PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for many tips everyone

Grandpas50AE
12-31-2011, 09:43 PM
I want to thank everyone for the many casting tips I have read here. I have been casting since 1974, and getting very good bullets for many years. I have always been a little dissatisfied with the rejection rate though, and after reading many tips here about reducing the alloy temperature alittle and using a hot plate to keep the molds up to temp, decinded to apply that new-to-me technique today. I had a Lyman 4-cavity 429244 mold and a 4-cavity Lyman mould for the 45 SWC 200 gr. boolit, and ran the two moulds alternately. Very few rejects and amount produced for time of casting was better than normal. Only casted for a few hours, with refill of RCBS Pro Melt 20 lb. pot in between, and got a couple of hundred good boolits of each. The boolits were sharp-edged on the driving bands, well-defined on the lube grooves, and nice sharp bases.

Again, thanks for all the info I never had a mentor to learn from before. No matter how much I learn, I always discover there is much more left to learn, and I am glad to have found this site a few months ago.

Happy new year to all of you; be safe and God bless!

WHITETAIL
12-31-2011, 10:22 PM
We all can lern more if we are open to new ideas.:coffee:

Janoosh
12-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Oh yes. Thank you one and all for this learning experience. From the simple to the confusingly technical, from round ball loads, pistol boolits in milsurps, and the very interesting 410 thread. Thanks and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all.

Grandpas50AE
01-01-2012, 10:44 AM
We all can lern more if we are open to new ideas.:coffee:

How true. I really like BT Sniper's signature line "When you stop learning, you're dead". What an elegantly simple way of stating a not-so-simple truth of life.

edler7
01-01-2012, 01:31 PM
It's amazing how tweaking one little part of the process can change the outcome of the whole thing- sometimes for the better, sometimes....not.

The important thing is too keep reading, thinking, listening and trying. No process is ever perfect, but sometimes it's darn close.

1Shirt
01-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Old Pa. Dutch saying: "Ve got to soon old, and to late smart!" Much to learn!
1Shirt!:coffee: