PDA

View Full Version : barrel liner

bigted
12-21-2011, 01:51 PM
when installing a liner in a barrel i have a couple questions...does the liner show on the muzzle? is this liner installed permanantly or are they removeable?

wouldnt mind doing a liner in a couple barrels but dont want them to be removable and definetly dont want to see evidence of them in the muzzle of the barrel.

as for accuracy it seems like the liner should be in persistant contact with the lined barrel and not be able to shift or swell in any fasion so as to keep the same point of impact or do i not see the whole picture.

thanks.
Ted

Mk42gunner
12-21-2011, 03:53 PM
In theory, a liner can be put in so it doesn't show by drilling the barrel only from the breech end. In practice, I don't know how much this would increase the difficulty.

Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books have a lot of information on relining barrels. Although a lot of it is from when liners were commonly sweated in place, now from what I understand Loctite is much easier to use. John Taylor has written a lot of informatin here about lining barrels.

Robert.

nanuk
12-21-2011, 07:02 PM
bigted

I remember reading a thread with pics of exactly what you want.

if you don't get that person to show up, I'll try to find the thread and post the link

bigted
12-22-2011, 08:41 AM
thanks...just a wondering about a specific barrel im toying with...i have time so will wait for more info. would apreciate the link nanuk if he doesnt sho for awhile...again thanks

Marvin S
12-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Liner may or may not show depending on who does it. The muzzle is slightly peened to shrink the hole dia and make the seam a tight fit and carefully blended to match. The last one I had done by my local guy was done this way and it looks good. Unfortunately he died in an accident a couple months ago. I have a rifle now that I sent to John Taylor for a liner job. He comes highly recommended for this type of work.

Lines are pretty much a permanent one piece installation, requiring drilling out or alot of even heat to remove.

Just google Taylor Machine you will find him, or do a search on this forum.

RwBeV
12-27-2011, 06:53 AM
There a lots of ways to make a liner not show, I have coned the muzzle and then press fit a tapered bushing but after its blued you could still see the liner. Now I counter bore the muzzle and breach and tig weld the liner in after its glued in. The secret is to only weld half at a time so you don't trap gas from the burning Loctite and get bubbles in your weld. Of course this will only work if your going to refinish the barrel as the heat will discolor it. Liners are usually installed permanent I use 271 Loctite it gives you time to get the liner where you want it. The old way was to solder the liners in but its a real pain you have to keep working the liner back and forth till you get solder completely through the barrel the whole time you have to keep the thing hot enough for the solder to flow it used to take 2 of us to do it that way. You can also use Acraglass or other good epoxies.

Bob

KCSO
12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
You can peen the muzzle OR you can ream the hole to fit exactly and with a good blue job the liner will not show. The liners are removable IF you want to drill it out but that's about it.

Tokarev
01-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Oh, great topic! I was looking for a thread where lining experts would gather, to ask many questions about lining for a long time.

Maybe I'll just re-post a question that I've already asked on another forum and gotten some info, but far from complete.

Being not familiar with installing liners into a shotgun, I am seeking advise from the experts.

I own a lower-end BP sxs shotgun with damascus barrels that was made pre 1896. If I could have permanent liners installed, that would do the trick: get me an antique class firearm, shootable with smokeless.

Up here in Canada this pre-1898 shotgun would have been considered antique class and not subject to registration and licensing, i.e. anyone can own it, as long as it's not in the common gauges (10, 12, 16 etc down to 410 bore).

So I talked to Mike at TJ's. He stocks .795 12ga shotgun liners in 45 calibre with 1:16 twist.
One thing is that .795" is still a tad smaller than the 0.811" chambers on this gun. 0.811 sounds like a standard diameter for 12ga, does it not?

For the Canadian authorities to consider conversion permanent, I have to either solder or weld the liner in. Epoxying or locktighting them would not be good enough.

1. Would the existing barrels be soldered together? Is that how the guns were made in the late 1890s? If yes, would it still be possible to solder the liners in somehow, w/o messing with the alignment?
2. Would it be Ok to fill the 0.008" gap between the liner and chambers with soft solder?
3. Another question: the barrels are 30". The liners cost $4.95 per inch, so quite a few bucks to line both barrels.
Can the liners be shorter than the barrels, 20" for example?
4. To what diameter would I have to turn down the liners, if the bore diameter is .716?

So please talk reason into this confused one or talk me out of this project - everything appreciated!

Thank you!