PDA

View Full Version : Forum "Thread Tool" suggestions

Dannix
12-26-2011, 01:17 AM
When reading a forum post, there is a "Thread Tools" drop drown. I would like to see a couple of options added if that was possible:

Add to My Library
- This would be helpful for creating a personal resource listing.
Add to my Read Later List
- Choosing this option would mark it to-be-read-later.

A single thread could also be marked both "Add to Library" and "Add to my Read Later List." (A thread one would like to read later is not necessarily something one would also like to add to one's library).

I envision these listings to be accessible under User CP along with Subscribed Threads.

waksupi
12-26-2011, 02:07 AM
I just use the subscribe to thread feature to do these things.

Dannix
12-26-2011, 02:28 AM
I just use the subscribe to thread feature to do these things.
That's what I do right now. I have 490 subscriptions at this point, and it's impossible for me to tell which ones I've simply posted in and desire to be kept in the loop on any further posts, or and others that I would like to make particular use of as reference material or those which I've subscribe to to read later but are now lost in the pile.

One really nice step would be the ability to search just subscribed threads.

Just some thoughts. There's lots of info to assimilate here. Thanks. :)

waksupi
12-26-2011, 02:44 AM
They can be hard to keep track of. I, and I know many others here, have printed out material from the old Shooters.com forum, many inches thick. I would guess I have several reams of paper worth. Then there was the next forum, where much more info was lost to us.
Remarkably, there is a lot of information that has not ever been covered again on this board that was very well covered on those boards, even though we have so many topics posted here.

Bret4207
12-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Some of the Aimoo stuff is still there, but most is gone. I also have the "reams of paper" printed off from Shooters and several other now defunct boards. What really steams me is when I go to the trouble of saving a mess of stuff and then the computer dies! Paper rules!

I'm sure there are savvy people that can store everything, cross referenced and categorized, but it's an exercise in futility of me to try and do that.

lbaize3
12-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Thread tool? I had no idea such existed until I read this post.

Thanks a bunch!

oneokie
12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Why not add 2 new folders for bookmarked threads? One titled Library, another titled Read later? One could make sub folders in each, titled with subject matter.

montana_charlie
12-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Why not add 2 new folders for bookmarked threads? One titled Library, another titled Read later? One could make sub folders in each, titled with subject matter.
Your suggestion would require the individual to actually take the initiative, and create those folders on his own computer.

Much easier to request a forum feature that somebody else creates and provides.

CM

Bret4207
12-27-2011, 09:41 AM
To be fair Charlie, a lot of us have no clue on how you do that.

stubshaft
12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I just use the thread tools and email it to myself and then file in folders I've created.