PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Organizations

alamogunr
12-31-2011, 10:50 AM
From time to time I receive donation requests from various veteran's organizations for a contribution. The latest came from VFW. I know there are a lot of "charitable" organizations whose main purpose is to raise funds and pay the officers large salaries. I'm not rich but I do like to donate to deserving charities. I would like at least one of them to be a veteran's organization. Can anyone enlighten me on which ones do the most good for the least expense in fund raising? Which ones to stay away from?

sundog
12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
John, that is an admirable gesture. I think that a reputable organization that caters to wounded or killed service members and their families would be worthy. I do not know much about the organization that Sean Hannity supports with the Freedom Concerts, but that one certainly seems to be a candidate. They have raised a lot of money and tout it as all money going to the fund.

Yesterday my boss and I were having lunch at a Rib Crib in Tulsa. A young soldier was sitting across the aisle from us having lunch by himself (I assume he was working at the Armed Forces Recruitng Station in the same shopping area). I told our waitress to bring me his ticket, she did. We spoke with the lad for a couple minutes on the way out, he had recently returned from Iraq.

It's the little things that count, sometimes nothing more than, "Thank you for serving." And sometimes its the big things like taking care of the ones who were injured or died, and their families.

Let us know what your search turns up.

12-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Sir,
Some communities have local veteran outreach programs that are glad to receive monetary or goods donations.

If you have a few hours to spare, the local American Legion and the VFW will usually need some additional help displaying their Memorial Day and Veterans Day flags.

Dragoon 45
12-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I am a Life Member in three different Vets Organizations. I am not active in them as I believe they have lost focus on what their mission is supposed to be. The VFW in particular seems to be nothing more than a clearing house for companies offering cut-rate insurance and other services to veterans; I receive three to five mailings a week from them. The Legion and DAV don't seem to be doing much better. Local posts of these organizations do a lot of good, but lack the funding to do anything major. But when the national organization gets involved, a black hole seems to suck everything up into oblivion.

There is a new group out that I have seen and read many good things about: The Wounded Warrior Project. Also the Blue Star Mothers does some excellent work and the last I knew less than 5% of donations went to overhead.

fatnhappy
12-31-2011, 01:38 PM
to this day I still donate to AER.

Army Emergency Relief (http://www.aerhq.org/dnn563/)

walltube
12-31-2011, 01:54 PM
No.1: Paralyzed Veterans of America.

No.2: Being a large pebble in both shoes of our Congressman and Senators to better fund, and, to cut the red tape from all Veteran's Gov't programs.

coaldust
12-31-2011, 02:23 PM
I belong to VFW, DAV and PVA (paralyzed veterans of america) and I think the PVA is the best of the bunch to donate to. I volunteer 2 days a week at the local VA hospital (in Bonham, Tx) and credit all my hours to the PVA (over 1500 hrs at this time), makes me feel like I'm giving something back for the VA check I receive each month.

Ickisrulz
12-31-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Bad Water Bill
12-31-2011, 04:40 PM
One organization I never see asking for money is the USO. I remember them throwing Christmas and New Years parties when we were in Barcelona Spain and other locations.I am sure they have places around most bases for the troops but again I never see them asking for help. Am I just blind.

jcwit
12-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Now and the I see an add for the USO on Fox News, but not regularly, and its been awhile.

quilbilly
12-31-2011, 08:41 PM
DAV does great things around here. Especially, they run a shuttle service to the VA hospital which is 50 miles and a ferry trip away. It costs me about $60 per round trip but I don't use the service preferring to make sure the vet who can't afford it, will have the space.

jcwit
12-31-2011, 09:03 PM
quilbilly, don't they give you a travel allowance?

Bullet Caster
01-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Another good veteran's organization is the Marine Corps League. They are very active in my community and serve a useful purpose. Of course there's the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. The aforementioned veteran's service groups are worthwhile of your contributions, i.e., Disabled American Veterans and Wounded Warrior. //BC\\

jwalk2515
01-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I am a veteran of both the Marines and the Army National Guard, so first of all thanks for thinking of vets.

There is a Relief Fund(Army Relief, Navy Relief etc) for most if not all the services that provide money direct to service members in need. Wounded Warriors is good to go. The local Vietnam Veterans Assoc does great things in our area; They provided gifts, meals etc to service members and families during our last couple deployments.

leadman
01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
If I understand the travel pay it is only if you go to the VA for the convenience of the government, like a review of disability status or similar. Routine doctor visits are at the vets cost unless they are a certain % disabled or under a certain income level.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong. I just started going to the VA a couple months ago.

jcwit
01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
If I understand the travel pay it is only if you go to the VA for the convenience of the government, like a review of disability status or similar. Routine doctor visits are at the vets cost unless they are a certain % disabled or under a certain income level.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong. I just started going to the VA a couple months ago.

Possible, not sure at all, however I qualify. I would check if you're going to the VA for health care.

richhodg66
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm a life member of the VFW, and they do hound you for donations quite a bit.

As mentioned, AER is a good thing and I have seen it do many good things for Soldiers in need over the years. They have a drive for it every year and many, if not most, serving Soldiers give a little each month through it by payroll decuction (I have for about 23 years now, when I retire next year, I'll have to figure out a way to keep supporting it).

The USO is good too. They perform a lot of very welcome services.

NVcurmudgeon
01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Reno, NV has a place called "Veteran's Guest House." Veterans coming to Reno and their familiy members can stay there free or cheap, I don't know which, if their veteran is in town for doctor or hospital visits. It is supported by contributions.

alamogunr
01-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations. I will be going through each one and deciding which to contribute to. I wish I could contribute to all but then the amount to each would be meaningless. Hopefully someone else got some ideas from this thread.

Thanks again!