PDA

View Full Version : New guy reporting in, with questions.

Morning Wood
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for welcoming me to Cast Boolets. Just a Q&A or two.

Why do lead boolets always seem to be .001 or .002 larger in diameter than their jacketed counterparts?

What are your opinions on cast rifle boolets usage in gas operated rifles? My worry is clogging the gas port.

While I don't intend to start casting any time soon, I would like to buy some. Does anyone here sell cast bullets that they make? Looking to buy bullets for M44, 1911, BHP & 9mm SMG. Not all at once of course.

In the absence of that, I would like to purchase some cast boolets online. I figure I might as well use lead for my plinking loads with the price of jacketed as it is. Who do you guys buy from for lead rifle and pistol bullet purchases. Total cost to my door is the primary concern.

Again, thanks for the welcome and assistance.

mooman76
03-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Bullets need to be .001-.002 because that's what works best to keep leading down. I believe the reason is hot gas cutting the edges of the bullets causeing leading. You could get plated bullets they seem to work well at lower velosities and cost about the same as lead bullets. Also I have heard good thing about Laser Cast bullets. You have less choices for rifle bullets. I buy my bullets (plated)from Midway but I don't buy many and you can also fine places that sell bulk jacketted for somewhat cheaper prices. I believe Bullshop on this board sells lead bullets. And welcome to the board!