PDA

View Full Version : I need a derringer I think

Jamesconn
12-24-2011, 09:12 PM
I myself do not own a pistol and I want something pistol size to kill trapped animals without having to carry a rifle and I thought a derringer would be cheap so I looked and they are expensive. They do make them with trigger guards now I wouldn't buy one without it
Im thinkin about gettin a hi-point pistol they are 3 times cheaper than the derringers I've seen they don't need to be accurate past 1ft

Jim
12-24-2011, 09:14 PM
James, I've done a lot of trapping over the years and I got by just fine with nothing more than a .22 revolver.

Love Life
12-24-2011, 09:19 PM
James, I've done a lot of trapping over the years and I got by just fine with nothing more than a .22 revolver.

That is what my buddy uses when he runs his traplines ouot here. 22 revolver loaded with remington thunderbolts. It is a heritage arms.

looseprojectile
12-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I carried a single shot .22 magnum rifle. [rechambered Remington 512 singleshot]
This allowed me to use .22 shorts and long rifles at short distance and the real thing if it was going to be harder to kill and if it was way off.
In five years of trapping I never found the need for anything more.
Those five years being self employed sure shot down the amount of my social security check though.

Life is good

KCSO
12-24-2011, 10:10 PM
At one time there was a small 22 semi auto pistol made by Jennings. I bought one for my father in law to kill possums with and it worked fine for 20 years, If you could find one of those they wern't too bad and made a good trap line gun.

waksupi
12-25-2011, 12:52 AM
I just whacked things over the head with a club. Fur buyers don't like extra holes in a hide.

troy_mclure
12-25-2011, 01:04 AM
a heritage "rough rider" .22 revolver runs $200 brand new, i see them used for $150.

or get a 1.5" bbl naa mini. that way you can use .22lr or .22wmr.

Bret4207
12-25-2011, 10:52 AM
What Troy said, lots of trappers around here use one. A Smith Kit Gun is even more better!

472x1B/A
12-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Just what waksupi said. FUR BUYERS DON"T LIKE HOLES EXTRA IN THE HIDES. Besides with a derringer you'll just shoot your eye out. LOL Really, what everyone else has said about revolvers and rifles, you will be better off. For the first 20 or so years of trapping I used a single shot .22 hand me down from my granddad. At times it was a pain but I got over it. Now I use a .22 revolver. AND at times it too is a pain, (with our stupid Ill gun laws). A .22 single shot rifle should do you well for many years James. Oh yah, buy the way I do sew up the holes in ALL of my hides that are shot with a rifle.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-25-2011, 11:21 AM
when i used to trap i just used a club . or look into a youth single shot 22 rifle
i have a derringer in 32 auto i think well it would not be my first pick for a trapping
gun a contender with a 10" barrel would be a fine little gun in 22LR for your use
but then you woul need to pick up a few more barrels for it :bigsmyl2: so
you can cast for them

TJF1
12-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Look at the north american arms little pistols the black widow is 22lr and 22mag with 2" barrel. I have one and it is neat.

DLCTEX
12-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I had bad results clubbing trapped Badgers (tough varmints) and possums (beat their heads to a pulp and they will get up and walk off. I never had a fur buyer complain about a 22 hole in the head.

TNFrank
12-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Derringers aren't very accurate, you only get two shots and a good one cost a lot. A good 22lr or 22Mag revolver in single action (Ruger Single Six with extra cylinder)or double action (like a Taurus or Ruger) would be a much better way to go.

Love Life
12-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Get you a 22 cricket. Put the barrel up to the critter's eye and pull the trigger. I have been contemplating getting one after reading Jim's posts on it.

454PB
12-25-2011, 02:24 PM
I've got two derringers I'd like to sell, but they are hardly worth the trouble unless the sale is face to face.

One is a .38 special and the other is a .22 magnum.

GabbyM
12-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Don't know where you'd find one at a good price, but. A 32 revolver. Anything from 32 S&W Long to Fed magnum. A 12” machete is a handy multi task tool and cost very little.
Get one made in Brazil not China.

Jamesconn
12-25-2011, 08:24 PM
I know all I need is a .22lr I've been using the henry lever action I got on my 8th birthday a derringer revolver or pistol is just smaller and lighter.

geargnasher
12-25-2011, 11:33 PM
When do you turn 21, James? Until then you'd better not get caught with a handgun out on your own. Keep using that fine Henry, or use a club as has been recommended, although I'd not try to club a racoon to death if you trap those.

Gear

Bret4207
12-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I have tried the club thing and the standing on the rib cage thing. No thanks. Anything larger than a mink gets a bullet, or better, a drowning set or Conibear.

DCP
12-26-2011, 10:10 AM
plus 1

I think he is only 16

When do you turn 21, James? Until then you'd better not get caught with a handgun out on your own. Keep using that fine Henry, or use a club as has been recommended, although I'd not try to club a racoon to death if you trap those.

Gear

waksupi
12-26-2011, 12:02 PM
You guys would have enjoyed seeing me release a mountain lion from a coyote trap back about 30 years ago.

1Shirt
12-26-2011, 12:02 PM
A small 22 auto or revolver like a Ruger Bearcat (if you can find one).
1Shirt!:coffee:

DCP
12-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Why would anyone encourage this young man to break the law is beyond me.

Jim
12-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Why would anyone encourage this young man to break the law is beyond me.

Who did that?

geargnasher
12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
For those that are unaware, the minimum legal age to own or possess a handgun in Texas is 21. Being caught with one or using one without direct supervision from a legal-age owner is a FELONY. If he gets checked by a game warden he'll go to jail and probably face grand jury indictment. This is one thing that most local Texas law enforcement WILL pursue, because it's an open/shut case for the district attorneys and rarely goes to court. It's generally handled by a plea deal involving lots and lots of fines, probation fees, and community service. The DAs like it because simple cases like this add to their conviction tally without clogging up the court docket, and it pumps money into the system. The Felony arrest will haunt a person's record forever and close lots of doors, even with deferred adjudication and successful release from probation.

I know not everyone realizes it, but James is one of our younger members, maybe not even old enough to own a rifle, so I thought I'd point this out.

Most trapping (except for garden pests like rabbits) requires a hunting license and proof of having taken a state-approved hunter education course. Get a copy of the parks and wildlife dept. "outdoor annual" for free anywhere licenses are sold to get all the details on the current game laws.

Gear

Love Life
12-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks for that Geargnasher. I had totally forgotten how old he is. With that said just use a 22 cricket. They are very lightweight and will put the lights out on just about anything you get in your trap, snare, etc. Unless you trap an up-aromored HMMWV!!

That made me laugh Waksupi. I often ask my buddy what he will do if he comes across one of his traps/snares and there is a Mountain lion or bear in it. He told me once he realized the deposit in his shorts wasn't running down his leg he would go back to the truck and get the shotgun. Heck of a long walk back to the though, but I digress...

Derringers are cool, and are good for "Get off me" guns, I wouldn't use one for a trapline if I was legal age and could carry my choice of pistola.

Jim
12-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Gear, I had no idea! Thanks for the 'heads up'!
As for the suggestion on the Cricket, I can certainly testify to their accuracy.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/p1010001-e1322773512104.jpg

Love Life
12-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Wow!! That is five shots in one hole. Can you do it again? Did you pack up and leave after shooting that group? I think the crickets are cool because they are cheap, and you can tailor you bullet to the task at hand. Small critter use a 22 short. Larger critters use a hi-velocity (relatively speaking) 22 lr. Same for trapping around pupolated areas. 22 shorts to be quiet. You wouldn't happen to moonlight as a salesman for the 22 cricket would you Jim?

James- keep it legal. You don't want to get busted and end up ruining your chances of a good life because of a bad decision you made when younger. Your current rifle will take care of everything. I understand it may get heavy after a while, but there are things you can do to mitigate that. When not trapping and just bumming through the wilds carry a pack that weighs twice as much as your rifle, and carry your rifle slung to the pack as well. Build your body to get used to the extra weight. Then when it is time to go trapping you can carry your rifle only, or a lighter load, and it will be much less taxing. Also a good sling that allows you to sling the weapon cross body across your back. That alone will make a huge difference.

After a few years of humping around packs that weighed closed to 2/3 my body weight the term "Light" rifle is relative to me. Trust me. My method works, but just takes time.

Roundnoser
12-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Gear

I know that in many states, (hunting) licensed trappers as young as 12 can carry a .22 to dispatch animals on their traplines (However nowhere else and for no other reason) whithout supervision, etc.

Jamesconn
12-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I haven't really started trapping yet I saved up for one and all I'm catching is feral cats in my front yard behind a fence with bushes in a neighborhood where neighbors have drunken skeet shoots in the residential area and half a dozen kids with rifles driving around on a golf cart ages 10-13 shoot anything that moves. Thanks for your concern I probably will stick to the Henry cause I'm broke anyway I need a car more and I have a year left then I'm gonna move to Minnesota so I can better learn to be a redneck from my family that actually loves the outdoors and hunts fish icefishing etc.
At the same time I am planning to get training as a welder electrician and machinist then get certified as a diver and join the navy and see where it takes me

Love Life
12-27-2011, 12:31 AM
If it is just cats then beat them to death with a heavy object. Good luck on the Navy.

troy_mclure
12-27-2011, 01:28 AM
I haven't really started trapping yet I saved up for one and all I'm catching is feral cats in my front yard behind a fence with bushes in a neighborhood where neighbors have drunken skeet shoots in the residential area and half a dozen kids with rifles driving around on a golf cart ages 10-13 shoot anything that moves. Thanks for your concern I probably will stick to the Henry cause I'm broke anyway I need a car more and I have a year left then I'm gonna move to Minnesota so I can better learn to be a redneck from my family that actually loves the outdoors and hunts fish icefishing etc.
At the same time I am planning to get training as a welder electrician and machinist then get certified as a diver and join the navy and see where it takes me

if you wantr to be a navy diver, just join the navy. they do not accept other dive certs. they will train you how THEY want you trained.

im a commercial diver in the gulf of mexico, if you wanna dive and make good money this is the place to be. starting is generally $50k/py. school is 4-8 months tho.

RugerFan
12-27-2011, 01:49 AM
You guys would have enjoyed seeing me release a mountain lion from a coyote trap back about 30 years ago.

I would have paid money to watch that! :mrgreen:

Bret4207
12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
if you wantr to be a navy diver, just join the navy. they do not accept other dive certs. they will train you how THEY want you trained.

im a commercial diver in the gulf of mexico, if you wanna dive and make good money this is the place to be. starting is generally $50k/py. school is 4-8 months tho.

2nd that. It's like all the people that take Criminal Justice in college because they think it'll help them get a cop job. Better you get a degree that will get you a job than think that degree will help you on a background inv or entrance exam. Same thing with welding and sport diving transferring over to military stuff. Apples and oranges, or more like apples and gummy worms.

Jamesconn
12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Well that's what I thought and my parents said yes they will retrain you but there's a bigger chance they will put me where I want cause I have previous experience my brother did the same thing with the air force

Love Life
12-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Talk to a recruiter. Don't let them give you the run around though. They will tell you jobs aren't open, but this one is close to being like that... Next thing you know you are in supply issuing boots. If you have any questions while talking to a recruiter there are more than enough veterans on this board who can give you the scoop.