PDA

View Full Version : Pulling gas checked boolits

x101airborne
12-29-2011, 09:34 PM
As you folks know, I have been casting for my 50 beowulf. After finding my correct load and seating depth, I decided to pull all my other loads. Since I dont have a RCBS collet for the 50 cal, I decided to use my impact puller using the shellholder to hold the cartrige. When I pull the boolits out, the gas checks stay inside the case. I fired one to see if the check would come out and it lodged FIRMLY in the barrel of my weapon. Not exactly a highly desirable outcome. AND...... I didn't get to recover the primer or the powder. Does anyone have any suggestions?

wallenba
12-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Gently squeeze the case neck into an oval and shake til they come out. Works for me. You will have to resize with the decapper removed. I'd try finding an oak dowel at Home Depot to persuade the check out of the barrel.

kbstenberg
12-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Thank you Wallenba. I also have a "pile" of cases sitting on my loading bench. But I figured the GC would come out with a hammer type bullet puller. You just cleaned up one of my messas

Jim
12-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I pluck 'em out with a pair of hemostats.

williamwaco
12-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Different method.

Insert a thin tool like a small screwdriver in to the mouth of the case and turn the gas check to one side. Then you can grasp it with needle nose pliers and pull it out. that way you salvage everything.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I think the problem is that a GC is still in the barrel. You might want to check some of the threads that have tips on getting stuck bullets out.

I personally find pulling loads apart such a PITA that unless the loads are unsafe to fire the best way to get rid of them is to simply shoot them.

beagle
12-29-2011, 10:08 PM
wallenba's got the best idea. Been doing that for years on recycled .223s to get the checks out and it works well./beagle

x101airborne
12-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry, did not specify. I was able to get the gas check out of the barrel with a carbon fiber rod and a 45 cal cleaning jag. I just hate losing up to 35 grains of powder to shoot gas checks.

smoked turkey
12-29-2011, 11:00 PM
+1 on what williamwaco said. I have done exactly that several times and it works for me too.

geargnasher
12-30-2011, 01:12 AM
+2 on Williamwaco's tip. Even the .50 caliber checks should turn around without too much fuss or damage to the check or case.

Gear