mto7464
03-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Which seems to give the best results?

versifier
03-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Lyman.

hiram
03-02-2007, 11:39 PM
I used the Lyman ladle for 1-2 cavity molds. I treated myself to a Rowell ladle from Buffalo arms. I got the 1# size and it is more than enougn to fill a Lee 6 cavity mold for 360 gr bullets. I heard some guys have trouble getting use to it, but I didn't. I got the 1# size because constantly picking up 2# of alloy will tire you faster than picking up 1#. 1# of lead is 7000 gr. The six 45-70 bullets are 2160 gr.--1 # is big enough, in my opinion.

Marc2
03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
The Lyman for small jobs. The Rowell for bigger jobs.

Check here.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,123.html

Marc

NVcurmudgeon
03-03-2007, 01:47 AM
I use the RCBS because it is big enough to support my biggest mould, a four cavity 200 gr. H&G. Also, I am a ladle caster and the fin on the bottom of the RCBS ladle is handy for raking the dross aside between casts. I have hesitated for years to try a Rowell ladle because I worry that even the one lb. size might be heavier than I would find comfortable to use for a long time.

Powderpacker
03-03-2007, 06:58 AM
I have a Lyman and a RCBS. I very seldom use the Lyman because the fin on the RCBS makes it much easier to work with.

Lee W
03-03-2007, 07:14 AM
I use a one pound Rowell for bullets and a ten pounder for ingots. They are heavy but, they will last forever.

piwo
03-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Is there any laddle that one can buy at a local department/kitchen supply or hardware store that will work for filling up ingot molds? I use a bottom pour device to cast with and I do have a small casting laddle. I just got my first bucket of plumbers lead to smelt in my new 4 quart steel pot on top of my new Agri-supply burner: It's just occured to me I have no laddle that will fill even the smallest of ingot molds in one pour. :mad:

What am I looking for here?

Beerd
03-14-2007, 02:42 PM
piwo
a soup ladle from your local Salvation Army or Rescue Mission thrift store will set you back about 50 cents

Sundogg1911
03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
i bought a nice cast iron ladle on Ebay for $2.00 works great for ingots. it holds about 2 1/2 pounds. :-D

piwo
03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
I guess what I was alluding to was metalurgic composition of the ladle itself. Other then the obvious (plastic) what do I want to stay away from??

Mk42gunner
03-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Sturdy is good.

I like the reclaimed soup ladles to be one piece if possible or at least have rivets holding the handle on the dipper part. I have an over active imagination about what a cup molten lead falling looks like while I am standing there, stupidly looking at the handle in my hand.

Robert

piwo
03-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Sturdy is good.

... I have an over active imagination about what a cup molten lead falling looks like while I am standing there, stupidly looking at the handle in my hand.
Robert

:shock:

imashooter2
03-14-2007, 09:52 PM
i bought a nice cast iron ladle on Ebay for $2.00 works great for ingots. it holds about 2 1/2 pounds. :-D

Mine is a 4 pounder for $5 delivered. Worth every penny. Just lowball the ladles of appropriate size until one comes home.

montana_charlie
03-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Other then the obvious (plastic) what do I want to stay away from??
Aluminum...

piwo
03-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Aluminum...

Thanks.. I'm going out tomorrwo to buy a ladle of some sort as temps are supposed to be nice. It's snowing right now in the state of misery, er, Missouri, but supposed to rebound tomorrow. Got 40lbs -O-Plumbers lead to smelt into ingots, and I'm itchin big time.

Gotta question: Been scraping off the drost from my casting furnace with a kitchen spoon that saw it's south end get ground a tad in the garbage disposal. It's stainless steel I think. Should I discontinue using it on this little bottom pour furnace or is it OK for that purpose? Everying else is WAY too big..

imashooter2
03-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Stainless steel spoons are fine for skimming dross. I sharpened the end of mine on the bench grinder and tapped it into a piece of dowel for a stay cool wood handle.

montana_charlie
03-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Gotta question: Been scraping off the drost from my casting furnace with a kitchen spoon...
I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you are using the spoon to scrape the crud from the walls of the pot (when empty) anything that works is OK...just don't inhale any more of that stuff than you can help.

If you are talking about 'dross' (as in skimming stuff from the molten metal) again whatever fits is OK, as long as it doesn't melt. For such small quantities (and weights) even aluminum would work, but it gets hot real quick.

Stainless steel is a safe material to use around molten lead, no matter what your need is...as long as it is of a heavy enough gauge to handle the weight.
CM

piwo
03-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you are using the spoon to scrape the crud from the walls of the pot (when empty) anything that works is OK...just don't inhale any more of that stuff than you can help.

If you are talking about 'dross' (as in skimming stuff from the molten metal) again whatever fits is OK, as long as it doesn't melt. For such small quantities (and weights) even aluminum would work, but it gets hot real quick.

Stainless steel is a safe material to use around molten lead, no matter what your need is...as long as it is of a heavy enough gauge to handle the weight.
CM

I asked because once when the pot was empty (though very hot) I was trying to get out the a bit of crud at the bottom and was scraping, and the tip of the spoon "flashed" a bit. I should find one of those long handles "tea" spoons, then ones actually made for stirring ice tea. We used to have some years ago, and they also had a very small "spoon" which would fit in this pot. That internal stopper that runs from the top to the pour hold is hard to clean around.

Gonna run out and get a cheap ladle right now. It's going to be 53 degrees today, and that's a little better for smelting then the cold yesterday.... We didn't get much snow, but the flakes were the size of tennis balls.. I thought they would leave a bruise if you got hit with one..:-D

As for the inhaling, I've just made it a practice to put on one of those surgical (actually they're dental) masks whenever I am doing anything other then moving the furnace from one spot to another. I get my blood checked every 6 months for the high cholesterol, so I'm going to ask DR. to check the lead levels as well, since they already got the blood drawn. I guess that's how they test it, with a blood test?

MLR
03-18-2007, 12:14 PM
If you are counting on your mask for protection check to see what its for. Most ordinary mask you see are for dust and or mist protection. Those offer no protection from fumes.
If you need protection from fumes you need a different mask.

Michael

hiram
03-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I took a lontg handled spoon and added a wood extension on with pop rivets. Let me know if you want a pick.

piwo
03-18-2007, 04:56 PM
If you are counting on your mask for protection check to see what its for. Most ordinary mask you see are for dust and or mist protection. Those offer no protection from fumes.
If you need protection from fumes you need a different mask.

Michael
Good point.. I'll look into that. Are we talking about a darth vador mask as the only option here?

I took a lontg handled spoon and added a wood extension on with pop rivets. Let me know if you want a pick.

Sure... I just bought a "one piece" stainless steel ladle from "Bed bath and beyond" for less then 6 bucks, and am looking to putting some wood on the handles... Pic would be great.

thanks fellas!
piwo...

MT Gianni
03-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Since lead vaporises at 1100 degrees or more if you keep your melt temps under that a dust mask would be all you neeed if you have dust to contend with. Gianni

Griffitti
03-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Howdy folks...

I'm new at casting... been reloading for years with store bought loads.

As far as fumes go, I've been using a nice breeze from my back blowing towards the vacant lot next door. Think that's sufficient?

Griff

MLR
03-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I do believe a good breeze or fan is the best protection too. As far as fumes go i'd be more worried about impurities in the lead than the lead itsself. Such as when melting scrap lead. Ive encountered some pretty nasty fumes when cleaning scrap lead.

Michael