PDA

View Full Version : Lead Supply is Drying up, got to find another way to Supplement income.

Muddy Creek Sam
12-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Howdy all,

A bit perplexed as to which way to turn, I have had great response selling the Isotope lead, Thank you very much, But the sources are drying up. I am not allowed to have a part time job or own a business without Messing up my VA Disability. I need to have an extra income no matter how I slice up the pie. Looking for Ideas. I have equipment but no one to teach me to use it. Mill, Lathe, Drill Press and electric Hacksaw. No CNC in the entire bunch all seriously old equipment. Tried to get a local out of work Machinist to help out, I couldn't afford his rates.

Any helpful Ideas will be cheerfully accepted.

Merry Christmas to all,

Sam :D

Love Life
12-23-2011, 12:19 PM
What about renting the the shopspace and equipment out?

shooterg
12-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Most local Community Colleges have some machinist classes - lot of older folks take 'em here to learn a bit and make a project.

Muddy Creek Sam
12-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Most local Community Colleges have some machinist classes - lot of older folks take 'em here to learn a bit and make a project.

After some checking nearest classes are 60 miles 1 way.

Ole
12-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Is your home paid for? Are you old enough to do a reverse mortgage?

Muddy Creek Sam
12-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Is your home paid for? Are you old enough to do a reverse mortgage?
Home is paid for, but I have a life estate, no possibility to borrow against it. Plays heck with finances.

Moondawg
12-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I taught myself to use a metal lathe and vertical milling machine. Try finding some machine shop textbooks, at used bood store, local library etc. Get some scrap stock to practice on go for it. Just be safe. Machine shop course at a community college is another route, if you can find one. They are getting few an far behind is some parts of the country. All the ones I inquired about were teaching CNC only and practically required a degree in computer.
Good luck. and Merry Christmas

fatelk
12-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Have you considered youtube for some machine tool tutorials?

GRUMPA
12-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Maybe I just look at things just a bit different, a person can own all the machines he/she wants. Can be at give away prices but, (there's always a but in there) that's the cheapest thing about machining. Now factor in all the tooling that's required to do the most basic of things and then you start to realize that the machine was the cheapest part of the whole thing.

jcwit
12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I can't believe this was posted on a public forum!

Ickisrulz
12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
You are disabled...cannot work...but can lug lead to the post office?

Thank God I have no disabilities and am in good shape...but wrestling a 60+ box of lead in a flat rate box is "work."

Maybe you should be re-evaluated and re-negotiate your disability.

Muddy Creek Sam
12-23-2011, 04:48 PM
You are disabled...cannot work...but can lug lead to the post office?

Thank God I have no disabilities and am in good shape...but wrestling a 60+ box of lead in a flat rate box is "work."

Maybe you should be re-evaluated and re-negotiate your disability.

Ickisrulz,

I never move a full box, Smelt and pour and box on a stable platform. Mail lady takes them off. No lugging Thank you.

Muddy Creek Sam
12-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Maybe I just look at things just a bit different, a person can own all the machines he/she wants. Can be at give away prices but, (there's always a but in there) that's the cheapest thing about machining. Now factor in all the tooling that's required to do the most basic of things and then you start to realize that the machine was the cheapest part of the whole thing.

Grumpa,

Got all Dad's tooling and Accessories, Didn't get the Knowledge. I got lot's of stuff, I don't even know what it does.

Crawdaddy
12-23-2011, 05:07 PM
a few possibilities:

1) incomeathome.com
2) pick up range brass for scrap or sale
3) call scrap yards to look for lead
4) adds on craigslist for lead
5) babysitting or house sitting
6) dog sitting (sounds crazy but I pay a dog sitter when I go out of town)
7) check with a local church for odd jobs you may be able to do.

wish I could offer more advice

Springfield
12-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Do like I do most all of my knowledge about things, buy a book and practice. That's how I learned to reload, cast boolits, sew, do leatherwork. I learned mechanics by messing up my first motorcycle over and over again, now I do most of my own work. I have a small lathe also, just start with simple projects and go from there. You probably have more time then I, what with my 2 kids and all, but that is a good way to go. I have my Dad's old machinist's tool box full of stuff that I don't know how to use also, but I will get there eventually.

jcwit
12-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I am not allowed to have a part time job or own a business without Messing up my VA Disability.

And you're thinking of starting a Machine shop?

Muddy Creek Sam
12-23-2011, 06:51 PM
And you're thinking of starting a Machine shop?

No, I am wanting to start a hobby, looking to enhance income, not a licensed business. I am looking to find something I am able to do to keep the wolves away from the door.

bearcove
12-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Sell the tools. That will be more than you will see for years as a hobby shop.

That said I am setting up a hobby shop. BUT, I understand it will cost money not make money.

hiram1
12-23-2011, 07:44 PM
i hope you the best of luck.i know how hard it is to eat now days.eat meds and roof and it is gone.but obummer will get it all changed.yep im sure in a pigs ---

Blacksmith
12-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Look into local craft fairs and find a craft you can do.
Making jewelry
Stained Glass
Build Whirlygigs
Make knives from kits
Doll house furniture
Make wooden pens
Engrave guns and gunstocks
Sell survival supplies
Visit the library and look through all their craft books

Charlie Two Tracks
12-24-2011, 09:53 AM
I wished I knew more about ebay. A buddy of mine in town goes to yard sales and auctions. He buys stuff to sell on ebay and makes out pretty darn good. He says that you have to know what people are looking for and be able to take great pictures of the stuff. He said that the pictures are the main thing. We know what ebay gets for "vintage" casting and loading equipment. The better it looks in the picture, the more bids. Some guy in the back of his plumbing shop cleaned up an area and is selling "vintage" molds and lead pots for more than the price of new......

WILCO
12-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I can't believe this was posted on a public forum!

Nothing surprises me anymore. Just one more thing wrong with the system. Best of luck to you Sam.

jcwit
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Any good flea markets near where you live?

Muddy Creek Sam
12-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Any good flea markets near where you live?

About 50 to 60 miles, I live in the Boonies.

arjacobson
12-24-2011, 03:29 PM

That said I am setting up a hobby shop. BUT, I understand it will cost money not make money.

Plus one

jcwit
12-24-2011, 04:27 PM
About 50 to 60 miles, I live in the Boonies.

Thats a thought then, fuel expense for a van would run 20/30 bucks. Have no idea what rent would cost, but shouldn't be too much. And if you could do crafts you're even further ahead, just find something that sells good.

I've got close friends that did this for 20 years before they retired.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Here is my two cents worth. Many decades ago I was talking to a friend and fellow shooter about buying a lathe. After linstening for a while he said"you know there is something to knowing how to use it when you get it". Many years later I learned what he meant. I was able to buy a lathe and mill at the same time. While I did manage to learn to cut threads and do some work , I was never good enough to take in work for others. I just never had enough fire in the belly to really learn the trade of a machinest. Now contrast that with Buckshot. I sold him a lathe several years ago and I am amazed at the work he turns out. I call him on occasion as late as 10 pm and he is still in the shop. I don't try to call him before 10 AM however. I would like to add that I was lucky enough to obtain a large amount of tooling and accessories for next to nothing. Like for free. I had everything you coud ask for in the way of tooling. If memory serves I had over twenty chucks plus collet closer, turret, toolpost grinder, surface grinder etc . Every cutting tool for mill or lathe but not the urge. I began to feel guilty for not using the equipment. When we sold our home I had no choice. It had to go. I went to see the man who bought all of it and I was sorry to see he has pilled it all in a very dark trailer. I doubt it will ever be used again. Sam, it takes a great deal of dedication and study to become even a novice machinest. I think you might be better served by selling the equipment as mentions before. I hope you take this advice in the spirit it is given. Good luck with what ever you decide...

tinsnips
12-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Sam to become a good machiinist take a very long time ,that being said i know a lady who comes to all the gun shows that makes a living by selling home made soap. Her husband is also disabled but still able to help her produce the soap. I will travel to gun shows just to buy her soap.She lives in Mile City Montana an sells her soap in a store downtown also it could be something you could learn quickly an hopefully make money. I wish you all the good luck in the world what every you can figure out.

Jim
12-25-2011, 09:45 PM
I think Sam is tryin' to stay under the radar.

NSP64
12-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Sam, it all depends on what your able to do. Being disabled isnt being dead. pm me if you want to tell me what you cant do, and maybe figure out what you can do.

I dont work for the man or obamma.

garym1a2
12-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Start with the lathe. It easy to learn and you can watch youtube videos on it plus internetresearch. If you cannot learn to use one than sell allthe equipment. I made guide rods forsome glocks and an Xmd on the lathe at work. These cost about 20$ if you buy them. The rod on my Rsbs was bent and I made a new one from a bolt. I made my glock guide rod froma 1/4-20, 4 inch stainless bolt. It cost about $1 in materials.
Better yet, hang out on the AR15 forum.those guys always over pay.

Blacksmith
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Sam,

I just thought of one I used to do which isn't too hard and the equipment is reasonable. Since you have a boat I assume you are near water so make custom made fishing rods. I took a class years ago but could have learned it from a book. A custom rod is way better than one out of the rack and custom thread work can be like engraving on a gun.

Here is the premier organization, the guy that taught me was a mover and shaker in this:
http://www.rodguild.com/

Here are a couple of suppliers I have used in the past:
http://www.mudhole.com/?gclid=CJyDzKDloq0CFQXd4Aodu30OoA

http://www.flexcoat.com/

http://www.stcroixrods.com/category/rod_building

Just Google Rod Building for lots more.

Balcksmith

ErikO
12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I taught myself to use a metal lathe and vertical milling machine. Try finding some machine shop textbooks, at used bood store, local library etc. Get some scrap stock to practice on go for it. Just be safe. Machine shop course at a community college is another route, if you can find one. They are getting few an far behind is some parts of the country. All the ones I inquired about were teaching CNC only and practically required a degree in computer.
Good luck. and Merry Christmas

+1

Also, check into oxy-acetaline welding. Plenty of projects can be made with a gas torch, clean 55-gallon drums and angle iron. I have a buddy here in St Louis that supplements his fixed income with BBQ fabrication and it doesn't impact his VA benefits one bit. He's a secondary-exposure Agent Orange survivor and one heck of a torchman.

Wayne Smith
12-27-2011, 07:31 PM
My brother is in Sacramento and volunteers in a gun store for store credit. Has for years and has hundreds of guns in his home. His "retirement plan" - most of them are unfired in the box.

Bullet Caster
12-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Muddy Creek Sam,
I am a disabled veteran also and don't have a job at the present. Got fired from my job at Kodak at Dollywood in June of this year. While I'm not into doing any kind of machinest work, I do make crafts for Christmas. I also macreme and sew. I hand paint wooden spoons to look like Santa Claus. I make them individually for sale and I also incorporate the Santa spoons into a macreme Santa spoon chimes thingy that I use red and green wool (knitting wool) to hang the spoons on. I've only sold a few of the spoons and hopefully this time next year I'll have some products made up to sell. That's one way to supplement my non-existent income. I also cast bullets (boolits) for sale to anyone who might want them. I haven't done any reloads for anyone but I'm sure that will change in the near future. I've got several friends with guns that have approached me to make reloads for them. I might try this with a disclaimer about reloads. I'm also in the process of upping my compensation from the VA. I've already had the interview and now am waiting on the VA's decision of my case.
I wish you all the luck as you prepare to do something different in life to supplement your income. I wish I had the means to help you out but it seems that we're in the same boat without any paddles.
I've also put out the word to several CAS groups that I do gunsmithing on 3 screw frame colts or clones as I've learned how to do an action job on the trigger and hammer and polish all the parts coming into contact with each other. I've also mentioned to the clubs that I can reload .45 colt or make boolits to sell to the members that do reload. I try to keep several irons in the fire so to speak. Good luck with all your endeavores and I hope the machinest thing works out for you.
BC

DLCTEX
12-27-2011, 09:58 PM
We have a local fellow who makes some extra income by sighting in guns, cleaning them, and doing minor repairs. He has also worked up loads for some who reload, but don't have/ want to spend, time to do it. He gets business by word of mouth, not advertising and works on a cash basis.

Jamesconn
12-27-2011, 11:44 PM
There's the soap and my last job well technically I didn't work there and was paid in cash

Jamesconn
12-28-2011, 12:35 AM
You can make tools or ingot molds bullet traps or the swaying press they have a sticky on how to build it I'd buy one.

You can make brass catchers too just go shooting reloading and casting and think of things that make it easier and/or efficient and try and do a group buy and if they are popular sell them everywhere

I could use a motor powered sifter for range lead

I don't know what to say about the machines but learn what you can if you can't use them or can't learn how to use them fast enought to stay afloat sell em

Read up on the Internet about selling on eBay and starting a website I would already be doing that but I'm handicapped because of my youth I can't do anything financially lucrative

jcwit
12-28-2011, 10:23 AM
E-Bay sales are all reported.

Moonman
12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Isn't selling RELOADs, or giving them away technically illegal without a FFL?

jcwit
12-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Selling is and huge problems can result.

colt 357
12-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Have you considered youtube for some machine tool tutorials?

second youtube i learn alot form videos there. look for some machining forums like this one. forum are always a great help to me

ErikO
12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
second youtube i learn alot form videos there. look for some machining forums like this one. forum are always a great help to me

Yep, once you seperate the wheat from the chaff there's great info there. For example, when you work on an AR lower, more tape is better than less tape and covering the masking tape with electrical tape is better still. I learned that by watching two different folks do a lower build.

dnotarianni
12-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Form a corporation with wife as primary stockholder. Corporation colllects all the money and pays all the bills. No damage to pension

Dave

cajun shooter
01-01-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm a little taken back by some of the answers that Sam received.
Sam and I have never met FTF but are as most of us,we are CYBER FRIENDS.
Here is a vet that is more than likely at the end of his rope or he would not have chosen to open up on any open forum. Even one where he thinks everyone is a friend. I'm sure he knows different after receiving some of these postings.
I'm almost in his shoes and it hurts bad and you get to where every day you wake up you think What in The Hell is going to take Place Today?
Sam chose to enlist to help his country and now that he has a disability and opens up his heart, he receives scorn and smart ... answers. What a shame!!!
My wife tells me all the time that I have such a good attitude that many people think I'm a healthy person and have no problems and therefore need no help. I was raised to make lemonade when handed lemons.
A lot of people are quick to judge others because they have never been where he is at. There was a old rock and roll song by Joe South that says "WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES " If you can't see that Sam is reaching out for support then don't say words that hurt instead of help.
Do you feel better and are now walking around with your chest out?

Let me say this to you. First I joined the Army in 1965 because of Vietnam and it was my chance to do the same as my father and all my uncles did during WW11 and that was to serve my country. I was hurt and given a Medical discharge and told that my back may keep me from doing jobs I wanted. I had a friend who called a doctor and had him not notice the huge scar that ran from my waist to my upper shoulder area so that I could again help others and become a Police Officer. I worked for 15 years and had two partners killed while on duty. 7 others were killed that were my friends. I became divorced because of pent up troubles.
In 1990 I became so distressed that I had severe medical problems including a insulin dependant case of Diabetes . My back started to give me problems and I had to have a pain pump installed that fed Dilaudid to my 4 disc that no longer had tissue. L2,L3,L4and 5. To add insult to injury I had a problem breathing and found that maybe from one of my accidents or fights while a cop my nerve that controls my right side diaphragm was bad. What that means is that my right lung is no longer working and I'm breathing on my left lung only. I can't walk very far without stopping.
If you see me park in a disabled parking space you would say why is that man doing that? Every step I take has pain with it.
Now for the reason of my story. The VA said they can't find any record of my service and as far as they are concerned I never served. My wife while I was a cop took my life savings and even over 100,000 in cash and assets.I have to leave a lot out but she was given my entire retirement fund after I worked 15 years for it. She worked for the Judge given the case. Because of my service as a cop I did not pay into social Security enough funds to receive the maximum amount and so I now receive $921 a month to live on.
The point of this is to let you know that because a person ask for help does not mean he is lazy, trying to cheat the government, or make something he does not need.
How many of you have ever been to Sam's home? Have you sat down with him while he is paying out bills? Do you know what bills or cost he has each month? Do you know that his wife has huge medical bills?
How many that posted a negative have ever lied about income on their income taxes? Care to take a polygraph?
I'm now cooling down and will step off the box. Later David

kbstenberg
01-01-2012, 10:33 AM
1+ with CS here. MS is a friend in need an asking for assistance "ideas" only.
When a friend is in need of help you support them. Not add to there dilemma. Enough said.
Kevin

DLCTEX
01-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks David for speaking out. I have a young man working for me that lost enough hearing in Army to receive a medical discharge who is now told that 18 months service does not entitle him to VA care. Is this correct, or is he getting the green shaft?

jcwit
01-01-2012, 10:56 AM
I do not know Sam at all, but understand his predicament somewhat I believe.

I'm 100% disabled with a VA pension. On pain meds from injuries received, on insulin, on heart meds for heart troubles, on breathing meds, ect., ect.

I thought I gave Sam some good advice.

Muddy Creek Sam
01-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks CS,

I have taken offense at no one's comments. I have had some great suggestions on the forum and through PM. Haven't gotten started with anything yet. But will have to start something soon, I will be getting some lead shortly, but the company is changing the rules rapidly and no one is certain of anything.

waynem34
01-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey Sam If you have a green thumb maybe you could grow an indoor garden of rare hard to find items.Gardening is a bit hard though.You dont need to be master wood worker to make things.Just start small and you can get 1 of those project book from the hardware store for ideas.Mail box birdhouse doggy house.Router out peeps addys on a plack.Wish I could help more.Maybe things will look up.Praying for you here in Virginia

Ickisrulz
01-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm a little taken back by some of the answers that Sam received.
Sam and I have never met FTF but are as most of us,we are CYBER FRIENDS.
Here is a vet that is more than likely at the end of his rope or he would not have chosen to open up on any open forum. Even one where he thinks everyone is a friend. I'm sure he knows different after receiving some of these postings.
I'm almost in his shoes and it hurts bad and you get to where every day you wake up you think What in The Hell is going to take Place Today?
Sam chose to enlist to help his country and now that he has a disability and opens up his heart, he receives scorn and smart ... answers. What a shame!!!
My wife tells me all the time that I have such a good attitude that many people think I'm a healthy person and have no problems and therefore need no help. I was raised to make lemonade when handed lemons.
A lot of people are quick to judge others because they have never been where he is at. There was a old rock and roll song by Joe South that says "WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES " If you can't see that Sam is reaching out for support then don't say words that hurt instead of help.
Do you feel better and are now walking around with your chest out?

Let me say this to you. First I joined the Army in 1965 because of Vietnam and it was my chance to do the same as my father and all my uncles did during WW11 and that was to serve my country. I was hurt and given a Medical discharge and told that my back may keep me from doing jobs I wanted. I had a friend who called a doctor and had him not notice the huge scar that ran from my waist to my upper shoulder area so that I could again help others and become a Police Officer. I worked for 15 years and had two partners killed while on duty. 7 others were killed that were my friends. I became divorced because of pent up troubles.
In 1990 I became so distressed that I had severe medical problems including a insulin dependant case of Diabetes . My back started to give me problems and I had to have a pain pump installed that fed Dilaudid to my 4 disc that no longer had tissue. L2,L3,L4and 5. To add insult to injury I had a problem breathing and found that maybe from one of my accidents or fights while a cop my nerve that controls my right side diaphragm was bad. What that means is that my right lung is no longer working and I'm breathing on my left lung only. I can't walk very far without stopping.
If you see me park in a disabled parking space you would say why is that man doing that? Every step I take has pain with it.
Now for the reason of my story. The VA said they can't find any record of my service and as far as they are concerned I never served. My wife while I was a cop took my life savings and even over 100,000 in cash and assets.I have to leave a lot out but she was given my entire retirement fund after I worked 15 years for it. She worked for the Judge given the case. Because of my service as a cop I did not pay into social Security enough funds to receive the maximum amount and so I now receive $921 a month to live on.
The point of this is to let you know that because a person ask for help does not mean he is lazy, trying to cheat the government, or make something he does not need.
How many of you have ever been to Sam's home? Have you sat down with him while he is paying out bills? Do you know what bills or cost he has each month? Do you know that his wife has huge medical bills?
How many that posted a negative have ever lied about income on their income taxes? Care to take a polygraph?
I'm now cooling down and will step off the box. Later David

Are you referring to my post? I just posed a couple questions for Sam to consider since there are investigators out there looking at what people are doing vs. what they are "told they can do." A nosey neighbor makes a call or two...and you can get in big trouble. Smelting and selling lead seemed labor intensive to me.

I don't know Sam or his situation. I'm sure he's a fine man and has challenges as you say. Does this mean he can break the law regarding VA compensation and work restrictions (hypothetically speaking)? Of course I have no idea what limitations are in effect or what can be re-negotiated--but this might be the best place to start and that's what I suggested.

For the record...I never lied on my income or taxes...bring on the polygraph machine. GO AHEAD FLAME ME!!!

beanflip
01-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Just put the business/ company in your better halfs name.

arkypete
01-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Sam
Not knowing what part of S.C. you are in.....
If you are near the ocean or a boat repair place...
Did you know that the skegs on sail boats are filled with lead?
There's a huge chunk of lead at the drive way to a marina here in Virginia.
I've tried to figure out a way to get that lead home and cut up into usable ingots.

Jim

jcwit
01-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Just put the business/ company in your better halfs name.

Doesn't work that way.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-01-2012, 10:21 PM

THE "tools" ie machines, if old as he says are worth only their weight as scrap cast iron these days, unless it is something very desirable or rare. The tooling on the other hand, will bring many $$ sold off on ebone -if done properly.

Visit the Home Shop machinist website: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/
good folks & lots of help for newbie chip makers. there are others out there as well. Some of the really good sites like Practical Machinist do not cater very much to greenhorns, but if you just read through the stuff you can still learn.

If you got enough tooling to make the machines do basic things, it doesn't take long to get the hang of the basics. What is hard depending on what your disability is, it is a hobby that is hard on your back and feet. (lots of standing and stooping)

cajun shooter
01-02-2012, 07:15 PM
lckisrulz, You may not have done well in reading class as far as reading a few paragraphs and then being tested on it's content.
I don't recall pointing a finger at any one person. Second my income tax statement was given as a example on how or what people in general do lie about regardless of who they are. It was to advise all others that every one of us have done one thing or another in our life times that has either broken or bent the heck out of the rules. Those rules could be written, spoken or seen in person.
If you are with out sin Sir then I would like to give you a polygraph. Anyone who is so egotistical to say they have never lied or broken any rules is quite a nut.
I know of only one man who walked this earth that has that accomplishment and you are not him.
If you have nothing good to say about any person then it's best to say nothing at all. You can have your thoughts and feelings but there are times we should keep them to our selves.
I will be the first to say that while I was a cop I became dismayed at all the criminals that were set free or we could not arrest because the law gave them more rights than the people they committed crimes against.
I'm 100% behind Sam on anything he needs to do to help himself and his family. He answered his call from his country and his country should help.
The question is that
They would look at us and laugh as they walked from the court room.
I then bent some rules that put the game more in my favor and sent those thugs to prison. Did I break rules, heck yes I did but they went to prison instead of back on the street to prey on the innocent.
I did not do things that would be considered a serious crime but they would have went free if I had not moulded the rules a bit.
So I know I'm not 100% clean. Oh and I may have forgot to tell my mother and Dad that I drank, smoked cigarettes, and had sex before I came home at night.

Ickisrulz
01-02-2012, 08:13 PM
lckisrulz, You may not have done well in reading class as far as reading a few paragraphs and then being tested on it's content.
I don't recall pointing a finger at any one person. Second my income tax statement was given as a example on how or what people in general do lie about regardless of who they are. It was to advise all others that every one of us have done one thing or another in our life times that has either broken or bent the heck out of the rules. Those rules could be written, spoken or seen in person.
If you are with out sin Sir then I would like to give you a polygraph. Anyone who is so egotistical to say they have never lied or broken any rules is quite a nut.
I know of only one man who walked this earth that has that accomplishment and you are not him.
If you have nothing good to say about any person then it's best to say nothing at all. You can have your thoughts and feelings but there are times we should keep them to our selves.
I will be the first to say that while I was a cop I became dismayed at all the criminals that were set free or we could not arrest because the law gave them more rights than the people they committed crimes against.
I'm 100% behind Sam on anything he needs to do to help himself and his family. He answered his call from his country and his country should help.
The question is that
They would look at us and laugh as they walked from the court room.
I then bent some rules that put the game more in my favor and sent those thugs to prison. Did I break rules, heck yes I did but they went to prison instead of back on the street to prey on the innocent.
I did not do things that would be considered a serious crime but they would have went free if I had not moulded the rules a bit.
So I know I'm not 100% clean. Oh and I may have forgot to tell my mother and Dad that I drank, smoked cigarettes, and had sex before I came home at night.

I don't even know where to begin responding to you.

But it's nice to see you insulting me. Maybe you should read my post again as well as the other responses--I was the only one who was "negative" if you can call it that. It's good to hear of you breaking the law because you think it's best. I'm glad we had/have police officers out there willing to break the law for us...Jesus must be proud of you. Are you not aware that the New Testament tells Christians to obey the law of the land?

I answered your tax question because that is what you asked. If you meant something broader you should have written it that way. I am not perfect, but never cheated on taxes.

I stand by my post. I wish Sam the best. But suggest working within the law and VA policy.

waynem34
01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
can't we all just get along.LOL I guess its tit for tat.I agree with if dont have anything nice to say dont say anything.May keep ya from looking like ya got a bowl of boiled eggs on ya head.Lol

bowfin
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Sam,

Since you are set up to smelt lead, it might be worth your time to stay in that line. There are still tire places that have wheel weights, shooting ranges, and along the coast, boat keels, diver weights and whatever else might be made of lead that a fisherman or sailor would want to sink.

I imagine most of those wouldn't be as easy as the isotope vessels, but you might find something better as well. If you find some lead sheathed cable, the copper adds a second line of revenue.

garym1a2
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
MY advice if I was selling a highly disirable product at a low price with limit supply is to raise your price a little. from what I read your stuff is better than $1/lb lead.

Thanks CS,

I have taken offense at no one's comments. I have had some great suggestions on the forum and through PM. Haven't gotten started with anything yet. But will have to start something soon, I will be getting some lead shortly, but the company is changing the rules rapidly and no one is certain of anything.

Muddy Creek Sam
01-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Found this on evil-bay, It is for the exact model I have, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7551416143 also ordered a 2 1/2 hour DVD on running the Lathe and Mill.

jcwit
01-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Your local HS may give classes on machining metal, or local Ind Arts College.

Its how I started.

Muddy Creek Sam
01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
JCwit,

It is all CNC, does me no good.

jcwit
01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Well Duh, showed my age didn't I. I learned back in the days of dials.

Muddy Creek Sam
01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
I have located manuals for both machines now and have a DVD coming to show how to do set-ups and measurements, Should be able to go from there, I hope. The Lathe is a 10" X 3 1/2' South Bend made in the 50's as per Serial Number. No idea on the age of the vertical- horizontal mill, Manual should show me how to turn the head.

ErikO
01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
:drinks:

MBTcustom
01-04-2012, 04:51 PM
You can do it! You may not be able to make a comfortable living with your antiquated machinery, but you can certainly turn a small profit to supplement! Knowing how to cut metal is valuable, no matter what you use to do it! I have made my living my entire adult life with these tools both manual and CNC. There is still a big market for parts produced on manual machinery, I am a machinist by trade and I wouldn't hesitate to do what you are suggesting if I where in your position.
If you need any help at all, PM me! I will provide pictures of setups and cutting procedures as I can provide them, and I am willing to answer any question you have.
I just wish I was closer! I'd show you how to make those babies tap dance for you!
There are many many widgets that you can make with those pieces of equipment that would be valuable to people right here on castboolits, and there is no heavy lifting involved at all. The most taxing thing about shopwork, is that it requires standing in one spot for 20 minutes at a time occasionally.
I want to say again that if you have a lathe mill and a saw, you have a cash machine.....period! Don't throw in the towel, and dont give up!

Muddy Creek Sam
01-04-2012, 05:30 PM
You can do it! You may not be able to make a comfortable living with your antiquated machinery, but you can certainly turn a small profit to supplement! Knowing how to cut metal is valuable, no matter what you use to do it! I have made my living my entire adult life with these tools both manual and CNC. There is still a big market for parts produced on manual machinery, I am a machinist by trade and I wouldn't hesitate to do what you are suggesting if I where in your position.
If you need any help at all, PM me! I will provide pictures of setups and cutting procedures as I can provide them, and I am willing to answer any question you have.
I just wish I was closer! I'd show you how to make those babies tap dance for you!
There are many many widgets that you can make with those pieces of equipment that would be valuable to people right here on castboolits, and there is no heavy lifting involved at all. The most taxing thing about shopwork, is that it requires standing in one spot for 20 minutes at a time occasionally.
I want to say again that if you have a lathe mill and a saw, you have a cash machine.....period! Don't throw in the towel, and dont give up!

GoodSteel,

Thank you much, You sure you don't want to come hunt in SC? Have some extra room. If the Boat was fixed I would say come Fishing.

linotype
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Sam,

Good for you. Machining can be a lot of fun, and a great skill to learn.
Hope all goes well for you.

Muddy Creek Sam
01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Got to the Supplier today, Next month is the last time I can get any from them.

Sam :(

Russel Nash
01-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I would say if it is legal in your state of South Carolina, and you had the machinist equipment already, look into getting your suppressor manufacturer's license.

It is absolutely nuts what people pay for suppressors. I am talking $700 and up for a little tube of aluminum filled with some baffles ....the whole thing might be an inch and a half outside diameter and less than 9 inches long, and weigh less than 11 ounces.

Like somebody else said already, put the company in your wife's name....and as crappy as this sounds...divorce your wife but still live together if the VA is forcing you to report your/her income together.

plenty of videos on YouTube on how to make suppressors. one such poster has the name "noiselessclub".

just don't make suppressors without the license first.