PDA

View Full Version : Never use Paypal again!!

Pigslayer
12-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I just found out that paypal reversed a payment to Accurate molds today because they didn't recognize the computer I was using when I made the payment!! They will not put the money (which was taken from my bank) on my paypal account for three business days!!! Who in hell do they think they are? That means Tom won't get his money until next friday!! I will have to resend the money on thursday! I've had to send an apology e-mail to Tom. I'm livid!!!

mold maker
12-23-2011, 05:48 PM
They did it to protect your interest.

Pigslayer
12-23-2011, 05:53 PM
They did it to protect your interest.

If they did it to protect my interest then they never should have hit my bank with the transaction. If this is their SOP then I will only be able to make purchases using my home computer. They have to do better than that. From now on I use my checkcard . . . with a phone call. My money is tied up in Paypals hands until thursday. My order with Accurate will be a week behind now. Had I known this would happen I would have called Tom on the phone.

bearcove
12-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Thats like being asked to show your ID when you use a credit card. I say thank you when they ask and they are suprised. Simple security.

imashooter2
12-23-2011, 07:25 PM
When they kill a transaction, they usually just put the money into your PayPal account. You could have just paid Tom from there instead of trying to transfer it back into your bank.

Geraldo
12-23-2011, 07:28 PM
How would you have felt if someone had hacked your account and cleaned out your attached bank account? Having been hit by indentity theft I'm always happy when my bank or CC company calls to verify a transaction and I can tell you that the inconvenience you're experiencing now is nothing in comparison to theft.

Relax and enjoy Christmas!

UtopiaTexasG19
12-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Would you rather they have no security features and let any yahoo with a 3 day degree in I.T. get into your account from another computer and spend your hard earned money? When the mold eventually gets to you your lead will still be fresh enough to melt properly. :)

bearcove
12-23-2011, 07:34 PM
You could always just use cash.

The gas money will be a boatparkinspot!

bearcove
12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
translation required boatparkinspot is a beach. almost bitch a female dog.

catmasher
12-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Do you guys realize that TOM is really not his name!!!I've known him for years.
And no I wont tell

roysha
12-23-2011, 08:16 PM
I only use pp when I absolutely have to. EVERY transaction feeds the coffers of their antigun agenda and the vendors here and other sites that sell gun related items and use pp, irritate me no end, but it seems if one wishes to do business with some of them, that is the only option.:(

12-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Indeed, identity theft is not a fun process to go through. It took my wife most of a year to resolve hers, and the police offered very little help.

Whenever I pay with a credit card, and the clerk/cashier asks for identification, I, too, gladly thank them. I can count on fewer than five fingers, the number of times per year that I'm asked.

Pigslayer
12-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Look, what was done was not to protect me. If my paypal account had of been compromised it would have been paypal who would have been responsible. If paypal were suspicious, all they had to do was call me and I would have responded. They have my number. But instead they lock my money up for a week. From now on I call or use snail mail.

Pigslayer
12-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I only use pp when I absolutely have to. EVERY transaction feeds the coffers of their antigun agenda and the vendors here and other sites that sell gun related items and use pp, irritate me no end, but it seems if one wishes to do business with some of them, that is the only option.:(

Thank you. A lesson learned.

Pigslayer
12-23-2011, 09:39 PM
When they kill a transaction, they usually just put the money into your PayPal account. You could have just paid Tom from there instead of trying to transfer it back into your bank.

I concur.

Pigslayer
12-23-2011, 09:40 PM
How would you have felt if someone had hacked your account and cleaned out your attached bank account? Having been hit by indentity theft I'm always happy when my bank or CC company calls to verify a transaction and I can tell you that the inconvenience you're experiencing now is nothing in comparison to theft.

Relax and enjoy Christmas!

They didn't call.

bearcove
12-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I tell other people this. I don't like unemployment. I don't like social security. I don't like medicare. I don't like corporations. I don't like my Union. Some days I don't like my wife, but you have to use what the system has set up or you are just disadvantaging yourself.

Change is a slow process.

waksupi
12-23-2011, 09:54 PM
I would have sent them a thank you note.

KYCaster
12-23-2011, 10:27 PM
My daughter worked for a company that processed credit card transactions. The CC company would deposit the amount of the transaction into her company's account and they would disperse the money to the various retailers who made the sale.

The miniscule amount they charged for the transaction wasn't enough to cover a fraction of their expenses.

Their income was almost entirely from interest on the money that sat in their account waiting to be transferred.

I imagine it's the same with PP....the longer the money sits in their account the more profit they make.

Not much incentive to expedite your transaction.

Jerry

Stephen Cohen
12-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Your suffering an inconvenience, I was a victim of identity fraud and now have a criminal record which can never be removed, only have an amendment added to it. The perp was a known crim long record and his fingerprint were not checked, seems he used a stollen cancelled licence as ID, I was arrested by MPs and locked up and handed over to civilian police before it was all sorted. be thankfull your only suffering an inconvenience.

clintsfolly
12-23-2011, 11:18 PM
My PP was hacked and I was on the phone with them in less hour and the money was NOT moved yet but they still move it and need 2 weeks to get it returned!!!!! Clint

wv109323
12-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Paypal is antigun antigun antigun. You lucky to resolve so quickly since it involved a bullet mold.

bearcove
12-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Paypal is ebay is paypal. If its ok on ebay it seems to be ok...

Heavy lead
12-23-2011, 11:42 PM
I've been done with paypal since my original credit card limit of 10k was up. I will not under any circumstance give access to my bank account to them, with a link to my savings and other banking accounts, no way, no how.
I want the extra layer of security that a credit card affords, I have had, just last year someone who tried to steel my wife's id through our credit card, they cancelled both of our cards immediately (I was denied making a purchase) and when I got home there was a message, I appreciated it.
I agree that PP is a nice convience, but they won't get my bank account number. If they will agree to lift the limit, I'll use again, but not until then.

jcwit
12-23-2011, 11:44 PM
China is about as anti gun as you can get, but I bet everyone here buys stuff from china!

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

jcwit
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
I use a Debit Card from our small town local band for my PayPal account. No link to my band acct and such. Works very well for me and if I don't have the money available on the card I can't buy. Works for me and there are no charges.

gew98
12-24-2011, 09:42 AM
My daughter worked for a company that processed credit card transactions. The CC company would deposit the amount of the transaction into her company's account and they would disperse the money to the various retailers who made the sale.

The miniscule amount they charged for the transaction wasn't enough to cover a fraction of their expenses.

Their income was almost entirely from interest on the money that sat in their account waiting to be transferred.

I imagine it's the same with PP....the longer the money sits in their account the more profit they make.

Jerry

BAM !!...... This is exactly the MODUS OPERANDI of payscum !. I dropped my account close to a decade ago wit hthem. I had more than a couple friends have their accounts "locked up" by those criminals and iin all cases it was no petty cash amount. And you bet they earned alot of interest on them. Payscum has a considerable amount of doings exactly like a bank...but politicians have protected them so they do not fall under the rules of a bank so they in effect do all kinds of shannanigans a bank could not get away with. Use those boogers at your own peril !.

Pigslayer
12-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey, everyone! It seems that for some who responded to my thread (Thank You), the point was missed! My complaint was not about internet security . . . I have no problems with that. I have no problems with a sale being declined due to suspicion of fraud. I understand that. I work with credit card networks (i.e. Buypass, ADS, First Data etc.) on a daily basis. This is about a sale that was initially approved (money on it's way) then the money being intercepted/held and the Vendor being denied payment. The money then gets to sit in PP's interest bearing holding tank for three "business" days along with (I'll Bet) a lot of other monies gotten the same way. Then after the time sentenced in purgatory my money gets put in my PP account, not the bank account (again, in PP's interest bearing account) from whence it came!! For those who don't know. When a payment is initialized, that money comes straight from the Federal Reserve to PP's financial institution. No waiting on a line of credit or waiting for a check to clear. They have it as of 12:01 next business day. That means, as of 12:01 on 12/26/11, they will be in possession of my money . . . and for three days after that. Does anyone here get paid via direct deposit? If you do your your money comes straight from the Federal Reserve to your account with the exception of your money not being put on hold for three days.
This all happened because they saw that I was using a different I.P. address???!!! I can access my bank account and a ING account from any I.P. address I like by answering security questions. But you know what? This is my fault. Because I trusted an institution to do the right thing. Never again will I allow anyone Carte Blanc to do what they will with my money.
I contacted Tom@Accurate Molds and he replied in that he was just notified. He too, was in agreement about the boldness of PP's holding of one's money.[smilie=b:
If this thread accomplishes anything, I am in hopes that it somehow reaches out to a percentage of the masses and instills caution in the financially complacent. As for my part . . . I am ashamed of my nai'evity.

Pigslayer
12-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Jerry

Not here to bust your chops but the network (CC processing companies) get approx .50 per transaction and a percentage of each sale. Discover & American express being the most expensive. As far as expediting a transaction . . . that is their job . . . ad infinitum. That is the service that they have offerred to John Q. Public. They need to live up to their obligations . . . hands down.

KYCaster
12-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Not here to bust your chops but the network (CC processing companies) get approx .50 per transaction and a percentage of each sale. Discover & American express being the most expensive. As far as expediting a transaction . . . that is their job . . . ad infinitum. That is the service that they have offerred to John Q. Public. They need to live up to their obligations . . . hands down.

Well, I don't understand everything I know about it....and I certainly don't know everything there is to know about it.

But....I do know that the company's name didn't appear on anybody's credit card and it isn't a name that Mr. and Ms. Public would recognize.

They didn't get a percentage of anybody's transaction and the flat fee they charged for each transaction they processed is a small fraction of what the CC company charges the customer. Their main source of income was a fraction of a percent interest on the balance of their escrow account, compounded daily. At any given time the balance of that account was in the millions of dollars.

Incentive to expedite the transactions came from the banks that issued the cards...they were the ones paying for the service. If they got too many customer complaints they would find another company to provide better service.

There is no such incentive in the PP/E-Bay system. Their options are very limited and designed to make PP your most convenient option. If you don't want to play the game their way, your only option is to.......um...well, you don't have any other option; you either play or you don't.

Jerry

blackthorn
12-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Personally I will go to my bank and get a bank money order. These are the same as cash, except they are specified to the payee. They are as safe (for me) as a personel check, without the danger to the payee of getting stiffed with a rubber check. If the seller is not prepared to accept the bank MO I will live without the product! NO Pay Pal (or such) for me!

jcwit
12-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Personally I will go to my bank and get a bank money order. These are the same as cash, except they are specified to the payee. They are as safe (for me) as a personel check, without the danger to the payee of getting stiffed with a rubber check. If the seller is not prepared to accept the bank MO I will live without the product! NO Pay Pal (or such) for me!

Not me! They want over $5.00 for a bank M/O.

PayPal and a no charge debit card works just fine!

Randy in Arizona
12-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Join a credit union - mine does not charge for the first MO on an account each day.
[One free money order per account a day]

jcwit
12-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Won't even consider it. I've had my accounts there since Oct 2nd, 1943.

Their benifits far outweigh the $5.00 MO fee.

Pigslayer
12-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Western Union money orders are $1.00 at 7-11 & half that at a Western Union office.
I'm bidding on an item right now on ebay and have asked seller if they would accept a money order . . . they said yes. Most will.

jcwit
12-25-2011, 06:02 PM
don't forget to factor in your fuel expense getting the WU M/O.

PayPal is FREE.

And don't bring up the Anti Gun

China is about as anti gun as you can get, but I bet everyone here buys stuff from china!

I could be wrong, but I doubt it

waksupi
12-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Western Union has been known for years as a good way to have your money lost.

Tazman1602
12-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Man first off I'd probably thank them, they really are just watching out for you but hey, you have a right to your opinions man.

I can paypal from my phone and not have any issues, used them for years and don't care about their anti gun stance. They are by far the fastest, cheapest way for someone to get me money when I am selling or buying either way.

No disrespect intended....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Art

KYCaster
12-26-2011, 12:17 AM
The one experience I've had with Western Union was a disappointment.

I accepted a WU MO and took it to the local WU office (a Rite-Aid pharmacy) and they refused to cash it. Took it to another office (Houchens Grocery) and they wouldn't cash it either.

Took it to my bank and they wouldn't cash it either. They put a hold on the funds for seven days....more than twice as long as they hold a check. It would have been less hassle to accept a personal check.

If I ever agree to use WU again, it will be a money transfer. I'll arrange to be at the local office when the money is transferred and they'll put the cash in my hand....NO MORE WU MO's for me.

Jerry

Cariboo
12-26-2011, 03:55 AM
So far PayPal has been the least expensive, fast and has always worked well.
A while back the CC (Visa) I use for most things caused me some major problems in some ways similar to yours with PP. They acknowledged a large purchase well within my limits and then froze that amount for a week putting me up to my limit so neither my better-half nor I could use our cards. The long & short of it we doubled our limit a couple of days later so that we could continue to use their money at no cost for a couple of weeks. I am sure the couple of days ranting had only got my blood pressure up.
My Dad use to tell me “Don’t cut your nose off to spite your face” or when I would get worked up over something “It’s better to be p***** off than p***** on”.
That said none of us like it when life throws us a curve ball, but for the most part it’s not the end of the game.
With that said, may I wish all a HEALTHY & prosperous New Year.

Pigslayer
12-26-2011, 09:16 AM
don't forget to factor in your fuel expense getting the WU M/O.

PayPal is FREE.

And don't bring up the Anti Gun

No fuel expense here. I drive a company vehicle everyday as a service tech making repairs at gas stations all over MD & Northern VA. My fuel is free & my time paid for. No more Paypal. If I don't like Western Union, there is always the Post Office . . . or the Grocery Store. In other words, I have a choice . . . yes, as foreign as that may sound, I have a choice. I am in agreement that PP is free . . . and easy. I used it for a long time. I'm not telling you that you can't nor shouldn't use their services . . . not my job. I'm simply stating that I am NOT willing to allow PP to have that kind of control over my money. If I have to wait a few extra days for my vendor to get my money it will be my choice, not PP's. If I us a personal check or money order, I know it's on it's way & not in someone else's account.
Now, as far as being anti-gun . . . they are. I've been doing my research and they most certainly are. An issue that I WILL bring up if I CHOOSE. Just more reinforcement for my decision.

jcwit
12-26-2011, 09:27 AM
As you wish! Still going to cost you for the M/O.

Pigslayer
12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Talked to a rep @ Ebay today & was told that they did in fact make a blatant mistake in reversing my transaction. I explained to them that I cannot allow them to ever again to have access to my checking account. They understood & apologized.

GLL
12-27-2011, 06:32 PM
It was very easy to bypass the bank account concern ! I set up a new "free" account at my bank with just a few dollars in it but never use it. When you pay for an item on PP you can select payment via your debit/credit card instead of your account. PayPal never accesses your bank !
On two occasions PayPal had to refund me money but at my request mailed me a check instead of putting money in "my account" !

I have never had the "wrong" computer problem and use several for PayPal.

NEVER use Western Union !!!! It took over 90 days to get my money back from BofA for a lost bank Money Order !!!

Jerry

bowfin
12-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Mihec (the mould maker) has said he would like to ease away from Paypal and go to Alertpay. Does anybody know anything about this outfit? I wouldn't even bother, except I still am in some group buys for which he is making moulds.

I am about to hit my limit with Paypal, and that will be the end of that for me, as I will not give them my bank account to run as they see fit.

In the end, I will probably use money orders almost exclusively, and pass on any deal that can't accommodate that.

white eagle
12-27-2011, 09:19 PM
yep policies are put forth to hep us poor, poor simpletons
Tom will understand ...

jcwit
12-28-2011, 10:55 AM
yep policies are put forth to hep us poor, poor simpletons

Considering how many idiots are actually out there, there's more truth to this statement than sarcasm.

montana_charlie
12-28-2011, 01:03 PM
No fuel expense here. I drive a company vehicle everyday as a service tech making repairs at gas stations all over MD & Northern VA. My fuel is free & my time paid for.
Everybody has been trying to give you suggestions that save you time and money because they don't have much of those two things to waste.

Nobody knew you do all of your personal business on your employer's dime.

CM

Stick_man
12-28-2011, 03:45 PM
I still use PP for a lot of my online transactions simply because of the convenience of it. If I am sending money to somebody I know (or another forum member etc), I will usually send the funds as a "gift" so neither of us get hit with any fees for the payment. I don't want PP to make any more money off of me than is absolutely necessary.

I have seen and experienced mess-ups by credit card companies and banks just as often or more so than with Paypal. Where PP is simply one method of paying somebody, I don't lose too much sleep over them "freezing" my account. There are other (less convenient) ways to pay somebody. When shopping online though, I actually prefer to use PP rather than give my credit card information to somebody that may or may not be legit in all their purposes.

DODGEM250
12-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Pay Pal is my number one source for sales transactions here in my repair shop. Be thankful they are looking out for you. You could always use... GunPal LMAO (who?) GunPal is the one who took the money and ran... remember ?

Pigslayer
12-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Everybody has been trying to give you suggestions that save you time and money because they don't have much of those two things to waste.

Nobody knew you do all of your personal business on your employer's dime.

CM You are presumtuous in assuming that I do all of my business on my employers dime, actually rather bold. I never asked for suggestions on how to save money nor did anyone give me any. I simply expressed a grievance about a financial institution that "I" allowed to have too many liberties with "my" money. I take responsibility for that. Furthermore I simply stated that I would never allow them to do that again. I am amazed at how a post can be twisted & turned and an incredibly provacative/presumptuous & off color spin put on it by those who are not easily briefed.
But then there is always someone that is all too willing to jump on the shame casting bandwagon & say "bad boy"! Comprehension comes hard for some. Nuff said.

Pigslayer
12-29-2011, 08:49 PM
This is amazing. As I've posted, Paypal admitted that my payment to Accurate Molds was reversed & held by them due to a "Glitch" in their system. They guaranteed me my money would be posted to my account yesterday . . . didn't arrive. Then they guaranteed that it would be there this afternoon . . . didn't arrive. Just made a call to them & my call was routed to a representative in "Manila" who guarantees me that my money will be posted to my account before midnight tonight. They denied payment to my vendor and have held my money for a week. Food for thought.

jcwit
12-29-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm sure they're getting rich from the interest of your money, right?

thx997303
12-29-2011, 10:26 PM
I'd be asking for my thread locked too, if I came across as........well, the above is self explanatory.

bravokilo
12-30-2011, 04:17 AM
[QUOTE=Pigslayer;1517976]No fuel expense here. I drive a company vehicle everyday as a service tech making repairs at gas stations all over MD & Northern VA. My fuel is free & my time paid for. QUOTE]

MC said "Nobody knew you do all of your personal business on your employer's dime."

OK, your time and fuel is PAID for. That is what YOU said. Please enlighten us as to WHO is paying for YOUR time and fuel?

PS "You are presumptuous in assuming that I do all of my business on my employers dime, actually rather bold."

Not really when you brag that "My fuel is free & my time paid for. "

When I am forced to pay with a PMO it costs me approx, $4 to do that. Not to mention my time. MY employer does NOT pick up that expense. It comes out of MY pocket. Paypal is FREE.

Very few of us get to take care of personal business on somebody else's dime, so don't get pi$$y when somebody calls you on it.

I really resent being told how to pay for something with MY money. Or what I should or shouldn't buy with MY money. Their is a particular member of this board who will chime in when a purchase of a Colt is being discussed and say "DON"T BUY COLT". When asked why he will mention his father being annoyed by something Colt did 30-40 years ago that he doesn't really remember. ????? And then there are the snide/rude comments that occasionally pop up when a person mentions altering/sporterizing a military rifle. It is NOBODY's business what somebody does with THEIR property.

I think that you should re title this thread to "*I* won't use Paypal again" instead of "NEVER use Paypal again".

Because YOU had a problem with Paypal does not make it MY problem.

BK

Pigslayer
12-30-2011, 10:30 AM
"and the flies get stuck to the flypaper."
The Moon Is Down . . . . . John Steinbeck