PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 swedish Mauser

twotoescharlie
06-22-2005, 03:59 PM
been shooting cast bullets longer than I care to talk about, but have just started trying my luck with the above caliber.
143 grain cast with G/C, I like to use 2400. does anyone have a starting load for this combination?

thanks,

TTC

BlueMoon
06-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Lyman's 48th shows a 140grn gc bullet with 12.5grns #2400@1435fps to 17.0grns@1741fps for the 6.5X55.

Or, with a 150grn gc bullet from 13.0grns #2400 to 18.0grns @1726fps.

Bill

BruceB
06-22-2005, 05:16 PM
6.5x55...here we go again (grin!).

Can anyone spell, "can of worms"?

45 2.1
06-22-2005, 05:44 PM
been shooting cast bullets longer than I care to talk about, but have just started trying my luck with the above caliber.
143 grain cast with G/C, I like to use 2400. does anyone have a starting load for this combination?

thanks,

TTC
If that's the Lyman 266469, it will shoot very well with 2400. Try casting with wheel weights, air cool them and use the book max of 2400, worked up to of course. Lube the bullet, but try to not size it down.

Oldfeller
06-22-2005, 06:25 PM
A can of worms??? What, Karlna is like a can of worms? Come on guys .....
You couldn't bait a hook with a Carl Gustav if your life depended on it.

Hey, back on the subject of long skinny women with large breasts I finally met the real Barbie as in the barbie doll Barbie. Barbie is modeled after a real 40 plus year old female doctor who works 2 hours every other day at Goodyear giving physicals and taking care of sick male workers starting at 6:30 AM in the morning. She gave me a "go to work" physical just this very morning.

I **** you not, she is over six feet tall, blonde, barbie-formed and still very beautiful (although past her prime at forty something years old).

Now, I do know that physical exams by any doctor are not the most appealing things in the world, but this one was noticably better than any previous physcal simply due to being totally stunned by the attending physican.

Snaps a mean glove, Doctor Barbie does ......

Oldfeller

twotoescharlie
06-22-2005, 06:53 PM
a can of worms is like ambrosia in some instances.

TTC

carpetman
06-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Oldfeller---You fell for it hook,line and sinker. Barbie Dolls came out in Feb 1959 which is 46 years ago. A guy named Elliot Handler designed the Barbie Doll after his daughter Barbie. She was around 20,thus the real Barbie is not in her forties,nor fifties even but is mid 60's. In real life measurements would be 39-21-33.

Bret4207
06-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Only Uncle Ray would know that! What a guy!

Oldfeller
06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Now Ray, you are confusing bits of plastic with attending physicians. I could give a flip about the little bits of plastic but I was absolutely amazed at Dr. Barbie. This wasn't a dumb blonde by anybody's guess -- very businesslike professional doctor type person (in a deluxe packaging). She likely is very very smart (med school was tougher to get into for women back when she did it).

Not fat, very trim. Moved well for a tall woman, very graceful. Hells bells, this woman may be a grandmother for all I know, but she is still beautiful.

She apparently didn't care too much about sun exposure when she was young, so she has freckles and some tight stretchy looking facial skin but I bet she was a pure knockout when she was in her prime.

There really are a few extraordinary good looking women out there, really truely. When you get to meet one it is a pleasure.

Oldfeller

swheeler
06-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Oldfeller; Barbie used to be Barney before the snip and tuck! Does that do anything for your fantasy?

Oldfeller
06-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Barnie huh ... so I got all checked out by a surgically modified pink dinosaur in drag? Naw, I don't think so.

Actually there are naturally occuring long legged big breasted women. They come from scandinavian countries and if you want to see a hundred or so immature ones at any given weekend here in the USA just go to Cedar Park "worlds largest roller coaster amusement park" up at the bottom end of the Great Lakes. They all live up in the cooler climates apparently and flock to places like Cedar Point by the bus-load (along with their tall blonde headed muscular boyfriends). Damn vikings is what they are, those boys would fit right into those horned helmets and such.

My attending physician was most likely not augmented. I don't think female physicians get into that sort of stuff as breast implants are riddled with serious medical issues (many women have to have them removed due to serious complications). Plus this woman came across as an all-business professional type -- not the sort to get her body modified like that. She just was what she was. Scandinavian body type on a tall slim scandinavian woman.

Just a beautiful 40 something example of an ex-viking genetic heritage person who apparently was smart enough to get through medical school.

Oldfeller

Buckshot
06-23-2005, 01:26 AM
............You'll find the 6.5 Swede no harder to get good accuracy out of then any other cartridge as long as you play by 'The Rule'. There is but one rule with any current 140+ grain boolit design. That is that "Thou shalt NOT try for exalted velocity lest the demon in the twist doest leap up and bite you repeatedly upon the buttocks". Amen.

However, the long skinny 6.5mm boolits do very well in retaining their velocity and energy over long ranges. A 152gr slug starting at 1550 fps will knock over the ram at 200 meters. Not like it got hammered with a 500 gr 45 cal slug, which goes over with a 'whump' and a cloud of dust, but it doesn't kick like that either.

Once I figured out what it wanted and the limitations, feeding subsequent Swede Mausers has been trouble free and no hardship at all.

RE: Barbie Doll. I once read someplace that if a real human being were shaped like that, there would only be room for half the current allotment of internal organs. Not a pleasant forecast for long life and happiness.

..............Buckshot

Oldfeller
06-23-2005, 06:35 AM
Buckshot has the 6.5 prayer down pat -- Observe Ye the 1,650 fps second (or less) speed limit and thou shalt live long and prosper.

There is a flip-side correlary to that prayer -- Go Quickly, directly to Hell and Be Gone.

Actually, the longer 6.5 slugs can kill any beastie in North America at the best accuracy 1,650 fps and they shoot quite accurately at those moderate speeds. I suspect the new 6.5 Kurtz mold (soon to come) will shoot accurately too and would kill a NC deer very nicely at whatever speed it can fly at accurately.

Buckshot, tall swedish people achieve their organ space by vertical displacement -- same way the shorter, less trim southern belles tried to do with their whale-bone corsets and mini-waists. Barbie was patterned after idealized human female form that was sought after and did on rare occasions actually exist.

My doc was a "skinny people", tall not much body fat and their internal guts are small because they don't eat very much. Hang a nordic chest on a tall Twiggy girl and you get a Barbie type. Key thing here is my Doc was old, clearly over 40 and clearly past her kids being born. She was distinctive for these and other reasons. She was pretty in the face and graceful when she moved.

Oldfeller

9.3X62AL
06-23-2005, 12:26 PM
You guys and the commentary about the 6.5 x 55 sprinkled with references to Scandinavian women are doing NOTHING to discourage me from snagging back that Ruger 77 from my buddy. Thanks loads.

twotoescharlie
06-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't hunt or target shoot in competition, I only shoot for pleasure(mine) not interested in hi velocity,just want to work up a mild plinking load with cast boolits. I have my own covered range so I have no competition. I shoot rain or shine whenever I take a notion, but as the case may be seems less and less here lately as I am getting up in the years.

TTC

Logan
07-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Oldfeller---You fell for it hook,line and sinker. Barbie Dolls came out in Feb 1959 which is 46 years ago. A guy named Elliot Handler designed the Barbie Doll after his daughter Barbie. She was around 20,thus the real Barbie ....

That's plain sicko.

Leftoverdj
07-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I respectfully differ with my esteemed colleague OldFeller. Forty something is a woman's prime. (probably a man's, too) They are past the BS, and aware of impending decay. They have been around the block a few times and know what they need and can give and are a lot less demanding in their expectations.

Anyway, I am glad that OldFeller's life was brightened. Such moments and such people come all too seldom.

Diamond-City-Bob
07-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Tall
Blond
Well endowed
Blue eyed
Wimmins

Oh, this thread was supposed to be about the M96 Mauser and cast boolits, we are easily sidetracked, there is still hope.
BK

twotoescharlie
07-13-2005, 11:48 AM
what in the hell has all of this Barbie **** got to do with cast boolits?

TTC

Leftoverdj
07-13-2005, 12:26 PM
what in the hell has all of this Barbie **** got to do with cast boolits?

TTC

We are still talking long Swedes, aren't we?

Buckshot
07-13-2005, 05:45 PM
............Charlie, I'll apologize for the guys drifting OT a bit in the course of the thread. It can be a problem, especially when the thread owner doesn't get any answer to their question at all. It's happened here before, and to a brand new member too. He PM'd me and asked to have his membership removed.

It is not unique to this BB, believe me. Our pursuit of cast boolit shooting in all it's forms and for all it's reasons is serious. Even though our boolits are cheaper, we WOULD like to hit what we aim at. After all, we do spend our limited precious time doing it and would like to see positive results.

There are boards that are run with an iron fist, and are pure information. I guess that would be a way to put it. There is absolutely no deviation from the rules and formula. If so, the person is booted, and that is that. These are place's you go for one reason only. You get what you want and don't come back until you need something else.

Our excuse, if that is what it's called.

This BB, while it does deal with information we've all gathered over the years, and enjoy sharing, is also a gathering of friends. At least that's the way we'd like for it to be. Comfortable may be a good description. Lots of the posters here have been around each other since 1997 on the computer, but also many are personal aquiantances from years and years ago. We would like for ALL members to be, and feel the same.

On occasion that comfort or ease around each other lets things drift to one degree or another. It's kind of a family here. At Thanksgiving you may have a few odd relatives, and as family you kind of deal with the eccentricities as a family would. You kind of look over the burp at the dinner table, so to speak.

That's about the only explaination I can offer. There are 4 moderators and at any time for any reason you're (or anyone else) is welcome to PM or e-mail us if there is an issue. We're not always online and can miss stuff.

What we will not abide is personal attack. Foul language and outright demeaning sexual innuendo has no place here. While we may not be exactly PC, we'd like for anyone to be able to frequent the board and enjoy it, looking over the odd uncle(s) once in awile.

..............Buckshot

26Charlie
07-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Twotoescharlie,
Have not used 2400 in rifle loads much at all, but in the 6.5 Swede have had good results with a 140 gr. bullet and 16.5 gr. of 4227.

The remark, to amplify a bit on the moderator's explanation, is that these guys have been sassing each other back and forth a little since about 1996 on at least 3 different sites that the cast bullet forum has been on, and they have a history now. We actually have gone into the 6.5mm loads quite a bit, although that was mostly on a predecessor site so it doesn't particularly help you.

Any way, try that 4227 load and also up to 18 gr. of 4198. The 6.5mm long bullets don't stand up to heavy loads, apparently because the fast twist torques them out of shape when they hit the rifling too hard. That's the theory, I believe. - 26Charlie (pronounced "two six charlie")

Oldfeller
07-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Dear Two Toes Charlie,

What do you want to know about:

a) long skinny 6.5 bullets
b) long skinny 6.5 Carl Gustav rifles
c) censored subjects (long skinny wimmin)
d) illegal and immoral custom mold-cast air-gun pellet ogival lubrication with non-diseling silicon oils

I will do a-b at your pleasure, but I won't do d anymore since I got in trouble for it last time 'cause I got Jumptrap all crippled up (woodified) and I got the local list preacher's wife to writing me endless flame-mails due to what she thought were illegal and immoral excessive double-entendres.

Consider yourself lucky -- we are all now behaving like good little boys and girls and have now for several months at least.

If you get the impression there is a good bit of history behind some of the comments we make to each other on occasion -- you are RIGHT !!! Some of the folks here have been talking together for years & years and years ... we even go pellet gun hunting flocking birds in the bushes together on occasion.

We have done the Swede wars to death 3-4 times on this here list and we will do them all over again just as soon as the 6.5 Kurtz mold comes in a week or so. But heck, pick your topic of interest and we will get the relevant expert to chime in on it for your entertainment while we all wait.

My primary expertise is in making very long 6.5 bullets disappear in flight. What would you like to know about this rather exotic cast bullet technique? I can also make my Karlina jump up, roll over and lay down on its side (but only over on the right side, never got her to go to the left yet -- she's a stubborn skinny bitch sometimes).

<g> Oldfeller

.... BTW Charlie, how in the world did you get your neat-sounding moniker? I mean, whilst we are all hanging around off-topic anyway while we wait for our molds to come in you might as well tell us all about it. Do you have some American Indian in your background or was it accidental?

I bet it is something postitively Grumble-ishous involving one of our favorite toys .....

whups, I almost forgot -- the topic. 11.5 grains of Unique is a starting load that keeps most 6.5 bullets below the "concrete wall in the sky". See, I'm on topic again and actually answered his first question.

Waksupi can teach you how to bend a long 6.5 bullet into a horseshoe without using pliers, too. He uses snow instead. Buckshot & 45 2.1 are limited, they just makes little round holes with their swedes. Starmetal Joe is more talented, he can make all sorts of ovals and partial rectangles with his.

But only Jump and I can make them bloody freaking disappear completely .....

twotoescharlie
07-14-2005, 11:21 AM
thanks for the starting loads, I shoot cast boolits in a carcano,an italian vetterli, have three different swedes but just haven't started working up loads yet, also a friend gave me a 1874 french GRAS Tuesday and will see what I can do with that later, already fireformed cases and made chamber cast and slugged the bore. think I will have to paper patch this old girl.

Moniker TTC= prouct of home ownership,mowing bank at my new house in 1967,feet flew out from under me,slid under mower- lost three toes and half of the bones in my right foot. Grandkids gave me the name "twotoes" in 1999, Charles is my middle name. boy,you old fellers are nosy. (just kiddin')

regards

TTC

Oldfeller
07-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Ouchie, that was a bad one.

Secret of the Swede -- it is too small in the diameter to readily support the stress we put on it with the spin rates that exist in the Carl Gustav barrel. There is now a documented relationship between spin rate (twist) the diameter of the slug, the length of the slug and the fps that are attempted. The strength characteristics of wheel weight lead (heat treated and unheat treated) are also fairly well understood around here. All the data was taken with WW lead.

This has all been discussed to death as well -- but had been refined into a predictive equation that absolutely disgusts some folks as it "seems" to predict other calibers as well as the 6.5 swede. It does the swede pretty durn accurately though since it was cooked up using swede data. It was called the CBI (cast bullet index) and it gets used when designing new bullets so we don't make us any more cruse missiles.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a copy. You will also see a historical listing of discussed or cut bullet molds and how they were predicted to fair when cut, cast and shot.

Yeah, the original crew of Shooters was a real bunch of salty dogs -- this list has gotten real civilized compared to what its roots used to be.

I tease them boys sometimes as some of the rowdiest of the lot are now our moddyraters -- and now them what defended me when I got kangaroo courted for lubricating pellets now are threatening me with censure if I discuss my junior high English class or any other more mundane type topics.

Sad, we used to have some real fun around here on occasion. Got too old, I guess -- all the juice done dribbled out of our fruit.

Oh well, me too. All respectable now.

Oldfeller

StarMetal
07-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Oldfeller

Would you agree shooting the same 6.5 cast bullet out of two different twists, where the slower twist rifle's velocity is increased to match the fast twist rifle's velocity that the effects of the rpm's would be about the same on both bullet's?
If so I've shot quite a variety of 6.5 cast bullets out of my 260 Rem with 1 in 9 inch twist at over 2900 fps and although they didn't make a nice small group, they DID group on the target, no keyholes, no bullets disappearing. Let's say it was 2900 fps on the button. That would be 232,000 rpm's. Way above the limit you yourself set that would bend a 6.5 cast bullet. Now as to round holes, 45 2.1 and have gotten my 260 to shoot a ragged inch or less group at 100 meters and that calculates out to 176,000 rpm's as the velocity was 2200 fps. My AR15 with 1 in 7 inch twist never made any bullets disappear at 3000 fps and I was shooting a very long 70 gr cast bullet that Bullshop was so kind to send me for testing. I had said this before and will say it again. The only way to recover a cast 6.5 bullet shot above the rpm range you come up with is to stand in a very large pool of water that's only say one foot deep in all areas and recover the bullet when you see it splash down. I don't buy snow as a medium that has absolutely no effect on a bullet.

Joe

Oldfeller
07-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Joe posts

"Would you agree shooting the same 6.5 cast bullet out of two different twists, where the slower twist rifle's velocity is increased to match the fast twist rifle's velocity that the effects of the rpm's would be about the same on both bullet's?"

I think you are saying "speed up the slow twist rifle's slug fps until the RPMS are equal", and I am assuming similar slow powders are used to get there.

Joe, a fast twist tube simply treats the slug more roughly on muzzle exit even using similar powders going up to the same final rpms. Punch them both into the CBI spreadsheet and they will show a different "danger zone" range with the faster twist rate hitting danger at a lower fps for the same bullet.

Concrete example: a Carl Gustav shooting a 1.2" long bullet is trying to increase the fps speed of the slug by 30-40 feet per second difference between the meplat nose exiting the crown and the gas check exiting the crown. Fast twist guns simply put more destabilizing "twist delta" into this muzzle exit velocity change scenario than a slower twist rate gun does.

I like Jump's analogy of of a straight fast spinning soft copper wire in a Dremel tool suddenly going bent on you -- and the Carl Gustav barrel is spinning that long thin soft lead slug four times faster than a Dremel tool does .....

As far as your .223 slugs, that example was what caused us to cook up the CBI in the first place. VERY short light slugs CAN go fast even with a faster twist rate (and few are shorter and lighter than .223 slugs). Your .223 slugs are listed in the CBI's formulas and are part of what makes it a good cross-caliber predictor.

Has 45 2.1 found marginally better ways to shoot 6.5 slugs? ---- YES !! Kudos to him, too. Still, for most of us odd relatives at the big family get together the 1,650 speed limit still proves useful and attempts to exceed it haven't borne all that much successful fruit as we low branches on the family tree are stuck with the mil-surp Carl Gustav's twist rate.

Oldfeller

StarMetal
07-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Oldfeller,

The thing that I think blows Jumps copper wire/drill analogy out of the water is that the barrel isn't turning like the drill chuck. Bigger difference. I'm not too sure that two 6.5 bullets that exist too different rifling twists barrel at the same rpm's have much difference in stress presented to them. In fact the one out of the faster twist has to deal with alot more forward velocity then the slower faster twist one if they both are going the same rpm's. Dang, I didn't want to buy a 6.5 Swede, but I may have too now, just to fool around with it.

Joe

45 2.1
07-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Fast twist guns simply put more destabilizing "twist delta" into this muzzle exit velocity change scenario than a slower twist rate gun does.
I like Jump's analogy of of a straight fast spinning soft copper wire in a Dremel tool suddenly going bent on you -- and the Carl Gustav barrel is spinning that long thin soft lead slug four times faster than a Dremel tool does .....

Oldfeller-
Just about half the battle is forgetting what you know. Don't think soft slugs, think properly alloyed slugs. Jacketed bullets work fine, don't they. What alloyed slug will duplicate that performance? It's been written about by one writter, Ross Seyfried. An alloy that has a tough thick skin and a softer core. What alloy when heat treated will still expand without shattering or sheading while going at high speed? Its not straight wheelweights, either air cooled or quenched. Think a softer alloy than can be heat treated. With the right bullet you can then find the right powder.

fiberoptik
07-15-2005, 02:41 AM
You guys and the commentary about the 6.5 x 55 sprinkled with references to Scandinavian women are doing NOTHING to discourage me from snagging back that Ruger 77 from my buddy. Thanks loads.
Ok, I'll take the Doc to play doctor with and the proper mould for my Swede to go please....

Bret4207
07-15-2005, 09:51 AM
For us oldtimers that have been here wayyyyy too long- Think what "Mouse" would have done with this thread! If you remeber his posts count yerself as a genuine oldster.

For the newbies- you'll get the hang of this place. Just remember it's polite company here, there's kids reading this stuff and nobody likes to be pushed too far. We get a lot more out of intelligent disagreement information-wise than when some hot tempered fool, like me, goes off half cocked. Welcome and enjoy.

twotoescharlie
07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Well,I guess i'm a newbie on this forum, dang i'm 68 years old. I've been molding and shooting cast boolits since I was 19 years old, didn't realize it could be so complicated. I have always believed in the old axiom, "ye ain't never too old to learn somethin' new"

Regards

TTC

Bret4207
07-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Well if ya been doin' it that long, what took you so long to find us??!! Welcome Uncle Charlie, welcome!

twotoescharlie
07-15-2005, 08:15 PM
I ain't had one of these new-fangled puters but about a year and a half and I'm still learnin' how to use it. I'm one of them two-fingered typers so my typing ain't to swift.

regards

TTC

Oldfeller
07-15-2005, 10:21 PM
45 2.1 writes:

"Just about half the battle is forgetting what you know. Don't think soft slugs, think properly alloyed slugs. Jacketed bullets work fine, don't they. What alloyed slug will duplicate that performance? It's been written about by one writter, Ross Seyfried. An alloy that has a tough thick skin and a softer core. What alloy when heat treated will still expand without shattering or sheading while going at high speed? Its not straight wheelweights, either air cooled or quenched. Think a softer alloy than can be heat treated. With the right bullet you can then find the right powder."

==========================================

Ok, go ahead and tell us what the magic stuff is and how to go fast with the 6.5 lead slugs made from it. Heck, I'd like to know. You and Joe get all cryptic about 6.5 lately, just explain what you have learned clearly and slowly so we can all understand it (even me).

You done riddled me and I done guessed my 5 times and missed it each time -- so now you gotta just tell me.

Next, hell, go take Dan's mold contest mold away from him -- that's still an open switch you know. It is also why we are building this new mold as it gets on the same order of length/weight as the most sucessful WW slug the group has experience with so somebody CAN go win Dan's contest legitimately.

And remember me, the guy who put the steel dowel pins inside the long 6.5 cast bullets and then machined some super short slugs that COULD play in Dan's contest parameters ('cept they were cheating a wee bit, now weren't they?).

You are just pulling my chain some to see if you can get me back into a full-bore attack of Karlina mania, aren't you? (I can see you a' grinning ....)

...... Ain't a gonna work .....

===========================================

Speaking of maniacs, Mad Mexican and Mouse and who else? We had some real characters back then, didn't we? Got too rowdy sometimes but it was never ever boring. Remember Aladin, back when he did that HBC and that other list's moderator accused him of going off with the money? That was a hoot, too. I can remember when we got so bored we had threads on 1.000 ways to present cats live and airborn to a line of trap shooters.

Hell, I can remember desiging cast air-gun pellets so Carpetman Ray could pot cats at greater & greater effective distances. (yeah, Ray we know -- you don't really shoot the little kitties, you always live trap them and give them over to the Pound when they dig up your flower beds to **** in them)

We actually built one, too. Tumbling Pammy Pellet, a heavy hunting pellet that shot better when it was loaded backwards -- did you know that that Mexican fellow asked my permission to run another LEE run of those pellet molds because they LIKED them down in Mexico for hunting pot-game since they can't have real firearms? I told him sure, the design should be changed to the Brittany version so you could actually shoot it pointy end forward but he liked the Pammy version better because the boat-tailed butt end made a good hunting meplat .....

...... go figure. Life sure is strange.

Yeah, this list has been a lot of fun over the years. Shame it has gotten so convulsed over being "normal" of late.

Oldfeller

StarMetal
07-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Oldfeller

If I would put my 6x24 target scope on my 7mm-08 I'd walk away with Dan's contest mould and you know it.

Joe

Oldfeller
07-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Ok, I can copy that -- I put a 12x32 scope on my son-in-law's 7mm Rem Mag rifle for the exact same reason, my eyes aren't worth **** any more.

I have a 4x12 power on my Kalina, a 3x9 on my favorite Yugo M1924, heck I even have a 3x9 on my Steyr straight pull and a 3x9 on my Marlin 30-A too.

Scopes is nice for old farts with rotten old eyes .... no argument from me.

I also use mechanical gun rests to hold the gun steady (no canting changes) and I worked up a little wooden block with an extender stick to go inside the trigger guard on my Karlina so it can be clamped in place good and still get the trigger pulled (from the bottom side no less).

Jest go ahead and do her ..... she's a waiting!!

You screw around much longer and the new 6.5 mold ships and you gonna have Bruce B and Buckshot and 45 2.1 and Sundog poking all those boring plain old round .264" holes in that target paper all over the place. Using a Carl Gustav Karlina they only have to go 2,040 fps to hit 200,001 rpm to win Dan's contest ...... and the new 6.5 Kurtz slug CBI's at over 2,200 fps easy.

Heck, Sundog wins military shoot offs against jerketed bullet guys using iron sights no less. Some of our members CAN shoot you know.

Oldfeller

Scrounger
07-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Oldfeller

If I would put my 6x24 target scope on my 7mm-08 I'd walk away with Dan's contest mould and you know it.

Joe

Joe, you done been challenged. I'm sure you'll rise to the occaison...

Oldfeller
07-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey Buckshot,

Can you do me a wee teeny tiny favor? When the 6.5 molds come in please ship mine to Starmetal Joe's house instead of to my house. He's asked to use it and I will be out of town when it comes in so I won't be using it right off.

(plus I'm cheap and this saves postage one way).

You actually get a benefit from doing me this wee tiny favor, he'd borrow one of your molds if he doesn't get to use mine.

I'm giving Joe a fair shot at Dan's mold contest now, being all nice aren't I?

That don't mean all the rest of you need to be all nice -- somebody needs to collect that free mold off that old Dan 200,000 rpm contest ..... and I don't care who does it first either.

<grin>

Oldfeller

waksupi
07-16-2005, 01:38 AM
Oldfeller, that is an excellent idea. Joe will have them trained into one hole groups by the time you get the mold. I should have thought of it before.

Look out Joe, all my new molds go to you first!

Oldfeller
07-16-2005, 03:20 AM
Ric,

Considering it is a LEE custom cut puppy, I would be perfectly content if Joe just got it properly housebroken during the short time it was staying with him.

I don't really expect Joe to have to teach it to "pick up the gas check" or "drop free on the towel" or any of those other mold puppy basics. Buckshot should have had the whole litter taught those very basic things before he even weaned them away from LEE.

Expecting Joe to teach my puppy to "group", that's asking a lot. He might be able to do it if he kept it a while, but you know how it is when a new puppy gets to go out for a ride, they get all excited and forget all their training ....

Just so he doesn't feed it from the table, geeze that's so hard to break a puppy from doing.

Oldfeller

StarMetal
07-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Gosh! I might end up moldy!

Joe

Cayoot
07-23-2005, 11:29 AM
(although past her prime at forty something years old).
Oldfeller

I gotta dissagree there Oldfeller, my wife is past 40 (43) and she is just reaching her prime! She gets better and better each year.

Just my 2 cents.

Ed Barrett
07-24-2005, 01:40 AM
Some wine gets better with age, but some turns to vinegar!

fiberoptik
08-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Ouchie, that was a bad one.

Secret of the Swede --....
This has all been discussed to death as well -- but had been refined into a predictive equation that absolutely disgusts some folks as it "seems" to predict other calibers as well as the 6.5 swede. It does the swede pretty durn accurately though since it was cooked up using swede data. It was called the CBI (cast bullet index) and it gets used when designing new bullets so we don't make us any more cruse missiles.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a copy. You will also see a historical listing of discussed or cut bullet molds and how they were predicted to fair when cut, cast and shot.

..........Oldfeller
ME2Me2mE2 I'm interested also.

fiberoptik
08-02-2005, 01:38 AM
45 2.1 writes:

"Just about half the battle is forgetting what you know. Don't think soft slugs, think properly alloyed slugs........
I can remember when we got so bored we had threads on 1.000 ways to present cats live and airborn to a line of trap shooters.

Hell, I can remember desiging cast air-gun pellets so Carpetman Ray could pot cats at greater & greater effective distances. (yeah, Ray we know -- you don't really shoot the little kitties, you always live trap them and give them over to the Pound when they dig up your flower beds to **** in them)

We actually built one, too. Tumbling Pammy Pellet, a heavy hunting pellet that shot better when it was loaded backwards -- did you know that that Mexican fellow asked my permission to run another LEE run of those pellet molds because they LIKED them down in Mexico for hunting pot-game since they can't have real firearms? I told him sure, the design should be changed to the Brittany version so you could actually shoot it pointy end forward but he liked the Pammy version better because the boat-tailed butt end made a good hunting meplat .....

Oldfeller
Tell me more about the pellets. I've got the cats & psycotic squirrels that dig up stuff/break little tree's branches, chew my deck! (in the city of course...)

Oldfeller
08-02-2005, 04:13 AM
Tell, hell -- I've still got one extra mold left that the Mexicans didn't get. It shoots backwards better than forwards and it is big and heavy. Just don't call it any female names and it won't get you into trouble when you oil it with non-diseling silicone oil and shoot it backwards at your critters.

Oldfeller

swifty
08-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Most of the Swede mausers have some age on them so don't abuse your gun.
I bought a mint model 38. Try 10 grains of Unique, slug the barrel, size about .001 or .002 over-size .It will shoot well and won't punish you. These bullets have a high sectional density and have been used on Moose.
Cheers!

waksupi
08-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Welcome aboard, Swifty. You will find the Swede is one of the most cussed, discussed, loved, and hated chambering among this bunch, in the three permutations this board has went through. I can hear teeth grinding already. We've reached the upper velocity limits at around 1750 fps, 1800 on the right day. The actions will stand a lot more pressure, but that fast twist gets kind of uncooperative with lead boolits!

Maven
08-08-2005, 06:52 PM
All, My last outing (2 wks. ago) with the 6.5 Swede produced mixed results using a mild load of 15gr. WC 820 (Lyman rotor #9L) The ~143gr. LBT bullet (spire point) leaded the bore after as few as 5 shots, but fouled it even more after 10. Needless to say, accuracy was terrible. On the other hand, a Lee custom 6.5 mold/CB (looks like a miniature #311041) that I picked up on EBay shot beautifully (under 2 moa with an "as issued" rifle; no leading with the same load). After pondering the LBT problem and old targets fired with it, I realized I'd heat-treated those pills, but hadn't done so since then. Today I tried some heat-treated ones (in a toaster oven, but ~400 deg. rather than 460) and there was improvement: Less leading; better accuracy. I think there's a lesson here. To wit, some CB designs in the Swe. Mau. may need heat-treatment to improve their performance in that fast twist bbl. I'm also thinking that for heat-treating small batches of CB's, a toaster oven may be
quite effective.

waksupi
08-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Maven, I found out a few years back, my Swedes prefer air cooled WW's. the hardened ones just weren't in the ball game

Maven
08-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Ric, As I wrote earlier, it seems different CB designs in the Swede appear to have different requirements. E.g., the Lee design works perfectly with air-cooled WW + 1% Sn, but not the LBT (and I paid a premium for that mold!). For reasons I can't fathom, its droppings need heat-treatment, which I used to do (accuracy was better too): The next batch will be heat-treated properly, i.e., when I feel the need to park myself in front of the toaster oven and wait to see at what temperature (dial setting) the bullets begin to slump.

fiberoptik
08-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Tell me more of this pellet mould. I've never seen a mould for pellets. Might be something my chinese air rifles would like....

fiberoptik
08-24-2005, 12:14 AM
>>Tell, hell -- I've still got one extra mold left that the Mexicans didn't get. It shoots backwards better than forwards and it is big and heavy. Just don't call it any female names and it won't get you into trouble when you oil it with non-diseling silicone oil and shoot it backwards at your critters.

Oldfeller
>>

Tell me more of this pellet mould. I've never seen a mould for pellets. Might be something my chinese air rifles would like....

fiberoptik
08-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Tell, hell -- I've still got one extra mold left that the Mexicans didn't get. It shoots backwards better than forwards and it is big and heavy. Just don't call it any female names and it won't get you into trouble when you oil it with non-diseling silicone oil and shoot it backwards at your critters.

fiberoptik

carpetman
08-24-2005, 02:38 AM
fiberoptik---The pellet mold was actually counter to what I want in an air rifle. The idea was that being heavier(around 25 grains as compared to the 10.5 grain pellets I normally shoot)it would carry farther, pack more wallop and deeper penetration. I shoot my air guns in the back yard and vs carrying farther,I'd like to have a parachute open up at 35 yards to stop them. well it worked out that the bullet tumbled very badly. Some guy from Mexico reported they shot good if shot backwards. I tried them backwards and didnt get the penetration in wood that I got from lighter pellets---nor the accuracy.Actually casting them wasn't much of a pain---despite all the horror stories you hear about casting small bullets. Even so,unless they performed extra ordinarily fantastic,I wouldn't cast pellets considering their low cost.

Oldfeller
08-24-2005, 03:00 AM
Yep, what Ray said. S'a plain truth. Plus your chinese air rifle has a 14 to 16 twist rate (dong feu plant or other Chinese maker -- depends) which would really dislike the long heavy pellet if fired forwards. Backwards, you would likely lack the power to make it fly very fast.

I sent you the CBI spreadsheet twice now -- send me your current use e-mail address and I'll poke it there as well.

Oldfeller