PDA

View Full Version : My email is hacked.

frkelly74
12-27-2011, 09:43 AM
I have been having random anomalies with my e-mail account at hotmail. Things seemed odd , messages showing up that were not for me and returned messages that I did not send ect, and now my account is blocked and I have no access to it. Do I want to try to recover it or should I just abandon it and get a new e-mail somewhere else? It seems that if I want to recover my account I must get another account anyway so there is a place that I can be notified of the recovery. Bother!!! anybody have any wisdom to share?

bryonbush
12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
wife had the same problem with aol. she was able to contact them and find out the problem. turns out the mother in law wanted into her AOL account to see what weve been up to. long story short, they can reset everything in your account and you just have to reset all your stuff again.

Jim
12-27-2011, 10:30 AM
..... turns out the mother in law wanted into her AOL account to see what weve been up to....

Oh, jeeesh! I would have had my say, advised her to keep her distance and broke all communication over that.

Mk42gunner
12-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I hear you on the privacy issue, Jim.

If I want someone to know what I'm doing or thinking about, I will tell them. If not, they can mind theier own business.

I think it comes from too many years of living on a ship, where your personal space wouldn't make a decent sized deepfreeze.

Robert

frkelly74
12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
back up and running. My daughter helped us get a new and more difficult password. ( for me to forget)

canyon-ghost
12-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Try upping your security settings, exclude public access and make it 100% private. I like to look through account settings and go down the list. The fewer people can find it, the less spam. Don't hesitate to block spam or other "trolls".

DCM
12-29-2011, 07:58 PM
They can have my email account if they want it 99% junkmail 99.9% of the time!

firefly1957
12-30-2011, 02:20 AM
Are you using it for anything important? If not just get a new email address but do report it to hotmail as you have some information in it I am sure. Around 1999 my hotmail account was hacked I got it back turns out it was a family member that did it and she was sending spam out with it. Currently it is harder to do than back than as security procedures changed.

Bullet Caster
12-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Yeah I know about hacking. My fleabay account was hijacked and someone sold a 3000 dollar motorcycle in my name. After reporting it to fleabay, I changed all my passwords to German words 'cause not all that many people speak Deutsch and it makes for good security. Just write your password down so you don't forget it--maybe put it in your gunsafe if ya have one. BC