PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 sized to .458

carolina shooter
12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
my load data for 45-70 uses a sized lubed .458 cast #2 alloy. I do not find a lee sizer for .458, is .457 the one that I use or am I missing something? Tried with poor success to use a LEE loader to load some 500 gr bullets(Lee 2 cavity). THE Fred Flintstone loader really bulged the case. NOT a pretty site. ANY Suggestions? I do have the roll crimp dies to load with @ the bench, just wanted to be able to reload while in the "sticks" hunting....

BABore
12-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Alloy and hardness plays a small roll in pressure. Diameter a little more and bearing length the most when using book data for a different boolit of the same weight. Be very wary of 45-70 data in regards to bearing length and seating depth. An example would be a 500 grain Postell design meant for a single shot, but loaded for a levergun where you have to seat it much deeper. Pressure goes up dramtically because you have more boolit in the case.

In regards to your boolit diameter, have you slugged the barrel to find the bore and groove diameter? This is the first step in cast boolit shooting. Ignorance is not bliss here. Assuming the ID of a fired case is above groove diameter, I always size to that diameter even if it's 2 or 4 thousandths over groove. If the loaded round chambers freely, then there is enough room for boolit release from the case.

stubshaft
12-28-2011, 09:41 PM
I responded to your duplicate post.

DLCTEX
12-28-2011, 09:53 PM
I responded in your other post also.