PDA

View Full Version : I get my kicks on Rt. 66 . . .

dmftoy1
02-28-2007, 10:24 PM
So today my company made me fly to New York for a presentation tomorrow. . . . :( I was not looking forward to the trip but then I figured that it would give me an opportunity to do some lead searching in the drive up. Since old route 66 follows 55 I just started crusing up and hitting anyplace that looked like it sold tires. (car dealerships, car stores, walmart)

At the end of the day I had learned quite a bit and was about 300-310lbs of wheel weights richer. (and only $16 poorer) Here are the lessons I learned:

1. Always offer to "buy" the weights . .that gets you much further even if they're giving them to you for free. Some people like beer in exchange.
2. Small-medium sized towns are better than large towns. (18-20k people)
3. If you get a chance try to talk to the little guys who are actually doing the work instead of a manager . .they seemed much more willing to get rid of or sell weights.
4. The best places are the tire stores that look a little run down and/or the old fashioned family run service stations.
5. Car dealers - not a very good source as they don't have much in the way of quantity and even if they do their service manager usually has promised them to someone
6. Have persistence. I was 1 for 7 until I hit the right small town and ended up the day 4 out of 10 for weights with 2 invites back for a full 5 gallon bucket in a month.
7. Take more containers than you think you'll need. I had 4 large kitty litter buckets and had to quit because they were full. I passed 2-3 places that I bet would've given me another 50-100lbs. It's not a bad idea to write your name # on a couple of buckets in big letters in case you find someone who says they'll hold them for you. I even write on one that when it was full it would be exchanged for a case of miller lite. :)
8. Walmart/Sam's Club would be a gold mine if you could convince them to give/sell them to you . . . :(

Just my .02. I think on my 135 mile road trip I wasted an extra hour stopping at places. I'm pretty tickled and the VW Jetta waiting for me at the airport has a definate squat in the rear. :) The best part is that the company paid for the fuel.

Have a good one,
Dave

Sundogg1911
02-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Dave,
Great tips!. I always keep a few 5 gal. buckets in the back of the pickup for the same reason. I have a 60 mile trip each way to my camp. I do my "harvesting" trip about once a month. I pass 4 tire shops on the way, all of which occasionally donate to my hungry 1911's. Always have beer in the truck on my way up. seldom have any when I get there on the harvest trip! :drinks: (Don't get me wrong....there's a beer shop right by camp if im low) treat the guys good, and you'll never be wheel weight empty! And I do agree, it's usually the workers, not the owners. The workers are the guys I can usually relate to anyway :-)

boommer
03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
HHMMMM? dmftoy he's working some of my territory lets see he driving a VW JETTA sqawting in the rear wonder what color ? now witch air port midway or OHARE?
NOW should I call Guido IN CHICAGO or farmer mikey MY friend in his home town or
do I BUY case of beer and stake out I-55 looking for a sqawting jetta to go by!!
I dont know what do you guys think I thought I hiked on every tire shop pole in my
territory but I guess this old dog taking too long to get from pole to pole and cant remember where there they ARE!!

madcaster
03-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Some of the recycling centers have lead,but I have a friend about 25 miles away,and he beats me to them usually...

dmftoy1
03-01-2007, 06:32 AM
HHMMMM? dmftoy he's working some of my territory lets see he driving a VW JETTA sqawting in the rear wonder what color ? now witch air port midway or OHARE?
NOW should I call Guido IN CHICAGO or farmer mikey MY friend in his home town or
do I BUY case of beer and stake out I-55 looking for a sqawting jetta to go by!!
I dont know what do you guys think I thought I hiked on every tire shop pole in my
territory but I guess this old dog taking too long to get from pole to pole and cant remember where there they ARE!!

LOL - it was funny because I've been working probably a 20-30 mile radius around where I live and there's always SOMEBODY who takes their weights and had me cleaned out.

The saddest thing was the Walmart in Pontiac . .they had to have had 3-4 5 gallon buckets FULL just sitting there waiting for some corporate recycler to pick them up.

When I hit the "Dwight" area I stopped in this old farm store. (I had found maybe 50lbs by this time) The guys in that place had 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket but one of the guys said "get over to Jensen's, they'll have a bunch. Not knowing what "Jensen's" was I said thank you and asked at the local convience store. It turns out that the place was an old fashioned family run service station that still did work on cars. I went in and spoke to the owner and he took me into a back room with maybe 150-200lbs of used wheel weights all nice/clean in coffee cans. He was puzzled that anyone would want them but said I could have them. I think he would've given them to me for free but I asked him what he wanted for them again just to be sure and he said $10. It was the quickest that $10 has EVER left my pocket!!

Have a good one,
Dave

boommer
03-01-2007, 07:28 PM
dmf toy 1 I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM HERE A GUY IN A JETTA !!! just messing with you but there is a guy around here that go'es around here that he is making casted
toy soldiers for kids boy scouts and such now I have a hard time believing you are going to give lead toys to kids why not say fishing weights why not just say bullets I know why It's give it to the kids scam !!!! I'am not mad but It just not honest just to get free lead thats BAD!!! BUT ANYWAYS maybe we meet sometime Iam 100 miles from you and my friend mike bought a farm down there in lexington area I have'nt seen it yet so Iam thinking when it gets a little nicer out I will ride my scooter down there see him check out his place and maybe could give call I could throw few shooters in the bags go shoot some cans! just a thought

wills
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
dmf toy 1 I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM HERE A GUY IN A JETTA !!! just messing with you but there is a guy around here that go'es around here that he is making cast toy soldiers for kids boy scouts and such

That's awful! Those children will get lead poisoning. It is up to you to save them by making that toxic lead into small cylinders and injecting it into (safety disposal) berms.

boommer
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
WILLS ( ABOUT TIME SOMEBODY SEE'S THINGS MY WAY!!! )
SORRY I cant talk with you about this more but they are bringing our pills and supper and our group meets at 8.00 then lock down 9.00 maybe tomorow after nap time !!

dmftoy1
03-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Boomer just let me know . .I'm ALWAYS up for some shooting. I've got a pistol range on my property and my next door neighbor and I built a rifle range on the border between his property and mine. They're nothing fancy but you're always welcome.

Have a good one,
Dave