PDA

View Full Version : Cataract surgery is done

DLCTEX
12-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Had cataract removed and new lens put in on Tuesday. It was a piece of cake, really. Out patient surgery and now I see like I haven't been able to for more than 25 years. I can read a stop sign from 4 blocks away! I was not sure I would get the left eye done as it wasn't so bad, but now I want it done too. Thank God for the wonderful work they do now. If you need it, get it done!
edit:Just checked out sighting with scope and then with iron sights. Wonderful! I had gotten to where I was having a lot of trouble seeing even with a scope and glasses. Like turning back the clock a quarter century.

Mooseman
12-22-2011, 05:00 PM
You are lucky !
When they did my shooting eye they put in the wrong lens...+1.5 power too much.
I can no longer see peep sights, and I have to wear contacts and reading glasses to see up close. When they tried to fit me with glasses everything split into 2 images so I didnt know which Bear to shoot !
The Doctor said he could change it BUT it was risky and could damage my eye permanently so I live with it...

Rich

BOOM BOOM
12-22-2011, 05:44 PM
HI,
HAD BOTH OF MY EYES DONE SEVERAL YEARS AGO.
Could not see a target box at 80yrs. So as it was interfering with hunting & shooting ,so it had to be done. It worked out well.

gray wolf
12-22-2011, 07:14 PM
OK--good for you,
Now here is the test, how many fingers do I have up ?

I I I I ------------ 4, right answer, you pass.

Stay well and have a good season.
Sam

twotoescharlie
12-22-2011, 07:31 PM
would they do it to person who has only one good eye (myself), I was told by a surgeon that they would not do lasik on a person with vision in only one eye. and was wondering as I have cataracs on both eyes.

TTC

Kraschenbirn
12-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Was just one day behind you...only this was my second time around. Had the left (worst by far!) done on 11/30 and, Wednesday, surgery on the right eye finished the job. I'll still have some issues due to my astigmatism and history of AMD but, during a post-op check this morning, both eyes tested better without any correction than with they did with glasses prior to the surgery.

Bill

DLCTEX
12-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Twotoescharlie: It wouldn't cost much to find out. I personally think they would, as it has become so common and safe a procedure. What good does it do to have one eye if you can't see anyway? Of course you aren't that bad yet and even a slight risk is to be taken seriously.

bbs70
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Wife had cataract.
About 15 years ago she had surgery and had the lens in her eyes replaced, one at a time of course.
She still sees better then she ever had before the surgery.
She is very happy.

Crawdaddy
12-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Congratulations. Glad you can see and are doing ok.

firefly1957
12-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Good news thank you for sharing it with us.

hiram1
12-23-2011, 08:08 PM
im happy for you i hope it stays. God bless you. now take a kid shooting

Throckmorton
12-26-2011, 12:44 AM
twotoescharlie: what we're talking ab out here is not Lasik,but an optical implant to replace the eye's lens and eliminate the cataract.At least I am. I had it done a 6 months ago,one eye at a time ,and can see better than i've seen in prolly 40+ years. don't know ur age,but medicarre covers this type of surgery,my out of pocket was a few hundred bucks.
before this I coould not read the alarm clock if it was more than 2 feet away,and it has big letters.
50 yard plinking is a BREEZE now,and hundred yard is a whole lot better too !

geargnasher
12-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Good times! As one who enjoyed perfect vison until about 30 yrs old and have been battling against Pars Planitis to even pass a driving test ever since, I can appreciate very much the miracles of modern science and a GOOD opthamologist, without all that I would be just about blind. It is flat amazing what they can do now and how un-invasive some of the eye surgeries have become. My wife had Lasik+ done a couple of years ago to correct 20-200 to 20-15 with no complications, it doesn't get much better than that. Enjoy your restored vision!

Gear

twotoescharlie
12-26-2011, 11:17 AM
what I was wondering about was if they will not do lasik on a person with only one good eye,
would the same apply to catarac surgery. I had a friend who had catarac surgery and had a hole burnt into his eyeball with the laser that was not repairable. I had rather have poor vision with the catarac than no vision at all.

TTC

DLCTEX
01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I got the other eye done and had a checkup yesterday. Wonderful results. Saw a hill on the horizon driving to town the other day and wondered why I hadn't noticed it before. Then I realized it's because I couldn't see it before. Love it, love it. I saw through my scope well enough to get my 8 pt. buck on the last day, last hour, and probably last minute of the season on Jan. 1.

Pigslayer
01-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Had cataract removed and new lens put in on Tuesday. It was a piece of cake, really. Out patient surgery and now I see like I haven't been able to for more than 25 years. I can read a stop sign from 4 blocks away! I was not sure I would get the left eye done as it wasn't so bad, but now I want it done too. Thank God for the wonderful work they do now. If you need it, get it done!
edit:Just checked out sighting with scope and then with iron sights. Wonderful! I had gotten to where I was having a lot of trouble seeing even with a scope and glasses. Like turning back the clock a quarter century.

I'll be going in at the end of this month for my right eye then the first of Feb. for my left eye. Can't wait!!! Congrats!!!

dale2242
01-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I found out this week that I have cataracts in both eyes that need surgury.
I am making an appiontment today to get things started.....dale

Throckmorton
01-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Dale,if u were a lot closer to the columbia I'd hve u check with my Doctor up here in Vancouver,Wa.He was my doc from start to finish,kind of a 2 man shop I guess u'd say.
Medicare covers a lot of the cost of the procedure, I think I was a few hundred bucks out of pocket.Good luck,and you'll love the new 'look'.

mroliver77
01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
twotoescharlie and all,
I have one eye. I lost the other as a kid. I have the start of a cataract that is bothersome but I still shoot without prescription glasses. I need good lighting to see well though.

Eye Doc told me unless it is a question of being impaired to the point of not being able to function it would be crazy to risk any type of invasive procedure on my only eye. He said one could always find a Doc willing but he would never risk it. He had strong feelings about any Doc that would go there. He said while there are very few problems, they do happen. If it happened to me I would be up chit crick without a paddle!

These really are the good ole days in many ways!
Jay

10x
01-22-2012, 03:22 PM
my father in law is85 and had his cataracts fixed. His first mistake was looking at my mother in law and mentioning how old she looked...

DLCTEX
01-22-2012, 03:39 PM
How long have they been married? Well, maybe CRS kicked in and caused the slip. Made no points for that one LOL.

10x
01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
How long have they been married? Well, maybe CRS kicked in and caused the slip. Made no points for that one LOL.

That was after 56 years of marriage. My M. In Law was 38 when I met her and she could have fit in to any chorus line in any movie and been the best looking one there.

DLCTEX
01-22-2012, 06:40 PM
I'll bet he's still handsome.:roll: I go for a last checkup tomorrow. Everything is great! They will dilate both eyes, so wife will have to go to drive home.

dale2242
01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Catarac surgury tomorrow on my left eye.....dale

Pigslayer
01-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Had cataract surgery on my right eye this AM. Dr. said that it went perfectly. I'll get the left eye done shortly.

10x
01-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Best wishes to you.
IF you get the usual results you will have vision like Steve Austin. (6 million dollar man).

If i were to do it again I would get the same lens installed as the xray glasses they used to sell in the back of comic books.

DLCTEX
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Is X Ray an option? Darn. It would probably cause heart palpitations at my age, though. I'm home waiting for the dilation to wear off so I can get to work. Vision is 20-15 and only need 1.75 for close now. Love the way spell check says spelling of dilation is wrong, but it's the same as theirs.??

Pigslayer
01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
my father in law is85 and had his cataracts fixed. His first mistake was looking at my mother in law and mentioning how old she looked...

Oh my God!!

10x
01-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Oh my God!!

No one has had the courage to relate his utterance to her...

cbrick
01-23-2012, 07:30 PM

That's great Dale. The problems that can happen are so rare these days and the results so incredible it really is a life changing event. You'll very soon see for yourself (pun intended) that words can't describe the improvement/change. One of the first things you'll realize is how poorly you were seeing and didn't even realize it.

I put it off blaming diabetes until I was legally blind, huge mistake. I had both eyes done (one at a time) a few years ago and it was the single best thing I have ever done.

Check in here and let us know ya gotter done.

Rick

Pigslayer
01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Right eye still clouded after surgery yesterday but clearing up. Have a contact lense in my left eye. Feels weird not to be wearing glasses after wearing them for 49 years.

10x
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Right eye still clouded after surgery yesterday but clearing up. Have a contact lense in my left eye. Feels weird not to be wearing glasses after wearing them for 49 years.

Get yourself a set of safety glasses and wear them when you are doing anything where stuff may hit your eyes.

Pigslayer
01-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Get yourself a set of safety glasses and wear them when you are doing anything where stuff may hit your eyes.

10X,
You 're right on about the safety glasses! I've always been used to my regular glasses protecting my eyes and they have. I have safety glasses in my service truck. I bought a pair of drug store reading glasses which work amazingly well for $9.95. My old bifocal power was +2.25. Now I only need +1.50.:mrgreen:

mold maker
01-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I had given up driving after dusk or toward the sun. I couldn't see to facet gemstones or read.
I had worn glasses for 65 years.
Had both done and can see better than ever in my life. Right eye is 20-15 and with glasses the left is 20-20.
If ya need it, get-er-done. I can now recognize my Grandchildren from across the gym. You will see a whole new world that you were missing.

32ideal
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Pigslayer I had cataract surgery the afternoon of the 23rd and wondered if your vision has cleared up or is still slightly cloudy two days after surgery, mine is still cloudy.

Maybe i'm just in to much of a hurry to see clearly again.

Mike

Pigslayer
01-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Pigslayer I had cataract surgery the afternoon of the 23rd and wondered if your vision has cleared up or is still slightly cloudy two days after surgery, mine is still cloudy.

Maybe i'm just in to much of a hurry to see clearly again.

Mike

Mine is still cloudy. I'm in a hurry too.

32ideal
01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
"Mine is still cloudy. I'm in a hurry too."

Thank you for the response Pigslayer, I have a Buddy that had both eyes done last year and he thought he was seeing clear the day after, guess everyone is different.

Best of luck and hope your vision ends up 20/20 or better, I'd be glad to just get rid of the blurriness, so I can see the sights/cross hairs and target or Deer clearly again.

PS: anyone else have any input on time frame for your vision clearing up?

Mooseman
01-25-2012, 04:06 PM
They told me 5 days...and when it stayed blurry, they tested me and gave me the bad news of putting in the wrong lens power. The WAG they made missed by that much. Even with the Best Zeiss equipment, they use an average of most peoples eyes. I hope this is not the case for you...I am a 1%'er...I guess.
Rich

32ideal
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Thank's Mooseman, hope the H**L that's not what is wrong with mine!
Mike

dale2242
01-26-2012, 08:01 AM
The left eye was a success. 20/20 vision yesterday at my first postop.
No cloudyness here. I can`t wait to get the right one done...dale

32ideal
01-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks and congratulations dale2242, mine was 20/20 the day after surgery but blurry, today it is clearing a little more than yesterday so I have some hope it will keep getting better.

bydand
01-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Best thing about the surgery is I can drive at night and oncoming headlights no longer look like firework starbursts

cbrick
01-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Dale,

Told ya so . . . Told ya so [smilie=l:

Rick

Kraschenbirn
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Didn't really notice any blurring after my first surgery (left eye) but, between the cataracts and macular degeneration ("wet" AMD), that eye was only correctable to 20/50 going in. Three weeks later, had the right eye done and did notice a bit of bluriness but it went away after a couple of days. Still need glasses due to my astigmatism but I'm now testing 20/25 in my left eye and 20/20+ in the right. Taking the Krag and my M38 Turk to the range tomorrow for a "first time out" with my new glasses.

Bill

Pigslayer
01-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks and congratulations dale2242, mine was 20/20 the day after surgery but blurry, today it is clearing a little more than yesterday so I have some hope it will keep getting better.
Right eye is cleared up after 3 days. Going for my left eye on 2/6. Will still need glasses due to astigmatism. Have a contact in my left eye temporarily. I see in technicolor now. I was acutely nearsighted.

Pigslayer
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Went for post-op exam on my right eye this AM. Vision is 20/15! Will go 2/6 @ 8:00AM for surgery on my left eye. Can't wait til it's done!

crabo
02-01-2012, 01:22 AM
I ended up with 20/20 in both eyes. I cannot read without glasses. I had a pair of glasses made with clear lense on top and graduated readers on the bottom. That way everything is in focus, no matter what the difference.

I wore glasses since the 7th grade, so continuing to wear them is no big deal. I also felt naked not having any glass in front of my eyes when I worked with tools.

Pigslayer
02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
I ended up with 20/20 in both eyes. I cannot read without glasses. I had a pair of glasses made with clear lense on top and graduated readers on the bottom. That way everything is in focus, no matter what the difference.

I wore glasses since the 7th grade, so continuing to wear them is no big deal. I also felt naked not having any glass in front of my eyes when I worked with tools.

I'm going to do exactly as you have. I'm not big on contacts. I find them uncomfortable & irritating. I'm wearing one in my left eye now. I won't need it anymore after monday. I feel exactly as you do about feeling naked without glasses. I always counted on them to protect my eyes, which they did.

crabo
02-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I teach autobody in a high school, and I couldn't make reading glasses work. I would get focused at reading distance, but move to 36 inches and it was out of focus. I got the no line bifocal, and everything is in focus from my to nose to way out there.

DLCTEX
02-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I am having to break the habit of putting my glasses on to focus on anything. I am still automatically pulling them out of my pocket when I need to focus, then taking them off again.

Pigslayer
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm done finally. Left eye done about 2 hrs ago. Went real smooth. The Dr. & entire staff were just great. Now to do all the drops as required. I'm glad that I have insurance for those drops 'cause they could be expensive! Whew! My total out of pocket for everything for both eyes including drops & co-pays was $440.00. I can't gripe I guess.

Pigslayer
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
My left eye has cleared up and is razor sharp w/no astigmatism. I got brave and took my flintlocks off the rack to check whether the primitive sights would be clear . . . they were! I did have to adjust the eyepieces on all of my scoped rifles just a little. Pulled out my Ruger Long Colt & that's where my progessive lenses will come in . . . just a little fuzzy. I'm a happy camper!!

10x
02-08-2012, 08:16 PM
My left eye has cleared up and is razor sharp w/no astigmatism. I got brave and took my flintlocks off the rack to check whether the primitive sights would be clear . . . they were! I did have to adjust the eyepieces on all of my scoped rifles just a little. Pulled out my Ruger Long Colt & that's where my progessive lenses will come in . . . just a little fuzzy. I'm a happy camper!!

A right miracle of modern medicine you are!