PDA

View Full Version : Case trim length

rak1
12-26-2011, 10:40 PM
I finally got some shootable boolits from a Lee C309-170-F mold. However; I have a question. When triming the cases for my 30-30 using the Hornady # 3060 bullet I trim the cases to 2.028. This gives me a col of 2.540. If I trim the cases to 2.028 and use the Lee boolit I get a col of 2.568 which is to long. Is it ok to trim the cases to 2.010. This will give me a col of 2.550 which is max for a 3030. The difference is the location of the crimp ring. The crimp ring on the Hornady is 0.481 as best as I can measure it from the nose of the bullet and the crimp ring on the Lee is 0.528 from the nose of the boolit.
Dick

runfiverun
12-26-2011, 11:06 PM
you most likely have enough neck tension to not crimp.
i have had good luck, not crimping on some boolits in my 30-30's.
even up through full velocity loads.
you can trim brass any length you want if they are working for you.

12-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Using Lee's rifle collet crimp die (not to be confused with their handgun carbide post-sizing crimp die) you can apply a crimp wherever you want, cannelure or not.

Trim the case to SAAMI specs (2.039"), seat the boolit/bullet to the desired overall length, then crimp.

mpmarty
12-27-2011, 01:38 AM
+1 on the above crimp where you like.

williamwaco
12-27-2011, 10:23 AM
I finally got some shootable boolits from a Lee C309-170-F mold. However; I have a question. When triming the cases for my 30-30 using the Hornady # 3060 bullet I trim the cases to 2.028. This gives me a col of 2.540. If I trim the cases to 2.028 and use the Lee boolit I get a col of 2.568 which is to long. Is it ok to trim the cases to 2.010. This will give me a col of 2.550 which is max for a 3030. The difference is the location of the crimp ring. The crimp ring on the Hornady is 0.481 as best as I can measure it from the nose of the bullet and the crimp ring on the Lee is 0.528 from the nose of the boolit.
Dick

Dick,

A word about the COAL.

This is a standard set to help manufacturers of rifles and ammo work together and keep rifles and ammo working together and not jamming.

The max COAL for your rifle and your loads is whatever will feed reliably through the action. I trim to 2.030 and with my Lee C309-170-F bullet, the oal is 2.56. As soon as the weather gets nice, I am going to start experimenting for best accuracy. I expect to seat the bullet out until it touches the rifling or until it will not feed through the magazine. That will probably occur somewhere around 2.65 +/-.

Repeat:
Published max overall length does not limit you. It is only a guide. It means that if you load longer than this, your ammo MAY not feed through the action of some rifles. It means that If you manufacture a rifle that will not handle cartridges this long, it may not work with some ammo.

The really funny part of this is that if you load shorter than this, it MAY not feed through the action of some rifles either. The only thing that matters is are all the lube grooves covered ( You don't want dirt sticking to the lube.) and will it feed reliably through your rifle.

Happy and Prosperous New Year.