PDA

View Full Version : What size top punch for Lee TLC432-285-RF

Possum
02-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Tonight was a disaster at the sizer. Found out none of my punches fit the Lee TLC432-285-RF second round group buy (the one that is undersized). I was using the Lubrisizer to size them to .431. I know it is a tumble lube bullet, but thought it might be easy to set the check and size in the Saeco. I can use a Lyman top punch in this sizer due to a converter. Just need to know what the best fit would be.

Mind if I ask what others are using? My nice bullets now have a ring around the top and don't look very good.:roll:

Any suggestions are welcome at this time! :groner:

Dale53
02-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Use a flat punch on the RF nose. Problem solved...

Dale53

MT Gianni
02-28-2007, 09:34 AM
The easist way to get a flat punch for the LY/RCBS is to turn the flats off of a 1/4" bolt and use it. I don't remember the thread pitch in the Saeco but getting a screw or bolt and turning the flats off, squaring the face etc will give a punch that will fit any SWC or WC boollet from 30 cal. on up. Gianni

VTDW
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
The easist way to get a flat punch for the LY/RCBS is to turn the flats off of a 1/4" bolt and use it. I don't remember the thread pitch in the Saeco but getting a screw or bolt and turning the flats off, squaring the face etc will give a punch that will fit any SWC or WC boollet from 30 cal. on up. Gianni

I did the exact same thing for the .432 top punch in my 4500. I used a shouldered bolt so I wouldn't have threads to deal with using the allen screw to tighten the punch into place. Did the same thing for a Lee bullet seating die as I use the same boolit but used a 5/16 bolt and didn't even have to grind the head.

Dave

legend
02-28-2007, 02:21 PM
possum

in a pinch i have used hotglue in a nose punch ,i oil the bullet nose,spread more glue than i need on the nose punch,press the bullet down on glue till it cools,trim off the excess and go.....
hope it helps you.leigh

Ricochet
02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I've filled the cavity in a nose punch with silicone to make a flat one. Works.

Possum
02-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Excellent ideas. I will try them tonight. I knew I could count on the experience found here. Thanks

Possum
03-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Tried the hot glue method, and then the bolt idea. I had the wrong size bolts so that went out the window. However, while standing in the shop, I saw a rod of delrin sitting by the lathe. Ended up turning a top punch out of delrin and it worked perfectly. The nose of the bullet is perfect. Now I can concentrate on getting the sizing die punch to match now. One more trip to the hardware store should do it. Might be loading a few by tomorrow morning! Thanks for all the input, could not have done it without the help.