PDA

View Full Version : Santa came through

12-25-2011, 09:52 PM
My wife gave me a reloading kit for Christmas. I'm on my way.

geargnasher
12-25-2011, 11:26 PM
That's an excellent start!

Don't forget to order more breech lock bushings when you get your dies.

Gear

Buckshot
12-26-2011, 12:59 AM
.............Nice wife. Tell her we ALL appreciate her being your enabler[smilie=l:

..............Buckshot

DLCTEX
12-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Now you need a real powder scale. I like almost all things Lee, but that scale is a no go. The numerous times I have tried it, it was a lesson in futility and frustration.

45-70 Chevroner
12-26-2011, 02:28 PM
+ 1 for DLCTEX, the Lee scale sits on my table and all I do is take glancing look at it once in a while. I've got a good RCBS and a couple of digital scales and they all weigh with in .01 grain, at least according to my scale check weights.

AndyC: you are correct it is 0.1 gr maybe it was a type-O or maybe I just was'nt thinking.

AndyC
12-27-2011, 01:43 AM
0.1 gr, surely? 1/10th gr, not 1/100th gr?

ku4hx
12-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Ain't it nice. :wink:

Several years ago my wife gave me my first Dillon press and just lately she's bought her first guns ... three in all.

Gotta love it when your sweetie not only gets it but becomes a part of the passion.

LAH
12-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Congrats, you'll love it.

cbrick
12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Silly wife, she doesn't have any idea what she has started.

Now there will be a long list of loading dies and then there will of course be the need to acquire numerous bullet molds. Once the mold collection gets going there will be a powerful need of new firearms so that you have something shoot the bullets from all those molds.

You'll spend far more time at the range and in the garage, you will turn into a lead scrounging addict and there is no cure, not even more lead. No such thing as enough lead, need more.

She is now a widow to the powerful addiction of casting, loading, shooting and it all started with that Lee Press on Christmas of 2011. But it is her fault, she did it to herself.

Silly widow! :mrgreen:

Congratulations 292, you'll no doubt get much use and enjoyment from your Christmas present.

Rick

gwpercle
12-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Okay 292

Next tell your wife that for your birthday she can give you an RCBS 5 - 0 - 5 powder scale. You can get by with the Lee scale but an upgrade sure makes reloading easier and in some instances safer.

Inexpensive scales are harder to read and to properly set to the desired charge. I also started with simple basic ( cheap ) scale and found it easy to mistake a setting of 15 grs. unique for 10.5 . Incorrect settings and incorrect readings are easier because of the way they are calibrated and to some extent the materials they are made from .

About 4 months ago I replacer my old Redding scale , circa 1967, with a new RCBS 5 -0 - 5 and I love it . So easy to level, zero, set to a charge and read. I was an idiot for not getting a better scale years ago!

Also don't get an electronic scale as your only one. Battery powered anything allways seems to fail just when your out of replacements

Good luck with your new hobby.

Crawdaddy
12-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Cbrick beat me to the punch. It is just the beginning! Now you need a die for each caliber. Since it is so much cheaper to reload (chuckle) you can now afford a few more guns for which you will need dies, bullets, powder etc.

Then you will need a set of mechanical scales, then you will graduate (no pun intended) to digital.

After that you will want to cast your own bullets to save some more money! you will need molds, a melting pot and sizers.

When the novelty wears off, lets talk about swaging! :) I just got into that and am having a blast and saving lots of money! :)

Your hooked dude, theres no way out.

All joking aside, congratulations.

Southern Son
12-28-2011, 04:08 AM
Cbrick beat me to the punch. It is just the beginning! Now you need a die for each caliber. Since it is so much cheaper to reload (chuckle) you can now afford a few more guns for which you will need dies, bullets, powder etc.

Then you will need a set of mechanical scales, then you will graduate (no pun intended) to digital.

After that you will want to cast your own bullets to save some more money! you will need molds, a melting pot and sizers.

When the novelty wears off, lets talk about swaging! :) I just got into that and am having a blast and saving lots of money! :)

Your hooked dude, theres no way out.

All joking aside, congratulations.

And if you start shooting high volume (IPSC, lots of pistol matches, what ever), then you will get your self a Dillon 650 Progressive Press, then you will start saving money at a much faster rate!:grin:

45-70 Chevroner
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM
0.1 gr, surely? 1/10th gr, not 1/100th gr?

You are correct 0.1 gr (typeO)