about 60 to 70 pounds of pure tin.

All this casting metal above I got for free!No cash dollars spent!I didnt even have to steal any of it!All I had to do was haul it away and there is more where that came from.Once the weather breaks im going to get the rest of it.

My shooting lead is about taken care of.Now all I need is molds,molds,molds!

Makes me wonder what Shemp has to say about that?

Out of here,
Little Joe

leftiye
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Another fella on here had some lino and mentioned that he would sell it. Twenty minutes later he put up a post that it was all gone. Those USPS flat rate boxes hold about 50 lbs. and only cost $8.00 to ship anywhere in the U.S. lower 48 I think. Buyer pays postage (if you want to package, and ship it that is). Your choice. PM me if you want to sell some.

little willie
03-09-2007, 09:45 AM
To all that have inquired both on board and PM, I've NOT been ignoring you or just "pulling your chain". Between computer & ISP server problems, trying to get the lead and solder pulled out of all the stash and storage places and the normal work load, I just haven't been able to reply. BUT I WILL!

little willie