PDA

View Full Version : TL432-285 in 44mag OAL

armexman
03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi all, I would like to ask those who have this mould in eitherof its incarnations, as to what groove are you crimping on. I loaded the first of my boolits for my 336-44 with this boolit at .432 size and crimped at the crimp groove and as I fed them they engraved in the rifling, is this OK and would this lead to pressure problems. the Load is 17 grns. AA9. the marks of the rifling are visible on a very small part of the bullet.Any and all help appreciated. Gracias

leftiye
03-02-2007, 04:25 PM
You can solve any pressure problems with your charge weight as you work up the load. Start low and etc..

Generally it is a good thing to have cast boolits engrave a little when chambered. Helps accuracy out, probably mostly by reducing blowby and leading.

Many boolit/ctg./ firearm combinations won't feed well or at all. Thank the great pumpkin that this feeds in the first place, and handle any pressure issues by loading correctly.

armexman
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
leftiye, This Load is from the Accurate hand out for lead bullets of 270 grns in the 44mag, actually it is a tenth below the lowest charge. What this question is directed to is those people who bought this group buy and are now loading for there lever actions and/or revolvers as this will also be used in the SBH. As a gentle aside I have reloaded and cast for 20 years. My barel slugged at .4295, I had to run a soft large bullet three times as I could not believe how small it miked.

Newtire
03-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi armexman,

If you are talking about the RanchDog mould, I just ran about 3-pounds of them downrange today! I seat the bullet in the crimp groove as far out as it will go. I like having it as close to the rifling as possible. this is both in a .44 mag Ruger Auto rifle and a Marlin .444.

Ranch Dog
03-03-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a 336-44 and use the crimp groove for an OAL of 1.56". There is only one crimp groove on the boolit. Every rifle might be a little different so if you don't want to engage the rifling you will have to make the necessary adjustment. If you use a Lee Factory Crimp die, it doesn't matter were the crimp groove is. I use 21.3-grains of H110 for 1623 FPS.

armexman
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Thank You RD, This is what I was looking for as an answer, i know it's your baby and liked that we are using the same rifle. I found part of my problem in using hornady checks , I sized that check into the bullet and that helped with chambering. As to the length problem i am roll crimping into the crimp groove and will find out this week how accurate and workable they are in my 336-44, If the weather holds up here in Colorado.Gracias

Ranch Dog
03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm glad I could help armexman... You going to hunt with this rifle in CO?