PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 sized to .458

carolina shooter
12-28-2011, 08:00 PM
my load data for 45-70 uses a sized lubed .458 cast #2 alloy. I do not find a lee sizer for .458, is .457 the one that I use or am I missing something? Tried with poor success to use a LEE loader to load some 500 gr bullets(Lee 2 cavity). THE Fred Flintstone loader really bulged the case. NOT a pretty site. ANY Suggestions? I do have the roll crimp dies to load with @ the bench, just wanted to be able to reload while in the "sticks" hunting....

stubshaft
12-28-2011, 09:40 PM
I didn't realize that Lee did not make a .459 or .460 sizer. I would not use the .457 as it would be too small in my rifles. If you want contact Buckshot on this site and he can make you a sizer. He made the one I use for all of my 45/70's and Ruger 458, it measires .460" and I primarily shoot the RCBS 405 or the RD 425.

DLCTEX
12-28-2011, 09:50 PM
It is relatively easy to hone out a size die. Do a search for it to get a full explanation, but it basically involves abrasive cloth and a dowel stick and rolling it on your thigh. Go slow and check often as it's easier to take off than it is to put it back. As to the Lee loader, I haven't used mine in 45-70, but you may have better luck with the 400 gr. or lighter boolits. Your problem may be you did not flare the case mouth? That is a must with cast boolits. Some have used something as simple as a pair of needle nose pliers turned in the case mouth. I have used a large bottleneck case and a light tap with a plastic mallet. Go easy or you will not be able to get it in the die to seat the boolit.