PDA

View Full Version : learning to mould and reload

domainfitz
01-01-2012, 05:52 PM
so iv seen tutorials on you tube for reloading and know where and what to get. and ive seen the ones for casting boolits. but i need more info. like resizing the casted boolits and stuff. all ive seen is the smolter and pouring into the mould. whats after? can i get a list of everything i need? i want to use the lee cavity 6 mold but there are 3 for the .40 .117,.141, and .141 again. http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Bullet-Mold-6-Cavity/

btroj
01-01-2012, 06:01 PM
BEst way in my opinion is to find a knowadgable caster near you and get hands on lessons. Worked well for me many years ago.

Where ya from?

popper
01-01-2012, 06:05 PM
What calibers? Start lube with alox/jpw/ms. Get lee sizer(alox comes with it). Slug your barrel to find bullet size you need - fit is KING. I think you are asking which of the 3 .40 molds. I believe there are only 2, T/C and SWC (TL). Most recommend starting with the 2 holer vs the 6. And you have to get some LEAD.

mooman76
01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Might get the Lyman cast bullets handbook. You also might want to get your feet wet in reloading first and then start in on casting. There's enough to learn on just reloading but cast too at the same time might make things allot more difficult to get started.

williamwaco
01-01-2012, 06:26 PM
so iv seen tutorials on you tube for reloading and know where and what to get. and ive seen the ones for casting boolits. but i need more info. like resizing the casted boolits and stuff. all ive seen is the smolter and pouring into the mould. whats after? can i get a list of everything i need? i want to use the lee cavity 6 mold but there are 3 for the .40 .117,.141, and .141 again. http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Bullet-Mold-6-Cavity/

Oh MAN. If that is all the instruction you have, don't start casting yet. Most of those are bad and many of them are actually dangerous.

Here is a list of bullet casting tutorials that will not get you into trouble.

http://reloadingtips.com/index-recommended-videos.htm

swamp
01-01-2012, 06:34 PM
+1 on finding someone who can mentor you. Chances are good you are close to someone on the forum who would be willing to help.

I would if you are in my area.
swamp

01-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Buy Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd or 4th edition, and their Reloading Handbook. Read through each of them at least twice. Become proficient at reloading before venturing into casting. In other words, learn to walk first.

Read the stickies and spend time in the Archive.

Stay away from You Tube, it's full of fools and idiots.

Between the Lyman publications and this site, you will learn from the best.

GRUMPA
01-01-2012, 07:55 PM
+1 on the tutor/mentor part, just starting out that visual aid stuff is the way to go.

ku4hx
01-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Get yourself a copy of Lyman's bullet casting manual and read it cover to cover. It's one of the best reference materials you'll ever buy and it will serve you well for years to come.

This site: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
is also a great web reference. Lots of great reading and studying to be done there also.

I don't want to be overly picky, but .117, .141 and .141 are the boolit's Ballistic Coefficient and is basically a number giving the particular projectile's flight characteristics, i.e, rate of drop at certain distances starting at certain muzzle velocities. At this point in your quest, BC is probably the last parameter you need be concerned with. Boolit weight, diameter, profile and intended use are far more important at this early stage in your casting.

BossHoss
01-01-2012, 08:15 PM
REad, Read , Read....yup, +1 on ignoring Youtube. I have a +1 1/2 year newbie friend/ old professor that qoutes verbatim what nonsense he sees on Youtube as if it were gospel....refuting any advice I give him , basing it on what he sees on Youtube.idiot.com.

THIS SITE IS YOUR REFERENCE and BIBLIOGRAPHY.

The LYMAN MANUALs, and FRYXELL BOOK above ARE the BIBLEs.

Look no further , and don't stop reading.

Ask any question, pose any scenario, no matter the detail.......because in reloading:

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS. Period.

Good Luck, you made the right first step in registering and posting here....

What gun are you reloading for? How long have you been shooting? What field do you work in? Other Hobbies, expertise.....?

Be prepared for as many questions as you ask....begin.

garym1a2
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I read this twice when I started and also every link I could on this and LASC web sites.
Also if you are looking for the .40S&W I would recommend something else for a start. 40 is very difficult for even the experanced.

Get yourself a copy of Lyman's bullet casting manual and read it cover to cover. It's one of the best reference materials you'll ever buy and it will serve you well for years to come.

This site: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
is also a great web reference. Lots of great reading and studying to be done there also.

I don't want to be overly picky, but .117, .141 and .141 are the boolit's Ballistic Coefficient and is basically a number giving the particular projectile's flight characteristics, i.e, rate of drop at certain distances starting at certain muzzle velocities. At this point in your quest, BC is probably the last parameter you need be concerned with. Boolit weight, diameter, profile and intended use are far more important at this early stage in your casting.

btroj
01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
When I learned to reload I was given a few manuals and told to read up on the process. I was told to pay particular attention the the concept of headspace.

That was excellent advice. I then started with a single cartridge, 1 bullet, and 1 powder. It was a simple, progressive, learning process.

Start slow, don't hot rod things, and observe what happens.

canyon-ghost
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
+1 on what 462 said, study the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and the Lyman reloading manuals.

domainfitz
01-02-2012, 12:33 AM
@Btroj. im from a town called santa fe texas. its like 30 min south of houston tx.
@ popper i have a .40 beretta px4 storm full size and a 50's bolt action stephenson 30-30.
Thanks alot everyone. ill get those manuals and start there then like yal said. ill order them first thing in the morning.

domainfitz
01-02-2012, 12:52 AM
i need to start buying reloading equipment.whats the best for beginners?

mpmarty
01-02-2012, 01:03 AM
I started with a LEE loader and a plastic hammer. How much money do you want to spend?

Bullet Caster
01-02-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm a beginner also, domainfitz. I started out with the Lee Breech Lock press 50th anniversary kit. It comes with the press, case prep tools, one quick change bushing (for dies), perfect powder measure and balance beam scale with instructions on how to use each piece, all for $89.99 from Cabelas. Then of course you'll need dies and case length guages for each calibre you want to reload for. Of course you can go for the more expensive equipment from Hornady, RCBS and Redding. Just depends on what you're willing to spend. BC

Grandpas50AE
01-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I started with a LEE loader and a plastic hammer. How much money do you want to spend?

Yep, that's what I started with in the '60's, a Lee loader and rawhide mallet. Produced some very nice reloads with it. I think most beginners would be best off though starting with a single-stage press, like the Lee, RCBS, etc. since the old Lee Loader hand tool produces such a small amount of ammo with a lot more effort than a single-stage press.

Still, good to see others who started out that way, brings back fond memories.

mdi
01-02-2012, 01:58 PM
In addition to the Lyman manuals suggested above, I'd recommend The ABCs of Reloading to get an idea of what all is is involved in reloading and the equipment you'll need to suit your reloading needs.

Reloading for the 40 S&W isn't the easiest to start with, but it is doable. Find a tried and true bullet (prolly a FMJRN) and a commonly used powder and load, 'cause a lot of folks have already worked out the problems and hints/solutions are available here. (search for 40 S&W and you'll get a lot of info).

drklynoon
01-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Concerning your desire to reload for autos and experience level, I suggest getting a Lee 4 hole turret press. The reason I stray from my cohorts is because I see the need to upgrade easily as you gain experience. Sticking with the turrett for some time will give you tons of experience and the press could eventually be upgraded to a progressive style unit. I also recommend that you do not venture into casting just yet. The process is tedious to learn and takes copious amounts of time. Reloading is a fine first step towards a more enjoyable shooting experience. If you must jump into the casting arena then I suggest a dip style pot or a Lyman Beginers kit. Your molds should stick to common weights and ball type designs. If you go the Lee route and TL then the Lyman kit is unneccassary. The TL is easy cheap but does have draw backs. I personally would not TL a .40 but that is me. Cheers and good luck on your new adventure.

MtGun44
01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Any of the better powder manuals have detailed explanations of the whole reloading process in the
front of the book. Buy one (Hornady, Speer, Sierra, etc) and READ it throroughly. If you
have questions, come here and ask specific questions. Lyman CB book is good, too, and
you should recognize that reloading and casting are two separate processes, and you may
want to avoid overload at first by loading with jacketed for a while to simplify your life. Once
you have some experience with reloading, then move up to casting your own.

Learn to walk before trying to run.

We can't really sit here and type out the whole front 30-50 pages of a book when it is
all there to read and study.

Bill

garym1a2
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Lee classic cast single stage or classic cast turrent press. My vote is the classic cast turrent. The lee loader is too slow for loading much.

badbob454
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
lee classic cast single stage or classic cast turrent press. My vote is the classic cast turrent. The lee loader is too slow for loading much.

yes the lee loader with the hammer is way too slow i sold all of mine and went for a rcbs rock crusher press it is @ 250.00 and comes with the powder measure scale and loading blocks, the most important thing i can say is check the powder level visually side by side , in the loading block to make sure they all are loaded to the same level , the lee sizer is easiest for me , i never looked back it so easy lube and size when it dries and re lube after , a little messy , but cleans up good

popper
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Start with the .40 and plated or jacketed. Single stage or turret press. Then the 30-30 with jacketed. Get used to reloading and then buy cast. Figure that out well. Then start casting. Some where along the line you will make the decision on how 'far' you want to get into reloading and spend $$ wisely.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Muy problem w/ the internet & Utube, you have no idea of the guys giving the advice know squat. So IMO, reading is still fundamental to learning proper techniques. The ABCs of Reloading & Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook are a must for the noob. Alos, IMO, learning to reload using cast bullets is a very slow learning curve. There are several little things that can frustrate a noob. So I would go w/ jacketed bullets & easily opbtained data. You'll get better results faster, shortening your learning curve. then you can start in trying to get cast bullets to run in youjr fav semiauto.

domainfitz
01-02-2012, 09:54 PM
thanks alot guys. i really appreciate it. ill start getting the equipment once i get and read the book a couple times. ill let yal know how i do.

mroliver77
01-03-2012, 03:23 AM
There are a few guys from this site that do youtube videos. They are a class act! Like has been said there are some real dorks too.

If anybody has some good videos to recommend him please post them and we can critique them before he trusts them.

I learned reloading from the old RCBS manual. It was my only resource. There were times when a quality video would have been a great help.
J

popper
01-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Loading for the .40 is NOT difficult or HAZARDOUS. I recommend starting there as you will 1) shoot more of it 2) learn more faster. Get a carbide die, powder scale, mic caliper, impact puller to fix the ones you mess up. Load rounds without primer or powder and check cycling in your Storm. Just wash the brass with detergent and lemishine in boiling water before and after priming. Rinse good, dry, load and shoot. Have fun trying to find your brass after you shoot.
Read the books, check THR and here for details, ask questions when you get stumped.