PDA

View Full Version : What height front sight?

Tatume
12-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Hello Folks,

I've ordered a Winchester High Wall 45-70 Traditional Sporter (28" round barrel, steel shotgun buttplate, pistol grip stock). This is my third Miroku Highwall (second in 45-70); I like them very much.

I'm going to equip this one with a Marbles Tang sight. Does anybody know which Lyman #17 globe front sight is correct for this application? I'll be using it mostly for informal target shooting.

Thanks, Tom

stubert
12-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Williams gun site used to have a chart on their web site explaining how to figuire front site height. Not sure if it is still there.

stobey
12-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Marble's also has a chart tp figure out sight heighth.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

cajun shooter
12-26-2011, 09:48 AM
If you are using a globe sight then look at Midway or Brownells for figuring the correct height. They both sell a card that contains many choices of insert styles. They have the process and a phone call will get you the height without you doing the work.They are from fine target cross hairs to heavy brush type inserts. These type of sights will give you much better tuning of your rifle.
You may want to mount a soule type of sight rather than the Marbles tang sight. I have a lot of experience with both and the tang type of adjustable sight is many times above the Marbles sight. The Marbles is great on lever action or woods rifles but they lack the fine tuning that your rifle needs to reach it's full accuracy potential.
The sights are the ones sold by Buffalo Arms and have names such as MVA, Hokie, Lee Shavers and even the top of the line Pedersoli is a good sight.
They all are in the same price range as a Leupould Scope but to purchase such a rifle and mount $100 sights is not going to give you happy results.
If you just plan to hunt with it you may get by but the Marbles sights are hard to return to different POA'S.

NSB
12-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I have a gun very similar to yours. I have the 125th anniversary model. It has the 28"bbl, shotgun style butt plate, etc. I ended up putting a Williams FP (Fool Proof) sight on it and it works great. Very adjustable and suitable for either target or hunting. It cost around $93 directly from Williams. I ended up putting a Lyman 20 front globe on it and the height is perfect. I think it's around .7" from bottom to center. You get a number of inserts for it and I've found the post works the best for hunting. Your gun is pre drilled and tapped to accept this sight with no gunsmithing required. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Tatume
12-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I ended up putting a Williams FP (Fool Proof) sight on it and it works great. Very adjustable and suitable for either target or hunting.

My other Winchester High Wall 45-70 has a Williams FP and XS Sights blade front sight. That gun has a 24" barrel and came from the factory fitted with a straight stock and recoil pad. I enjoy it very much. After looking at the other 45-70 single shots on the market, I decided to purchase another Winchester High Wall. I'm looking for greater precision from the 28" barrel and enhanced sights, which is why I'm planning to install a tang sight on this one.

I ended up putting a Lyman 20 front globe on it and the height is perfect. I think it's around .7" from bottom to center. You get a number of inserts for it and I've found the post works the best for hunting.

Lyman says: "The Lyman 20 Series Globe Front Sight features a larger 7/8" diameter tube" but they don't say larger than what. I've looked at all the other Lyman #17 series sights and nowhere do they say the tube diameter. Try as I might, I cannot find a reference to the diameter of the Lyman 17a series of sights. Does anybody have one to measure?

Take care, Tom

Tatume
12-27-2011, 08:30 AM
You may want to mount a soule type of sight rather than the Marbles tang sight. I have a lot of experience with both and the tang type of adjustable sight is many times above the Marbles sight. The Marbles is great on lever action or woods rifles but they lack the fine tuning that your rifle needs to reach it's full accuracy potential.

The sights are the ones sold by Buffalo Arms and have names such as MVA, Hokie, Lee Shavers and even the top of the line Pedersoli is a good sight.
They all are in the same price range as a Leupould Scope but to purchase such a rifle and mount $100 sights is not going to give you happy results.
If you just plan to hunt with it you may get by but the Marbles sights are hard to return to different POA'S.

My original plan was to install a Baldwin or an MVA. When I thought about the fact that I'm going to shoot on a 100-yard range, I though I might as well save some money and buy the less expensive Marbles rear sight. Now I'm having second thoughts. Although I don't come up and down for different ranges, I do a lot of experimenting with ammo, and that requires frequent elevation adjustments.

Now I need to think more about the height of the rear sight staff. For example, Baldwin offer three heights, short, mid, and long range. They have the same picture for each, and don't say which one it is.

Before I spend the money I need to be educated about these sights. Any help will be appreciated.

Take care, Tom

Hang Fire
12-27-2011, 09:00 AM
With the new improved Marbles tang sight base and interchangeable posts, one can quickly and easily go from 100 to 1,000 yards. And the improved base and one post is cheaper than one of Marbles old fixed post tang sights.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/886927/marbles-improved-tang-peep-sight-standard-upright-blue

cajun shooter
12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
My original plan was to install a Baldwin or an MVA. When I thought about the fact that I'm going to shoot on a 100-yard range, I though I might as well save some money and buy the less expensive Marbles rear sight. Now I'm having second thoughts. Although I don't come up and down for different ranges, I do a lot of experimenting with ammo, and that requires frequent elevation adjustments.

Now I need to think more about the height of the rear sight staff. For example, Baldwin offer three heights, short, mid, and long range. They have the same picture for each, and don't say which one it is.

Before I spend the money I need to be educated about these sights. Any help will be appreciated.

Take care, Tom

The good Soule ights are of course the top of the line but if you shoot more than one load then a sight that may be adjustable for many bullet weights and conditions are called for.
The rifle that you are buying is a fine one that is quite capable of shooting out to the 1000 yard ranges. If you are shooting one type of bullet at fixed ranges then a tang site such as the Marbles is a good choice. If you decide to shoot at different ranges then a better sight is called for.
As far as the globe sight on the Lyman 17 it is 9/16 in diameter. You may want to look at a front sight such as the Lee Shaver that has a bubble for canting.
If you ever plan on shooting BPCR then a front sight for just a few more dollars will also have windage adjustment. This may sound like overkill but if you ever shoot where you have high winds then it will be a huge plus. A lot of the front sights run about 3/4 in in diameter. A good rear tang will cost in the $475 range or more with the front running up to $150.
These type sights may be removed and placed on another gun if you sell the gun.
The sights that are put on any gun are the equipment that is used to let that piece either perform to it's best or worst.
I'm not trying to have you buy something you neither need or want but your rifle is in a class that is capable of doing several things well unless you hamper it with the incorrect sighting pieces.
When you take that rifle and install good sights you are ready for anything you decide to do.
The length of the rear tang soule type sights will determine the amount of range adjustment you need. If you will never shoot past 300 yards then the short shaft will fill your order with the medium maybe 800 and the longest will go to 1200 or more.
Sights are like winter clothes in that if you have the warmest clothes made you can always put them on but if you don't have it then you can't put it on.
Your plans may dictate that you will never shoot that rifle past the 100 yards but if you have a chance to hunt elk in Montana you will not be ready.
All of this is based on general information as I have no idea where you live, your age or your plans. Just trying to give some pointers. Brownells sells a rear and front sight combo for $430 by AET Corp. It is made to fit the Winchester and Browning rifles. I have no experience with this company and maybe someone else will chime in. Later David