PDA

View Full Version : Thompson-Center QLA muzzle?

Mk42gunner
03-02-2007, 10:33 PM
What is the concensus on the QLA? I am looking at a TC Renegade in 54 cal, percussion. Logic says as long as there is a good crown the rifle should shoot okay, but I'm skeptical of this idea. What kind of accuracy can I expect?

Should I plan on buying a Green Mountain barrel from the start? This might be needed any way the gun looks like it has been neglected for several years.

Thanks for the advice,

Robert

versifier
03-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I have not found any noticable difference in the accuracy of T/C barrels with and without QLA, but it does make them easier to load and eliminates the need for the short starter.

The question of whether or not to go with a GM barrel is one you have to answer for yourself.
How accurate is your T/C barrel? (It might shoot anywhere from MOA to 8" at 100yds with its chosen load, depending upon how well it has been cared for - the only way to find out is to shoot it.)
How accurate do you need? Minute of deer for hunting? Or MOA for target?
How much are you going to shoot it? If you are like most who only dig it out to hunt m/l season then it probably doesn't make sense to spend the extra cash. But if you really enjoy shooting it and will use it regularly, then go for it, you won't regret the decision.

Mk42gunner
03-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks, I believe I wil go pick it up tomorrow. This will primarily be a plinker with occasional use for deer.

Robert

44man
03-03-2007, 12:30 AM
I hate to flame on your party but we have had zero accuracy with one and TC replaced the barrel and it is worse. The rifle has been back to TC 3 times and my friend uses it for a wall hanger now.
It is not the easy load system, it is the TC barrel itself. Some are only good for pry bars. I have never seen any company make so few accurate guns and so much junk.
If you want a good gun, buy a Lyman plains rifle.
If I am too late and you bought it, post results and if you luck out and get a shooter, never sell it because you might never find another.