PDA

View Full Version : Gander Mtn.....GRRRRRRRR

mnkyracer
12-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Just found out today that the Gander Mtn in York, Pa is no longer going to carry any reloading supplies or equipment. I just sent them a polite email that they now lost my business as I would purchase most of my other hunting related items there while picking up reloading stuff, rather than Wally World or the several other sporting goods stores that are closer.

Only one more gun store in the area that stocks any supplies. OKay, I feel better now.

starmac
12-21-2011, 03:33 AM
I have heard that all gander mountain stores were discontinuing and really discounting reloading supplies.

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2011, 04:22 AM
Think I started that a couple months ago. At that time they had 50% off on all reloading products including shotgun stuff. It was a corporate decision.

Isaac
12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
I can understand how you feel if Gander Mountain was you favorite reloading source. I always thought they were out of line with their pricing.

As a suggestion, you may want to give Hakes in Wrightsville a try. Their prices are inline or better than many places and I've always been treated very well there.

Isaac.

ilcop22
12-21-2011, 07:07 AM
It's kind of a pain for me, too. They're the closest place that carries(-ed) reloading supplies (3 minutes!), but their prices are insanely gouged (as are all of their sporting goods) and now the stock has been reduced to primers, a few wads, and some powder. If only Cabela's wasn't a 45 minute drive!

winelover
12-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Gander Mountain went to "Hell in a Hand Basket" when they opened their first retail store. They were much more competative when they were strictly Mail Order. I bought most of my primers from them, in their early years, but stopped when the Bean Counters became squirrelly. Hardly ever go there anymore.

Winelover

bobthenailer
12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
I never bought that much from gander mountian myself but a few years ago in the begining of the obama years a friend who frequints the store allways said they were expensive ! we went to the GM on sunday to do a handgun transfer before doing the transfer the clerk said that there price was $75.00 for the transfer ! #%*#%* I walked out and never will go back . Most gun shops in my area charge about+ or - $35.00 and a local small gun shop charges $15.00 but neither was open on sunday . we went to the local gun shop for the $15.00 transfer on monday.

btroj
12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I wonder ow many of these businesses stop selling reloading supplies due to slow sales on these items?
I am into bargains as much as the next guy but I try to buy all my reloading supplies locally, not on line. If we don't support local businesses financially then why are we ever amazed if they go away?

Murphy
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Gander Mountain,

Same tactics as China Mart, they move in...CHEAP PRICES! Then the locals go belly up because everyone is now buying at Gander Mountain.

Once most of all the other sources for reloading supplies (and firearms) has dried up? WHAM! "Got cha"...now you will pay what we want, or you'll pay the hazmat fee to mail order.

I'll admit to liking low prices, but let's face facts guys. Spend that extra $2 per pound of powder, pay that couple extra bucks on primers. Yeah I know, easy for some to say huh? Well, I'm just an average blue collar working man like the majority of us here. But, it's the only way to keep small stores open.

Murphy

cgtreml
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I know how you feel. Had nothing but bad luck there. Try this. Go to Cheaperthandirt.com From their home page go to firearms online. Scroll down a little and click on find a FFL. They have a map. All you do is enter your zip code and you should have a list of people that will do transfers. Its worked for me

Merry Christmas

white eagle
12-21-2011, 10:19 AM
I hate even the though of going into GM
for all of the reasons stated above
one time I did go in with the bil and was amazed/shocked at the salesperson
when asked about ammo he stated that the ammo we were looking at
wasn't up for the task we were intending on because of the barometric pressure
Nuff Said

hornsurgeon
12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
gander opened a flagship store in germantown, wi called gun world. they have several thousand firearms in stock there. no camping, fishing, etc. AND NO RELOADING STUFF EITHER!!!!!. good thing cabelas and midwest shooters supply are near by.

lbaize3
12-21-2011, 12:08 PM
My nephew left the local Gander Mountain in disgust because of the poor way the new store manager behaved. He fired the local gunsmiths and refused to allow his sales staff to mount scopes, clean firearms or perform even the most basic of work on any firearms. Customers had to send their firearms to Houston for any repairs, thus increasing the cost and time necessary.

Then, the manager decided to organize all of the ammunition in order of the size of the box, rather than by caliber as done in most stores. I had heard more than one of their customers anger at not being able to locate the ammo they needed.

There are other horror stories I could tell you, but the above are enough for all of us to wonder what the CEO is using for a brain. They can not continue to make much of a profit unless they fundamentally change their business practices.

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Way back when. Gander and Herters were the best prices and saw a lot of my money.

Gander was about 100 miles away and had a xeroxed catalog. There were only 2 -3 gun shops in the area. Politics closed them. Thank goodness Cabelas decided to move into the area. They have some great deals and very friendly folks. Bass pro shop is now another 30 miles away but they are about as bad as G M.

To all of you with a shop in the neighborhood, you are lucky.

I am not left stranded for a QUALITY shop as I still have HARRY MC GOWEM about 50 miles away. Will be paying him and his son a visit shortly. [smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

mroliver77
12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
We have no shops here. Never were many. One fellow and his wife had a small gun business. It kept growing until it was too much for them with all the paperwork, taxes etc. They closed it and now it is go to the city to the buttheads store, drive 1 hr to Cabellas or use mail order.

I buy locally at Mom and Pop shops when feasible but sometimes you have to go online to get a good enough deal. I will NOT pay $26 for 1 lb of powder! Even if they were across the street!

I am rarely in a hurry so waiting until I am in the area of Cabellas or have enough needs to place an online order is how I usually work it.

I used to get supplies etc from gun shows. Now they want $5 or more to get in, a parking fee at some of them AND the prices are mostly outrageous.

I guess I have enough supplied to last quite a while. I am too poor to buy a "new" gun so I don't need more dies. I buy my molds here. I guess I really don't need to go to any "sporting goods" store!
J

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=mroliver77;1511799]

I used to get supplies etc from gun shows. Now they want $5 or more to get in, a parking fee at some of them AND the prices are mostly outrageous.

One of the reasons we have to pay at the shows is LAWYERS. Shows didn't used to have police at the doors. Didn't used to have to carry millions of $ worth of insurance. Didn't used to have to pay exorbitant fees to rent the hall, barn, tables, chairs, cooking area etc. Used to be one show where the kitchen was run by the county fairgrounds cooks. Walked in got your food and left the kitchen area. Next you went to the bathroom to get all of the FLYING GREASE off of your glasses. Best hamburgers in the whole state.

We had many dealers selling all kinds of components at very good prices till 1968 then it all changed overnight. One dealer used to have at least 10 tables just of powders and every kind of primer you could ask for. BATFE confiscated his truck and all mdse, auctioned all of it out of the area even before the dealer was told what laws he had violated. Gee if you just lost everything you had in this world how much money do you have for a lawyer to sue the BATFE .

We had a dealer told no more primers or powder last year. His vehicle was not explosion proof.

edler7
12-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I was at the Gander Mountain in Wichita about an hour ago. They had shotgun wads, shot, a few RCBS shell holders, prmiers by the 100 and a little other stuff- but for the most part....NADA.

That's OK with me, Powder Valley is about 45 minutes down the road and their prices are certainly better than Gander Mountain.

bobthenailer
12-22-2011, 10:44 AM
The same friend as before went to GM and bought a box of something and it had a price tag on it , so he went to the cash regester and the box was scanned at about $5.00 more , my friend wanted it for the price marked on th price sticker the clerk would not do it so they got the manager ? he said if my friend wanted the box he would have to pay the scanned price not the sticker price . he said forget it and walked out. another lost customer.

Bad Water Bill
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
No insult to your friend but for more years than I can remember price tags have been switched. For years there was a price tag that would separate into pieces if you tried to remove it. Worked great.

Now with bar coding on the mdse prices can be changed in the office in a matter of minutes, no sticky tags pulled or labels on the shelf forgotten.

IIRC there was a story here about someone putting a tag from a laundry basket ($3.98) on a vac cleaner ($239.99) and demanding she be able to have it at the sticker price.

At this time of year with all the extra help,poorly trained, incorrect pricing of mdse can still happen.

We all like a deal if we can find one but the store still has to turn a profit if YOU expect it to be there when you show up next time.

Freightman
12-22-2011, 06:46 PM
I haven't been in a GM in years only went twice my first time and my last.

troyboy
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I have bought guns from GM and will continue to do so IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT. Most of the time i buy what I can at a show. I prefer the atmosphere and the vendors.

KAF
12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
"I used to get supplies etc from gun shows. Now they want $5 or more to get in, a parking fee at some of them AND the prices are mostly outrageous."

Free parking, the get in fee has went up, but lots of tables and lots of stuff.

http://www.tristategunshow.org/

MBTcustom
12-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Gander lost my business a year ago. I found out about buying powder by mail. yes there is a haz-mat fee but the difference in cost makes it worth while. I checked a couple of months ago and the same pound of powder that Gander was selling for $30 I can get online for $19. At that rate, I only have to buy 3 pounds to break even. And yes there is shipping but no sales tax so I consider it a wash.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
we now have a father and sons that opened a gun shop here in town they are open 2 hours a night and 5-6hours on Saturday and for a bit on Sunday it is worth it to go over there prices aren't usually any more than a few dollars over online an example h4895 was 27.95 for a pound the online price was 24 or so but a drive to gander 35-40 miles away , or Cabela's is well over an hour, and the gas i can't hardly leave town for to go any where without it costing a bunch in gas the nearest towns that are any bigger than our small town are 20 miles or more away

support your local store as best you can , it sure stinks when you have to drive 30 or more miles for anything gas isn't a dollar a gallon any more.

Pigslayer
12-24-2011, 12:12 PM
When I have to pay $29.00 for a lb. of powder at GM, it's worth it to me to pay the hazmat & buy 3 or 4 lbs. online. Yep, you got it, paid $29.00 for 1 lb. of 5744 at GM in Chambersburg, PA

Newtire
12-24-2011, 12:24 PM
If only Cabela's wasn't a 45 minute drive!

I had to chuckle when I read the 45 minute drive thing. I remember being a kid back in Illinois and when we got real excited driving the 20 miles to Clinton, Iowa to go to Paul's discount to get some cheap shooting stuff. Here in Kalifornistan, it's a trip to the computer and buying online up where I live to get reloading stuff. I drive an hour each way to work-not for long though! Idaho here we come!

Pigslayer
12-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I had to chuckle when I read the 45 minute drive thing. I remember being a kid back in Illinois and when we got real excited driving the 20 miles to Clinton, Iowa to go to Paul's discount to get some cheap shooting stuff. Here in Kalifornistan, it's a trip to the computer and buying online up where I live to get reloading stuff. I drive an hour each way to work-not for long though! Idaho here we come!

Lived out in Monterey for eight years with many trips out to Carmel Valley. Beautiful country either for hunting or relaxation. Used to hunt up in El Dorado Nat'l Forest. I miss California just got hard to make a living out there. That and it got to the point where all the freedoms got compromised. Too many social programs and to many laws.
:brokenima

Newtire
12-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Beautiful country either for hunting or relaxation. Used to hunt up in El Dorado Nat'l Forest. I miss California just got hard to make a living out there. That and it got to the point where all the freedoms got compromised. Too many social programs and to many laws.
:brokenima
Used to hunt is the key word here. Restrictions are the thing California is becoming very famous for. Most of that "beautiful" land down by Monterey is privately owned. The mountains around there are about the most inhospitable places on the face of the earth. Beaches around Monterey and all south are wonderful but not any places for hunting. All the area around and East of there is Condor Country. No lead anything anymore including wheelweights.

Used to be able to fish off the pier at night in Santa Cruz but no more of that. No hunting in the Santa Cruz mountains unless you know someone-all private land. Only outdoor shooting range around here costs $16 a day to shoot. I guess I'm just really sick and tired of this whole place.