PDA

View Full Version : Melting Alox lubed bullets

popper
12-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Is there a problem with remelting bullets lubed with alox 50/50/10? I understand that hard lubed bullets can be melted without a problem.

Reload3006
12-21-2011, 03:57 PM
it will be fine just do it outside as it will smoke to beat the band

williamwaco
12-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Actually, I used to save bullets lubed with beeswax/alox specifically for the purpose of fluxing. The theory was that dropping a lubed bullet in the melt carried the wax to the bottom of the pot.

It did work and it fluxed very effectively, I would not venture an opinion on whether it was superior.

I would say you should remelt them while or immediately before fluxing - to cut down on the smoke and stink.

popper
12-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks, I have ~400 115 9mm to melt and try my hand at casting .40 SW. I guess the easiest way to get into this is to get a LEE TL mould.

Jim
12-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Do it all the time. And just like Reload and William said, it will smoke and stink like there ain't no tomorrah!

geargnasher
12-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Black goo will form on the sides of the pot, but it burns off eventually.

The only problems I have experienced with remelting lubed boolits is that the lube can be carried to the bottom and trapped UNDER the melt, where it will form ash deposits that migrate to bottom-pour spouts and cause ash inclusions in the boolits. Happened every time I dumped a bunch in, seems you have to empty the pot to get it all out. Now, if I'm remelting them, I do it a spoonfull at at time and hold them up near the top until the lube melts off, then let them drop. That or wait until next smelting session and do them all at once.

Gear

Sonnypie
12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
I've done it....
But I didn't like it.

Still, it is preferable to getting the lead out of range scrap.
(Is that a bullet? Or cat poo?)

It's the easiest way I know of to re-size bullits.

MtGun44
12-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Depends on your definition of 'problem'. Smoke pretty good, stink pretty bad and
goop up the pot a bit. Done outside, not much of an issue. Done in the basement,
the wife will NOT be pleased.

This has been verified by actual testing. :-)

Bill

evan price
12-22-2011, 04:21 AM
See if someone will trade you for the already cast 9mm bullets.

parson48
12-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I've done it and it can make a mess! Found that sawdust helps to clean it up pretty well.

ku4hx
12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
I've always used the few rejected lubed boolits I might have as a way to both recast them and flux the melt at the same time. Smokes a bit but that's the only down side ... if that's a down side at all.

Lizard333
12-22-2011, 10:19 AM
As soon as it starts to smoke light it. The flame will reduce the smoke substantionally. Much better..

popper
12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Sure does mess the pot up on top. First time running the lee 4-20 pot, worked good. Have to get the rasp out and make some sawdust. Now to find a .40 mould for it. This may be fun.

390ish
12-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Just don't inhale.

Mk42gunner
12-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Is there a problem with remelting bullets lubed with alox 50/50/10? I understand that hard lubed bullets can be melted without a problem.

Black goo will form on the sides of the pot, but it burns off eventually. ...

That or wait until next smelting session and do them all at once.

Gear

I've done it....
But I didn't like it...

A few years ago I bought 95 pounds of "lead" from a scrapyard. about fifty pounds of it was in mini ingot form, heavily covered in LLA. Unfortunately not in any calibers I needed, so I filled my smelting pot and watched this nasty black goo form at the top. It took a looong time to get it reduced/burnt/fluxed away, along with a nasty odor.

After that I decided that I wouldn't be dropping any LLA lubed boolits in my electric casting pot in the house.

Robert

Inkman
12-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Depends on your definition of 'problem'. Smoke pretty good, stink pretty bad and
goop up the pot a bit. Done outside, not much of an issue. Done in the basement,
the wife will NOT be pleased.

This has been verified by actual testing. :-)

Bill

^^ :lol:

Al

45-70 Chevroner
12-24-2011, 03:16 PM
They will mess up a bottom pour pot but it can be cleaned out. I don't melt a big batch of lubed boolits in my bottom pour pots any more. It is best to remelt them in a cast iron pot or a pot of some sort and just make ingots out of them.

GP100man
12-25-2011, 10:48 AM
put em in the smelter & stay upwind !!!