PDA

View Full Version : Italian Bacala Spanish Style

StarMetal
06-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Italian bacala is a codfish sauce/tomato dish.

I like the Spanish version which differs little.

Take 8 tablespoons of olive oil and put it into a skillet.
Mince or dice one whole onion.
Soften the onion by cooking in the olive oil for a few minutes. Then add one pound of cod fish (walmart usually has it) cut to large chunks and cook this just for a few more minutes along with the onion.Then add one whole garlic clove minced, 4 oz of pilmentos, and two cans of diced tomatos, little bit of oregano and little bit of parsley. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Then cook this on simmer for 1/2 hours. Makes about four servings.

Joe

ben1025
06-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Sounds like the way my mom used to make it. Been at least 40 years since I had some. You can bet your last doller I'll be cooking in the next few days. My mom used the dry salted whole cod. It was so hard you could use it as a hammer. She would boil it in the back yard changing water about 4 times to get the salt out. Always served it with polanta. (corn mush) Thanks Joe. ben1025

StarMetal
06-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Ben

I don't think you can buy the dry cod anymore. The fresh cod from Walmart is just fine. Enjoy, was the same with me, I hadn't had it since I was a kid...well a littler kid.

Joe

StarMetal
06-24-2005, 05:57 PM
I forgot to say you can put sliced spanish olives in that mixed too. I modified and use both those and black olives sliced.

Joe

MT Gianni
06-24-2005, 07:35 PM
It sounds real similar to a greek fish dish I have eaten several times over the years at festivals. They use whole pearl onions, a whole 2-3 lb fish and it tastes great. I'll have to try this. Gianni.