PDA

View Full Version : lyman 69 cal. minie ball

jaystuw
12-26-2011, 02:17 AM
With bullet molds, How is it that some bullet designs stay in production forever and others go by the wayside? Is it good design, , great performance, or common size (say 30 cal.) that makes a company like lyman continue to cut mold blocks for a particular design? I guess all that contributes to keeping a bullet type profitable and in production. Once in a while though it seems none of that matters, a bullet stays in production for a lifetime and is still in production today even though very few rifles are available in this caliber and the ones that are around are almost never shot. The bullet I am speaking of is the giant 730 gr 69 cal minie ball. Its also one of the most common used molds on e-bay. Don't get me wrong, i am glad its still being made but I do get the feeling that it sells because it is big and neat looking and that 90 percent of the molds around have never cast a bullet thats been shot out of a rifle!
John

44man
12-26-2011, 10:08 AM
The fellas down in Winchester that shoot civil war stuff use tons of Minie' balls! The old guns are very popular.
The originals would make your mouth water. :bigsmyl2:

ku4hx
12-26-2011, 10:14 AM
It all comes down to marketing and what the boys in that office feel will make them the most money. All for-profit corporations have three goals:

Grow the bottom line
Grow the company
Increase stockholder equity

Anything that doesn't do the three things above generally gets discarded. There are exceptions, but generally all corporations will phase out less profitable items and phase in more profitable things.