PDA

View Full Version : I did it

Freightman
03-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I got round holes not oblong, here is the story. I bought a French 1866/74 GRAS at the last gun show with some loaded ammo loaded with a 400g .432 boolit when I shot it it made a hole just as long as the boolit. So I slugged the barrel and found it to be .457+ and all I had was a 190g mould which was not very long and it turned sideways. I then ordered a .458 mould that cast a 450g boolit loaded some went to the range and it shot round holes and a decent group at 50 yds 4", when I say decent it is a lot better than sideways and hitting the target if I was lucky. Used a 25g load of sr4759 the old gun is a hoot to shoot I am happy.

cbrick
03-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Freightman, this is good.

http://www.lasc.us/smiley.gif

Buckshot
03-03-2007, 11:40 AM
.............Ah, sweet success! You will probably be able to refine our load and maybe cut those groups in half if the rifle is mechanicly capable of it.

................Buckshot

Freightman
03-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I will get some gas cks as the boolit mould I got is designed for them and see what that does. I got 18 cases for the rifle and they are formed from 348 Winchester brass, need to find out how I am going to form them as I do not have any dies at this time I have not been sizing the cases at all just using my 45 Colt seating die to seat the boolit and it works fine. I deprime with a awol and a hammer and the 45/70 shell holder works with my hand primmer. Use what you have is what I have been dioing until I found a boolit that worked.

Bass Ackward
03-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Neat! Like all them space shows, I find first contact with a new gun and caliber, the most fun.

BudRow
03-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I just take a 348 Win. case and put in a 15 gr. charge of Unique followed by a tuft of kleenex. On top of that, pack it full of corn meal and tamp it tight then top it off with another tuft of tissue and fireform. This will blow out the case to the chamber contour then go from there.

Freightman
03-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I just take a 348 Win. case and put in a 15 gr. charge of Unique followed by a tuft of kleenex. On top of that, pack it full of corn meal and tamp it tight then top it off with another tuft of tissue and fireform. This will blow out the case to the chamber contour then go from there.

Thanks a lot! I learn so much here glad I ask as I would have never thought of that.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
03-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Freightman, I used that method to make some 43 Span cases from 348, I had some spectacular case splits till I annealed the neck/shoulder area. Worked like a charm forming 38-50 Rem from 30-40 krag cases, maybe my 348s were hard?
Nick

Freightman
03-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Will do that for sure to make sure, thanks, I went and shot the loads I had loaded up at 25 yds and was surprised at the accuracy without GC all were in the 10 ring after I found the point of aim so I could Kentuckey windage it. I also ordered 50 cases and some GC's should be here Wednesday.
BOY THIS IS FUN!!!!!

Buckshot
03-05-2007, 03:21 AM
.........Freightman, After you get that one all settled in it'll be time to go out and find some other old foreign whacked out military job to start over with :-) The joys just never end!

................Buckshot