PDA

View Full Version : Had to share with folks that would understand

fldigger
02-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Yesterday I visited several tire stores in search of wheel weights. The first three either turn them in to their battery distributor for credit or Safety Kleen. Feeling a bit dejected I dragged myself into store #4 and inquired, the manager took me to 2 five gallon buckets and said take all you want. Needless to say, I cleaned him out and left my number for future use. I even offered to give him something for them and he refused. Since this was my first attempt at collecting ww from local shops I was pretty darn excited. I tried to tell my wife about it, she was not real excited, to say the least. I figured you guys would understand how a person could get worked up over ten gallons of lead. I know it is paltry compared to some stashes, but for my first attempt, I was a happy dude. Now the sorting begins. Thanks for allowing me to gloat for a moment.

Poygan
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
That is an excellent start! And we do understand. It only gets better as you convert that bucket into a pile of shiney boolits.

pumpguy
02-28-2007, 10:19 AM
And yet we are supposed to get worked up over a new purse.:) Congratulations on a good first find. Keep this guy happy with a case of his favorite adult beverage and he will keep you in ww's forever.

Ohio Rusty
02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Buckets of wheel weights are our pot of gold at the end of the rainbow !! Your wife should be elated that you have them. That means you'll be home doing things you enjoy instead of drinking and carousing all hours of the night like alot of other boyfriends/husbands. Maybe she'll get excited at the finished product when you show her those shiny, sparkling well-cast boolits !!
Ohio Rusty

mag_01
02-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Good fortune has befallen you------ Now make some good Boolits----Mag

nighthunter
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Fldigger .... Once the casting bug gets it teeth into you, you will want to share your happiness every time you score the WW. Must be something gets into the blood. Congratulations and welcome to cast bullets.
Nighthunter

NVcurmudgeon
02-28-2007, 01:36 PM
My wife and I have a deal. She was very interested in the pipe nipple and caps that I buried in the coals of the fire to anneal gas checks. She even listened to my recountng the difficulties of finding the fittings in the Reno-Sparks area which has a great need for a REAL hardware store. In turn, I am enthusiastic about her latest aquisition from Bed Bath and Beyond, another step along the way of Fran's redoing our kitchen in red.

dragonrider
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Nice going FlDigger, ya women are like that, my wife usually says something like "ohh, that's nice dear, what do think of this swatch of fabric,"

Buckshot
02-28-2007, 02:17 PM
................Curmudgeon and his wife are both pretending :-). That's nice. Donna and I do the same, sometimes. Usually I'll run in to show her something and she'll say, "That's nice .......................what am I looking at?" Or, "That's nice, did you carry out the trash like I asked?"

Face it, their minds just work different, and being aliens from another planet they just don't get what's truely important in life, like a couple hundred pounds of WW metal or the bedding job you just completed.

.................Buckshot

buck1
02-28-2007, 03:12 PM
fldigger good score, BUT 2 dozen unexpected doughnuts when the store opens will secure future buckets!
Heck cold beer on friday at 500pm may have them delivered to your door! Also the workers are the ones to talk to most of the time.
Just a tip from someone who is now set for life on WW!....Buck

Sundogg1911
02-28-2007, 03:26 PM
2 buckets of WW's is a nice score! I still get excited when I find detached Wheel weight in a parking lot! ;-)

Scrounger
02-28-2007, 03:50 PM
2 buckets of WW's is a nice score! I still get excited when I find detached Wheel weight in a parking lot! ;-)

You're in for a real thrill when you learn to detach them yourself...It's like being on Meth. Aahhh, the adrenalin surge when you're hunkered down behind some 18 wheeler pulling WWs as fast as you can while some 250 pound goon who played tackle on the prison football team is stuffing down greasy cheeseburgers in the truckstop...

(I know we have some truckers here. This is a joke--Please don't come looking for me...)

carpetman
02-28-2007, 04:13 PM
NVcurmudgeon----Bill,Fran was interested in your pipe nipples. I just knew you were going to say you also share an interest in pipe.

Lloyd Smale
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
ive got mine partialy trained. Shes picked me up quite a few buckets of wws. Ive actually gone to a tire shop asked and have been turned down and shes gone a day or two later and came back with a bucket or two. Most of the guys at the tire shops have a harder time saying no to a women. Shes also scored me lynotype a couple times. If shes going to town she will even call places to see if theres lead to find out how many buckets she needs to bring. Now if i could just get her to reload for me. But she puts her foot down there.

jawjaboy
02-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Most of the guys at the tire shops have a harder time saying no to a women.

Yessir! That is a fact!

fldigger
03-01-2007, 09:24 AM
It gets better, I found a tire shop yesterday who told me to come back in about a month. He claims to produce 5-7 five gallon buckets every month or two. I sure hope he is even close to right. That would keep me casting for a long time. But I do have a question. The buckets I got the other daily seem pretty oily. Should I attempt to clean them or just smelt them as is and flux like the devil?

Wayne Smith
03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Don't even have to flux, that oily stuff is the flux!

Sundogg1911
03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Lloyd....I woman the bring WW's, and Lino.....That's a keeper!

cohutt
03-01-2007, 08:14 PM
My wife and I have a deal. She was very interested in the pipe nipple and caps that I buried in the coals of the fire to anneal gas checks. She even listened to my recountng the difficulties of finding the fittings in the Reno-Sparks area which has a great need for a REAL hardware store. In turn, I am enthusiastic about her latest aquisition from Bed Bath and Beyond, another step along the way of Fran's redoing our kitchen in red.

And both of you should have been nominated for academy awards after those performances