PDA

View Full Version : Making smokeless powder smoke??????????

rbertalotto
12-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Is there anything that can be added to smokeless powder to make it smoke like black?

Has anyone tried some type of vegetable or dino oil on a wad of some type?

GP100man
12-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Ifin ya loading for CASS shooting ,ya can lube with alox & use unique powder at a med loading ,I don`t think there`s a dirtier combo unless it`s a holy black loading !!

geargnasher
12-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Actually there is, GP100man, it's called HERCO and liquid Alox in .45 Colt!!

Gear

GP100man
12-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Agreed HERCO in a mid loading is DIRTY !!

I used it in my general plinking under 429421 at 8 grs. in 44mag brass but had to step it up to 9 to "clean" it up a bit .

beagle
12-25-2011, 02:21 PM
My vote goes to Unique and alox. That is a smaky combo for sure./beagle

runfiverun
12-25-2011, 02:33 PM
a fiber wad soaked in lube would make waay more smoke. it might just make some pooof sounds and stuck boolits too.
herco being a step slower than unique does right well in a higher pressure situation.
so lowering it' pressure curve and a combo of smokey lube [alox] and a humid day could cause a smoke screen.

waksupi
12-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I wonder if sugar would do it? If I tried it, I would reduce the load some, as it is an oxidizer.
Same stuff they use in the movies when the medicine man makes a big "foof" in the fire!

Shiloh
12-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Ifin ya loading for CASS shooting ,ya can lube with alox & use unique powder at a med loading ,I don`t think there`s a dirtier combo unless it`s a holy black loading !!

And it'll have an acrid stink to it as well.

Shiloh

odfairfaxsub
12-25-2011, 08:46 PM
i use the unique and alox combo in my semis. to be honest with you those damn guns are so dirty afterwards i don't even wana use them as my carry lol. my springfields loaded chamber device is always stuck up after 500 rounds lol. my uncle jr said, "jesus boy, we don't have to worry about those darn misquitos now."

rbertalotto
12-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm surprised the shooting industry hasn't developed a powder that smokes like black but is easy or no clean up like smokeless. The uses would be cowboy action and reenactment for visual effect.

cajun shooter
12-26-2011, 09:14 AM
First let me say that the smoke is not the only difference between the firing of smokeless and black powder.
Black Powder also produces flames and sparks plus a much louder boom than any smokeless.
The industry has done just what you want and started many years with Pyrodex, Triple 7, All American, Shockeys Gold. All of these are forms of smokeless powder with chemicals used to produce smoke. They are supposed to use the same bullet lube as smokeless and be easy to clean using the same materials.
I can only tell you about them as I have never in my 64 years used any of them. I do know that they will rust your barrel many times faster than the real thing and would advise they be cleaned the day of use.
It is evident by your post that you have read or been told all the false hoods about shooting the Real Black Powder.
I first shot BP in 1970 and fell in love with it right away. I shoot nothing but BP now and that includes my SASS matches (three a month) and any casual or hunting.
BP does not have to be cleaned the same day as firing. I shoot on Saturday and at times don't clean for 4 or more days. Don't try that with the fakes. Later David