PDA

View Full Version : Long term storage?

robert6715
01-03-2012, 05:55 PM
What if anything do you use to keep your handloads from tarnishing and, or corroding during long term storage? I was thinking about car wax,just didnt know if it would keep brass from gripping chamber walls when fired?

1Shirt
01-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I just store them in my loading room which is farily cool and very dry. Never had any problem, and have shot stuff that I loaded over 10 years ago without any problem.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

runfiverun
01-03-2012, 06:58 PM
nu finish helps.
it makes the mustang look good too.
i put the long term ammo in ammo cans [i think thats what they were made for] with some silica stuff..

jdgabbard
01-05-2012, 03:22 PM
+1 on the above... My S.O.P. for loading high volume that I intend to put back is: Once finished loading, drop them loose or package however into an ammo can, and drop in some kind of oxygen absorber. After you do that you shouldn't have to worry about it. Since the cans do have seals that is...

klutz347
01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Put loaded rounds in an ammo can and put in some desiccant packs.

As long as the seal on the can is in good condition, things should be GTG.

ku4hx
01-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I've been storing my loaded ammunition in black canvas mechanic's tool bags for years in a conditioned environment. Brass that has been tumbled or vibrator cleaned with Nu Finish will stay fairly bright for years. There is a certain amount of discoloration over the course of a few years but it's more of a bright but deeper golden and nowhere near being tarnished.

Corrosion is indicative of poor, damaging storage conditions.

Crawdaddy
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I dont do anything. I have some rounds I have had around for 20 years. They have been lugged all over the country in 9 moves. Some humid locations and some arrid. I just keep them in doors.

No problems.

Bullet Caster
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I also store loaded ammo in ammo cans. I've got two fat .50's and one .30 can and all seals are intact. I use one .50 to store all my factory loaded, berdan primed 7.62x39 for my AK's. One I keep nothin' but .30-06's in (the .30) and the other .50 I keep all my pistol cartridges in. In my pistol can I keep .45LC, .45acp and 9mm all sorted and in various little containers w/lids. I usually save all the desicant from my drugs the VA sends me and I always toss 'em in the cans. Hopefully that will control any moisture that may build up in the cans. BC