PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions On Slugging Mold

Jason30-30
12-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Im Looking To Purchase A Lyman 30 Caliber Round Ball Mold To Slug My 30 Cal Rifle Barrels. Can Anybody Point Me In The Right Direction On To What Mold Might Work?

Jim
12-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Buy a 5 round box of 12 gauge '00' buckshot and cut the shells open.

Jason30-30
12-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks Jim I Think If I Cant Find A Mold That Would Work Thats What I Will Do

Jim
12-25-2011, 09:39 PM
If a mold is what you're after, must it be a Lyman? Lee makes a .319 RB mold. (http://leeprecision.com/xcart/MOLD-DC-BALL-319.html)

geargnasher
12-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Im Looking To Purchase A Lyman 30 Caliber Round Ball Mold To Slug My 30 Cal Rifle Barrels. Can Anybody Point Me In The Right Direction On To What Mold Might Work?

Sure can. Get a 2x4 scrap, preferably short, drill some 5/16" holes in it the depth you want your slugs, dry it and preheat in your oven at the lowest setting the oven will go (about 150-180 on most ovens), then melt your pure lead however you do it and ladle it into the holes. Do this OUTSIDE and use your safety gear (face shield, apron, gloves, heavy pants and leather boots), as the wood will smoke quite a bit. Preheating the block drives out moisture and sap which can otherwise make steam explosions and blow lead everywhere. When the lead cools, split the block to get the slugs out.

If you have access to hardwood end-cutoffs, like from any decent cabinet shop will gladly give you for the asking, they work even better as they char less and have less sap than pine.

Gear

Jason30-30
12-25-2011, 10:16 PM
GREAT TIP BEN!

Jim Thanks For The Tip I Looked Into It And I Think I Will Get The Lee .319 I Aint Going To Use It Much Anyways.

stubshaft
12-25-2011, 10:59 PM
If you aren't going to use it much just get a bag of .32 balls for a ML.

adrians
12-26-2011, 09:14 AM
i use a .375 rb mould ,whan they drop hot out of the mould i roll them between two 2x4's to elongate then and "slim them down" to close enough and slug away . works for me with pure soft lead.:evil::redneck::twisted:

gwpercle
12-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Jason

Not really necessary to buy a mould for slugging, what I found to work best were fishing sinkers. The bell type sinker that has a small swivel attached. They are pointed at the top, where the line is tied to the swivel, and fatter at the base.

I bought an assortment that ranged from small to large . When slugging a 303 Enfield and 7.5 swiss I went thru them and found ones that would enter the bore but were not so large at the rear that hammering the slugs down the barrel would be so hard they would get stuck. The smaller dia. front seems to help them get started. Lube both slug and barrel.

I already had the sinkers in my tackle box but if you don't want to buy an assortment go down to bait shop with your calipers, take a few measurements, and just get the size you need. Tip make at least 2 slugs and measure both. I've been known to do 3.

The sinkers i'm talking about are the lead ones, mine were dead soft and seemed to be pure lead. I guess they still make them but I heard others talking about zinc and steel wheelweights. So I dont know anymore.

caseyboy
12-28-2011, 03:08 PM
I use a Lee .311 double banger RB mould. Use soft lead for slugging and WQWW for buckshot.