PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Ingots

Lizard333
12-23-2011, 10:38 AM
I apologize if this has been hashed out before, but looking through several pages of search results netted a big fat goose egg. I would like to send out some lead ingots, Lyman 1lb molds, to member the cheapest way possible. Do you guys have any ideas?? ANY help is appreciated. Thanks!

zuke
12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
For you guy's in the State's,Flat rate box's are the way to go.

bbs70
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I've shipped quite a few ingots with flat rate boxes.
The boxes are free and the cost for shipping is reasonable.

Just remember to package them well or the P.O. just might lose some in transit.
I was told to package ingots like a bunch of monkeys were going to handle them, its worked so far.

mdi
12-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I'v recieved several orders of bullets and ingots (up to 50 lbs.) in the UPS Flat Rate boxes. If you do ship them through UPS, make sure nothing moves in the box. Wrap the ingots in paper or cardboard so there is no movement at all in the box, a tight fit, or the shipment won't arrive in tact. Been there, done that...

Echo
12-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I'v recieved several orders of bullets and ingots (up to 50 lbs.) in the UPS Flat Rate boxes. If you do ship them through UPS, make sure nothing moves in the box. Wrap the ingots in paper or cardboard so there is no movement at all in the box, a tight fit, or the shipment won't arrive in tact. Been there, done that...

Also a good idea to completely wrap the Flat rate box in vinyl tape. Makes it dang near indestructible. And a Medium Flat rate box will hold 50 pounds of lead, easily (limit is 70 pounds).

Bad Water Bill
12-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I fit about 10 ingots in a small flat rate box. 5 of them fit very nice in a large flat rate box. Each box was taped completely before fitting in the big one. Nothing moves.

If they tear open a corner of the big box NOTHING is going to leak out. [smilie=w:

The mailmen hate me as the boxes average over 60#.

DLCTEX
12-23-2011, 03:19 PM
I build a plywood box using glue and screws that just fits the large Priority box, then stuff it so that nothing moves. It would be good to wrap the bars in shrink wrap.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-23-2011, 04:07 PM
A member here traded me some parts for lead , he used a med flat rate box and some 1 by scrap lumber to make a box the 4 sides were 1 by and the top and bottom were 3/8 chip board screwed together

it arrived from it's half way across the country trip everything in very good order

inside the box each ingot was wrapped in news print with more taking up the empty space

this is the ideal way to ship lead

the wood box is a snug fit inside the med flat rate box only a single band of tape was necessary to keep it shut

MtGun44
12-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I've gotten the OSB boxes screwed together and filled tight with ingots many times, always
in good shape. Anything else seems really marginal at best, usually splits open and loses
some or all of the ingots. USPS is not real thrilled about these things, so don't be too shocked
if one splits open and they don't do much. Make it stout, it IS going to get dropped.

Bill

Lizard333
12-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys, as always the help is most appreciated!! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!

troy_mclure
12-24-2011, 12:30 AM
grab a couple tyvek express shipping envelopes. put the ingots in the envelopes and tape tightly. then put them in the frb.

the tyvek envelopes are neigh indestructible.

fredj338
12-24-2011, 12:51 AM
I fit about 10 ingots in a small flat rate box. 5 of them fit very nice in a large flat rate box. Each box was taped completely before fitting in the big one. Nothing moves.

If they tear open a corner of the big box NOTHING is going to leak out. [smilie=w:

The mailmen hate me as the boxes average over 60#.
This is how I go as well, but they'll fit fine in a medium FR box. The key is don't spare the tape inside or out. USPO workers hateheavy FR boxes & show little mercy.

EDK
12-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Idaho Sharpshooter sent me THREE flat rate boxes averaging 65 pounds of ingots awhile back....came on the same day! The mail lady and my old lady! said some bad words about us and our mother getting the boxes out of the mail car and onto the porch. The girls didn't treat the boxes any gentler than the mail handling gorillas in between here and Nampa Idaho.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

LUBEDUDE
12-24-2011, 02:58 AM
I wish all shippers of lead were like you guys.

I can't tell you how many times I have bought off of fleabay and the idiots just drop 60-65 pounds of loose lead into that wimpy flat rate box. By the time it reaches me, the box is destroyed, and delivered to me in one of those plastic crates and 8-10 ingots are missing.

Some guys have no common sense at all.

I call the shippper up to complain and then they try to tell me how great they packed it.

Totally amazing.