PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Moose

robertbank
02-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Last week as we were sitting down for supper a Cow & Calf moose ranby the klitchen window. The next day they trotted by again going the other way. Well again yesterday it happened and I guess they are having trouble waundering out of the city so they bed down over by the College and trot across our backyard heading north to try to get out of town. Calf is from last spring and will be out on his/her own by the end of spring.
I apologise for the pictures but I wasn't exactly ready for their visit. First two are when they were heading North out of town and the last one was taken last night when they were heading towards the College for the evening.

carpetman
02-27-2007, 04:50 PM
robertbank---What evening classes are those moose taking?

robertbank
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Well it sure isn't map reading! They trotted by the house so close I could have reached out and touched them. Kind of cute to watch the calf follow momma around like a puppy dog. You can see trees in the background in the picture of the female. They both walked into that tree line about a foot and you would not have seen them unless you knew exactly where to look. Kind of hope they get out of town. If they were to get into somebodys fenced back yard I am afraid they would run the risk of being put down.

Take Care

Bob

Scrounger
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Obviously going to the Moose Lodge to find the old man...

Nrut
02-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Robert..heard on the radio driving home work last week that they had to put down a cow (with calf) in Prince George because it attacked a woman...would'nt surprised if they were left alone the cow would still be alive....:(

Halfbreed
03-01-2007, 09:15 PM
I have a video of Americas most dangerous animals. There is a segment about a cow moose and her calf in Anchorage AK. At a store front, then the teens started throwing snow balls at them to make them leave. Some older gentleman went out the door and was immediatly stamped to death. The cow was then killed, and the small calf ran away. 2 maybe 3 deaths due to jerks, hopefully they found a 5x8 home for a good long while.
John

robertbank
03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Well momma and offspring must have found the route out of town because they are now long gone. I suspect most folks up here would just leave them alone. What I found interesting, and I knew this anyway, was how they blended into the tree line. At one point there were but a few small bushes and they just literaly disappeared.

Take Care

Bob

Dale53
03-02-2007, 01:39 AM
My daughter Kelly took her Pharmacy Residency at Anchorage at the Native American Hospital a few years ago. While living in Anchorage, a moose got tangled up in a woman's washing hanging on the clothes line in her back yard. The woman went out with a broom to chase the moose away and was promptly stomped to death.

A few days later, Kelly was biking on the bike trail around Anchorage. A family up ahead ran into a moose. They had a dog with them. Kelly could see that trouble was brewing. The dog was barking and the moose was getting nervous. Kelly had stopped, along with her companion astride their bikes. The moose had enough and left, heading right for Kelly. She told me she remembered what I told her about wild animals (to stand your ground in a non-threatening manner and whatever you do, do NOT run). Before she left for Alaska I happened to mention that Alaskan moose can stand seven feet at the shoulders. She had thought I was exaggerating (she told me afterwards). As the moose passed them, the moose brushed against her handlebars. She said it was at LEAST seven feet tall. She said she had never been more frightened of anything in her life! It went on by and away. They then proceeded down the trail....

Dale53

waksupi
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
For those who haven't been around moose, most around here consider them more dangerous than the grizzly bears. You might survive a bear attack, but little chance with a moose. They look rather benign and slow when you see them, but that is decieving. They can work up a "mad" fast, and are very quick.
I remember a couple years ago, a guy went missing at his cabin down at Red Lodge. It toook the searchers quite a while to realize the scraps of cloth and blood stains was all they were going to find of the victim. Everything else had been stomped into nothing.

robertbank
03-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Yes, and you see folks walking up to them with camera in hand like moose were the family cat. Best to keep your distance.

Take Care

Bob