PDA

View Full Version : Maximum bullet dia w/o sizing?

south.texas.dead.I
12-27-2011, 02:36 PM
How much larger than the .40S&W caliber could I be fine with before I needed to size the cast bullets down to .401? I am getting a cutter made for pan lubing but I don't know what size I should make it because I wont have my caliper with me for a couple weeks

Tapatalk ya

ku4hx
12-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Way back when I was pan lubing .38 Special and .357 Magnum I used a fired but not resized .357 Magnum case as a cutter. Worked fairly well as best I can recall. Some time later I used a .357 Maximum case with a small loop of 10 gauge copper wire soldered to it as a handle of sorts. Never occurred to me to actually have someone make a cutter for me.

I'd think you might want to try that with maybe an non resized 10mm case. Cut the case head off of course and just push 'em through.

This method was likely why I dropped the whole pan lube idea. They worked pretty well unsized in my Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum but my production rate was simply dismal. That wasn't so bad for use with a single action revolver, but the thought of pan lubing 1,400 40 S&W boolits, my last casting session count, is just not my idea of fun. I've had outstanding success with LLA and the Lee sizing method followed by a bit of Motor Mica to alleviate tackiness.

But to answer your specific question: in certain guns I've had success with as-cast diameters .002" over bore diameter. But the overwhelming majority of my boolits are sized as is optimum for the intended gun.

Bret4207
12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
How much larger than the .40S&W caliber could I be fine with before I needed to size the cast bullets down to .401? I am getting a cutter made for pan lubing but I don't know what size I should make it because I wont have my caliper with me for a couple weeks

Tapatalk ya

You stand a fair chance of being okay right up until the cartridge won't chamber! It depends on your gun, load, alloy, etc. I don't believe there is a hard and fast answer for your question. Myself, I like to start in the area of +.002 IF it chambers easily.

williamwaco
12-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Bret 4207 + 1

Char-Gar
12-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Where in south Texas?

south.texas.dead.I
12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Where in south Texas?

Houston and corpus Christi areas
I'm attending college in Huntsville but am from north padre

Tapatalk ya