PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Trap

EWOK
03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Was wondering what was found to be most effective?

357maximum
03-01-2007, 04:50 PM
read through this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11313&highlight=trap

Pay close attention to the bounce back warnings with steel belting, this will also occur with low end 38/357 boolits when shooting into a stack of tire sidewalls with slow rounds, no one was hurt, but it was unnnerving to see the lines in the snow.

When I build my next trap it will be a simple 2foot square steel box with one end made of 1/2 plywood, and filled/packed tightly with rubber mulch. I have a ton of 1/8 inch steel plates so i will use that and I will attach the wooden faceplate via the same inverted 1.5X1.5 inch angle iron picture frame.

I will use the big trap I have now for looong distance, and the 2ft sq. one for 25to50 yd. offhand, as soon as i get around to building another one.

DLCTEX
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Where do you find rubber mulch? I have scavenged some steel forms that are shaped like flat topped pyramid, it stops the boolits, but tosses them back with vigor. Dale

357maximum
03-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Where do you find rubber mulch? I have scavenged some steel forms that are shaped like flat topped pyramid, it stops the boolits, but tosses them back with vigor. Dale

Some landscape companies that sell stones/bark/topsoil and such carry it. Mine came from a sell whatever/lawn ornament/jungle jim/gots-to-mowaround-junk type place.

The mulch in my opinion is the shizznizzle, as my nephew would say....I think one could build the trap out of treated plywood if the seams and corners were build stout enough to withstand the compression of the filler....I might just try that with some 3/4 inch plywood from some shipping containers that found their way into the back acreage, just to see..... Maybe an angle iron frame with plywood panels,,,still mulling that one around in the noggin....

EWOK
03-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I guess I could get rubber tits, I work at a tire plant and when the tires are cured the mold has pin vents so the rubber will fill the mold and then the little tis are cut off, but some guy gets these for something but maybe I could get a truckload or two? But I had thought of using sand(sand is pretty cheap here) in a 3 sided box, 8'x8' with my steel targets in front, then just sift the bullets or pieces of lead out of the sand but seems someone wrote that this was a hard process. Then there was the spaced layers of old conveyor material(think I could get some of this here at the plant also) that someone said they were going to try. I remember a story of were someone was using saw dust in a wood box with baffels to trap test bullets in his building, think baffels were made of plywood or OSB? When I first built my range, I got scrap tires from here and stacked the in a stangered rows and fill with dirt, using screws to hold tires together and building a 8' wall maybe 20' long, used just this for a year or two then had a large hill of dirt placed behind it, 10' high 30' around and started ivy growing over it, it's completely covered now, the tires are showing alot of wear from constant high powered rifle shooting into them but the berm is holding up well, nice having a 100 yard range in the back yard, but am thinking of maybe an easy way to recycle the lead since my fancy is turning to pistols and lead boolits now so keep putting your ideas out and maybe something work.

357maximum
03-02-2007, 10:07 AM
nice having a 100 yard range in the back yard.
Do you know what is 4.4 times better than having a 100 yard range in your back yard?:mrgreen:

The rubber vent "tits" might be just the berries too...won't know til you try it...where you at? do you deliver? LOL I'll take about 55 gals to test for the greater good..he he :mrgreen:

mag_01
03-02-2007, 11:30 AM
55 Gallon drum laid on its side filled with sand with a face adaptable to your targets----Mag

EWOK
03-02-2007, 01:01 PM
That another possiblity, there is a pickle plant close by that is giving away plastic 55 gal drums, I got a bunch, 14 filled with fatlighter pieces to help start up the wood heater, 8 with old corn to feed deer and some with nothing, did use one once for a target stand, that thing got alot holes in it, cut it off about 3/4 use it as a trash can out in the barn now, oh yea, cut them in half, cut some handle holes and they make great gut buckets when cleaning deer, used a bunch for dog houses when I had hounds, just build a frame to mount them in, you can do alot with 55 gal drums, think I need some more. Might try filling one with saw dust, turn it edgeways and put a target on the lid, all kinds of possiblities.

PS- I'm in eastern NC, hog crap capital of the world, need any of that, man I could hook you up with sereval thousand gals of it, but I don't deliver.

357maximum
03-02-2007, 06:19 PM
PS- I'm in eastern NC, hog crap capital of the world, need any of that, man I could hook you up with sereval thousand gals of it, but I don't deliver.

Not much hog do here, but lotsa cow poo, if you are interested in a swap i am afraid you are s.o.l...as i do not deliver either...:Fire:

yammerschooner
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Try post #31 in this thread.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3049&page=2

EWOK
03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks Yam.