PDA

View Full Version : .357 mag + bullseye + lyman 357446=

quickshot
03-01-2007, 01:32 PM
LEAD!!!! Ok so here is my last range trip in a nutshell.

start out with the good old rossi 357 and some .38 loads. Nothing special just a 357446 over 3.5 of bullseye and a cci sp primer. all Boolits sized to .358 (which is the correct dia for my bore) and tumbled in LLA. 50 down range no leading. 100 down range no leading: 200 down range no leading. Great!:-D accuracy is MOBG (minute of bad guy) at 25. Got tired of that so i switched to 357 loads. same bullet as before over 5.9 of bullseye cci sp primer/LLA lubed etc...50 downrange and check target....*** why are my boolits keyholing??? Hmmmmm......tack up new target and head back to the line. Check the bore....uhhhh....where did the rifleing go?? :eek: Crap....[smilie=b:so here is the question I have: the above mentioned boolits are ACWW PB boolits would water quenching them help eliminate the leading problem or should I just get a new mold and throw a GC on them? Velocity on the mag loads was a little over 1200 fps.

9.3X62AL
03-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your plated bore, sir.

The first thing I look at when leading starts happening is boolit diameter/throat diameter relationship. Most leading is caused by gas driving past the boolit drive bands and acting like a cutting torch, depositing lead ahead of the boolit and plating the bore. The boolit irons the plating in place as it passes over those deposits. The late Walt Melander gave this description of the process, and I accept it. Have you CONFIRMED your rifle's throat diameter to be .358"?

It is possible your 357 Magnum load weight of Bullseye might be generating pressures that exceed the yield strength of your alloy--the "BHn x 1,422 =pressure limit" idea. Most of my rifle loads use gas-checked boolits, exceptions being in 44-40 and 45-70 calibers. Bear in mind that gas check designs CAN lead the bore, but you won't see it because the check scrapes it out while outbound, leaving a deposit-free bore surface but erratic hits downrange.

I use very little Lee Liquid Alox. Most of my boolit lubing is done in a Lyman 450 with Javelina Alox lube. I really can't comment on how well LLA works in higher pressure applications for this reason, but I experience very little leading in my rifles.

Dimensions are paramount, but as pressures elevate you might need to seize a few more advantages through either metallurgy or lubrication upgrades.

beagle
03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Ah!!! Another dissatisfied customer with the 357446.

I shot the 357446 for years in a Colt Pythoon and was ignorat as I was not that good of a shot and though all was well and the flyers were me. Finally, I started doing some testing in ernest. I found that at midrange velocities, there was something about this design that caused flyers starting at about 25 yards, getting worse at 50 yards and they were really amplified at 100 yards.

I decided to open the front band a bit to full bore like the Keiths. No help. Then, I decided to hollow point this mould. No help.

Only by increasing the velocity to almost factory .357 velocities was I able to get good, reliable accuracy.

This experience has been with two Ruger Blackhawks, a Contender and my .357 Marlin M19894.

I have had the same results with the 357446 and the 429360 in the .44 Magnum. Just something about the aerodynamics of the design I'm thinking.

Now, this is based on my experiences only. To others, it may be the best thing since sliced bread./beagle

R.M.
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm wondering if it's a bit too much of a charge of Bullseye. To get top those velocities, I'd be more inclined to use something slower like 2400 or Unique.

Something to think about.
R.M.

fecmech
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I think your lube failed you. Bullseyes pressure peak is right now as the bullet is exiting the case and in the throat. It's my guess the LLA could not seal the throat and the sides of the boolit got gascut pretty bad. I'd be curious to see how the leading would be with something like full lubed 50/50 or one of the hard lubes on that same bullet and load. I have no experience with 358446 but I've never had any luck trying to push lead bullets fast in magnums with fast powders. I've had no problems with plain base bullets (150-173 gr.) at 1200-1400 fps using slower powders like 296,h110,2400,Blue Dot etc.

quickshot
03-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Deputy AL: I'm sorry for the confusion. The rossi is a .357 mag wheelie. and yes i have slugged the bore and all 6 of the chambers and the dia has been confirmed that .358 is the correct one. LLA has served me well from mild target loads in 45 and 38 all the way up to full house loads (.38 +p) ranges with zero leading.

Beagle: I wish I could say I was totally dissatisfied with the 357446 but in 38 spec midrange loads that particular bullet has been stellar. Just not aparantly in .357 mag

RM: According to the Lee manual (currently the only one I own) 5.9 of bullseye is the starting load. I used bullseye only because I only have 2 powders available to me at this time Blue dot and bullseye and that just happend to be the one that I grabbed first. Might try blue dot a try if I can't get this thing to shoot. I wondering if water quenching from the mold will help the hardness issue though? you all give great info, pleasekeep it coming!!!

Quickshot :castmine:

Dale53
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Quickshot;
My first thought after reading your thread is you are trying to drive the bullet too fast with Bullseye. I have had, for a very long time, a policy of using Bullseye for "target" loads, Unique for "Service" loads and H110, Win 296, and now WC 820 for "Magnum" loads. I have NEVER had leading problems in quite a number of calibers and revolvers (and pistols) using that loading philosophy.

So, my first suggestion to you is to try a relatively slow burning powder. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Dale53