PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help

leadedguy
12-22-2011, 12:25 AM
relatively new to the love of casting i have cast probably 2000 45 acp rounds with lee tumble lube mold recently used tunble lube 40 s&w 38/357 now aquired 44 mag pistol what do you guys recomend for mold and lube figure I'll just bath lube :cbpour:

timtonya
12-22-2011, 02:02 AM
I use tumble lube. You can also try the dip method using a crock pot.

lead chucker
12-22-2011, 03:21 AM
You are only getting started this is adictive it wont be long you will be making your own lube then your own gaschecks, heat treating bullets its endless. I like the lee 310 gr its cheap and works in my 44 red hawk and my rifles. I like the felix lube I made some and it works good. I also like the lymn 44 devastator hp it shoots well in both rifle and pistol.

ku4hx
12-22-2011, 07:21 AM
the problem with casting and reloading is there is so much quality gear out there and everybody has their favorites for various reasons i started casting with lyman gear but in later years moved more to the lee stuff because it was cheaper and i tend to take care of even the cheap stuff so it lasts a long time

Lizard333
12-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Do you want to plink or hunt. Enjoy shooting that beast, or be lucky to get a hundred rounds through it in one sitting. Lee has a 215 SWC that is a great choice for plinking. It doesn't eat up your lead as quick. Then of course there is the Lyman 429244, a very good mid range boolit that you can hunt with. I would get this one with GC, as you have the option of either using the gas check or not. The 310 is a good choice as well.

More info would be nice
Who makes your pistol?
Purpose of the round your wanting to load?

As far as lube is concerned, if you don't want to make your own, I don't, look to one of our sponsors, White Label Lube. You Cannot go wrong with anything they offer. I use a lube sizer so I am currently using the Carnuba Red on my 44's.

Good Luck!!